AAA rotation

southsider2k5

Guest hotsoxchick1

well that didnt come out right did it.... what i was tryin to say is i didnt see west coming out of birmingham anytime soon........dont think he will be seeing too much of trip a yet... as for wright.... i have a feeling surgery is in his near future..........i hope i am wrong on that but just call it a gut feeling.......

What do you think of Ulacia? I've heard he has good stuff, but has a hard time staying healthy.

Here's the skinny (no pun intended) on Ulacia...

He had a horrible year in Burlington in 2000 at 4-14. Then dominated at 4 levels in 2001 (one start in Charlotte and four in Birmingham plus stints in Kannapolis and W-S).

Last year he came back soft. He had gained weight and didn't look nearly as in shape as the year before and again struggled all year. Basically by the end of the year, he was a non-factor and was out of the bullpen.

This year he has lost a lot of weight and looks much better. Doesn't have that soft look like last year. I immediately saw the difference in his face and neck. Apparently, he had a really good spring. He is getting another shot at the rotation. He pitched well against the Sox today.

What do you think of Ulacia? I've heard he has good stuff, but has a hard time staying healthy.

Here's the skinny (no pun intended) on Ulacia...

He had a horrible year in Burlington in 2000 at 4-14. Then dominated at 4 levels in 2001 (one start in Charlotte and four in Birmingham plus stints in Kannapolis and W-S).

Last year he came back soft. He had gained weight and didn't look nearly as in shape as the year before and again struggled all year. Basically by the end of the year, he was a non-factor and was out of the bullpen.

This year he has lost a lot of weight and looks much better. Doesn't have that soft look like last year. I immediately saw the difference in his face and neck. Apparently, he had a really good spring. He is getting another shot at the rotation. He pitched well against the Sox today.

maybe he has learned his lesson.

He is still more of a thrower than a pitcher. He will need to learn to pitch more, or move to the bullpen.

Plus, no room for him in AAA. I have referenced that point several times tonight but it is true. There are only so many spots and if guys don't move up to Chicago, get traded, released or become free agents, then you have a logjam at the top, which slows down movement from the bottom up.

I think they also want to make sure he's healthy and they are better off letting him take it slowly, then too quickly. Malone will make the jump sooner or later, especially since Charlottes rotation won't be as deep as some expected since Stewart will be there and Wright is on the DL. That could make the Sox more prone to move him up earlier, but the key for Malone as Hudler said is for him to continue to grow as a pitcher. He is very "raw" and has tremendous stuff. He just needs a some more time and to stay healthy. If he takes advantage and continues to learn (he seems to be developing quite well) then I think we'll have a pretty special lefty.

I think they also want to make sure he's healthy and they are better off letting him take it slowly, then too quickly.  Malone will make the jump sooner or later, especially since Charlottes rotation won't be as deep as some expected since Stewart will be there and Wright is on the DL.  That could make the Sox more prone to move him up earlier, but the key for Malone as Hudler said is for him to continue to grow as a pitcher.  He is very "raw" and has tremendous stuff.  He just needs a some more time and to stay healthy.  If he takes advantage and continues to learn (he seems to be developing quite well) then I think we'll have a pretty special lefty.

as much i always want the sox prospect to make the show. but reality sinks in. they is not enuf room

so with some teams have a really poor pitching staff. we can clear up some space and trade our excess to obtain a decent "of" or "inf" prospects.

I think pitching prospects are the one area where you always hold onto them and only deal them if another need comes up, because injuries can whipe out a staff more then any other position. Now down the stretch, the Sox may need something and they definately have the reserves there.

I think pitching prospects are the one area where you always hold onto them and only deal them if another need comes up, because injuries can whipe out a staff more then any other position.  Now down the stretch, the Sox may need something and they definately have the reserves there.

but you can clear up some space for those who needs to develop. do we still need to keep a 33 yr aaa pitcher or would that space be better used for a 21 yr prospect.