Reason for a Busy White Sox Offseason

Butter Parque

On some of Anthrax's points I don't agree on, But I do agree on two things other then the fact that we both want KW gone.

1) I do agree that a good GM and a good organization overcomes injuries and other problems to be successful. The Anaheim Angels had a ton of problems last season. Garrett Anderson was out the first half of the season, Erstad was hurt, Colon was pitching like a dog, they had to suspend Jose Guillen in the home-stretch of a playoff race and Tim Salmon, Brendan Donnelly, and Adam Kennady missed a little bit of time. They overcame that though and got into the playoffs, granted they had Vlad Guerrero but we had Paul Konerko and Carlos Lee, so whats our excuse. There are no excuses because injuries are never excuses, they're used as scapegoats of denial. The fact is, we should have been in the playoffs for two straight seasons and we weren't.

2) I also agree with Anthrax on the fact that for the beginning of the 2004 season, Ken Williams did not put the best possible team that he could of on the field. There was no excuse for Scott Shoenweis being our 4th starter. I can accept him being a 5th, but no way in hell a 4th, and don't give  that Robert Person crap because give me a break, Robert Person wasn't helping this ball club. KW is known for his ability to make trades, and maybe he even tried to, to help the pitching staff in the offseason, but the fact is, he didn't help us out. Now no, I wouldn't want him to give up the farm for someone, but it's his job to figure out how to get things done and he failed at that.

Pitching was a huge reason for last season's team not making the playoffs, and who's fault is that. Chisoxfn, in one of his blogs proved that the pitching was the most responsible for the failed season, both starting and relief. There weren't any significant injuries, so what was the problem?

The injuries to Maggs and Frank hurt, but they weren't the deciding factor in our playoffless season, the pitching was and that's KW's fault becuase I think even he would agree that that pitching wasn't the best that could have been put out on the field.

1) Anaheim had a payroll of 122 million dollars.

2) JR told us that if the Sox were doing well and fans started coming out, they would improve the team. Th Sox and fans held up their end of the bargain, so the JR allowed KW to add Garcia, and even approved of trades that would've possibly brought Larry Walker or Carlos Delgado. I expect the Sox to come in with a larger payroll for 2005.

Didn't Scott Schoeneweis have one of the best quality starts to starts ratio in the entire MLB before he got hurt and the Sox put him on the DL? Didn't Buehrle have the second best road ERA in the AL? How much did the Sox offense decline after Frank and Maggs went down? And if you're going to tell me that one less run per game or whatever the average was doesn't make much of a difference, you're wrong. The Sox had one of the best one run game record when both Maggs and Frank were healthy (11-1.) The Sox finished the season being 28-18, or .500 in one run games after Maggs and Frank went on the DL.

Sorry butter, you're wrong, and I'm somewhat dissapointed that you sidesteped my two (long) posts where I address everything that you were whining about.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1)  Anaheim had a payroll of 122 million dollars.

2)  JR told us that if the Sox were doing well and fans started coming out, they would improve the team.  Th Sox and fans held up their end of the bargain, so the JR allowed KW to add Garcia, and even approved of trades that would've possibly brought Larry Walker or Carlos Delgado.  I expect the Sox to come in with a larger payroll for 2005.

Didn't Scott Schoeneweis have one of the best quality starts to starts ratio in the entire MLB before he got hurt and the Sox put him on the DL?  Didn't Buehrle have the second best road ERA in the AL?  How much did the Sox offense decline after Frank and Maggs went down?  And if you're going to tell me that one less run per game or whatever the average was doesn't make much of a difference, you're wrong.  The Sox had one of the best one run game record when both Maggs and Frank were healthy (11-1.)  The Sox finished the season being 28-18, or .500 in one run games after Maggs and Frank went on the DL.

Sorry butter, you're wrong, and I'm somewhat dissapointed that you sidesteped my two (long) posts where I address everything that you were whining about.

1) The point was that when their stars went down, they had players in the minors that were able to step in and help their team overcome those injuries. Something the Sox lack becuase of KW, but I'm sure that is someone elses fault.

2) For someone who has his home page as baseball-reference.com, you would think to look at the numbers of Schoeneweis. His whole career he starts off looking like Nolan Ryan only to fad by end of May. And in 04, look it happen again. He Failed as a Starter with the Angels and they realized that he was best used in the bullpen. Thats like someone else trading for Cotts, knowing that he has failed to be a starter with us. This is the 2nd time, KW made a stupid trade for a pitcher. With Todd Ritchie being the first. I don't care if Ronny was the one that "helped" with the trade, when all is said and done, KW has the label as GM, and the blame falls on him.

What makes this site great is that people are not banned just for being called trolls by enough people, or the 'right' people.  Sometimes you have to tolerate people who are really obvious.  He does follow the rules...

Why do y'all keep responding when he posts?  C'mon, do you really think anyone's going to think you agree w/ him?

His first post in any thread, it's like a roulette wheel.  Just make it entertainment -- try to guess if it's going to be "Oh yeah, Jaret Wright is good" or "Oh yeah, Polanco is good" or "Oh yeah, KW is going to make this team competitive" (always with the rolling eye thingy at the end).  It could be a thread about a new Polish sausage vendor at the Cell, it doesn't matter.  It's just a matter of time.

Anthrax, nothing you say is revolutionary.  Lots of people here think Wright isn't good enough, or Polanco won't help, or KW should be fired, or Podsednik is fantabulous.  It's not the message, noone gives a f, it HAS been said before.  It's the way you do it.  You try to hijack every goddamned thread, you're just egging for a fight.  Stop that and you'll get respect.  I don't think you care, so I'm not getting involved w/ you.

Don't let him ruin every thread.  You don't need an ignore feature to ignore someone.

An excellent post Jackie. Quit responding and he loses all effectiveness. Great advice for all who are wasting posts on this stuff.

You guys are missing the point, it doesn't matter what the payroll is, they weren't bringing 20 million dollar players off the bench to fill in. They brought guys like Jeff Davanon, Dallas McPherson, Casey Kotchman to come in for them. It ha snothing to do with payrolls, it's good team battling adversity and we didn't do it. Instead we found excuses and felt sorry for ourselves. Well guess what, NO ONE IN THE LEAGUE REALLY CARES THAT WE LOST MAGGS AND FRANK, THERE'S NO ONE CRYING ABOUT IT AT HOME RIGHT NOW, THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!!!