Do you agree with 3 catchers?(No Miles)

bmags

I agree that 3 catchers is not necessary. JP is just being kept as insurance at this point and I don't think he will be there for long unless Olivo fails. Wouldn't shock me to see JP traded.

I agree Miles earned a shot and apparently JM wanted to keep him, but that got nixed in favor of being cautious due to the possibility of losing JP to waivers. If JP had another option left, he would be in Charlotte right now.

well, I agree that we shouldn't be carrying three catchers, but I'm not in agreement about Miles being there instead. Miles looks good, but not as a backup second baseman. I would've prefered to see Harrs up instead. he can play second and center and has speed. And if they were gonna go with three catchers, the third should've been Burke, who can play third, instead of Paul, who can play left. By having Burke, Graffanino doesn't have to cover three positions off the bench, just two. With Paul, we have four left fielders.

The reason they brought both Paul and Olivo is because Olivo they believe is too talented and needs to be up and learn from Alomar who they plan on dumping at the end of the year (replacing him with Olivo) and they didn't want to lose Paul to another team.

aaron miles earned a spot on this team...hell he even outplayed jimenez...if d'angelo gets off to a slow start you could see miles replacing him as the starting 2nd baeman soon

Agreed that Miles did everything he could to make the team. If JP is out of the equation, Miles still may not make it. JM wanted Miles, KW wanted Harris.

With Willie already on the 40-man, I think he would have won out anyway.

Guest hotsoxchick1
aaron miles earned a spot on this team...hell he even outplayed jimenez...if d'angelo gets off to a slow start you could see miles replacing him as the starting 2nd baeman soon

baggs i agree .. miles earned that spot... he should be on the team... i would have let paul fly the wire for a while.. its not like anyone needs him anyhow and are beating down doors to get him..... he would have went around and ended back here anyhow..........

baggs i agree .. miles earned that spot... he should be on the team... i would have let paul fly the wire for a while.. its not like anyone needs him anyhow and are beating down doors to get him..... he would have went around and ended back here anyhow..........

Obviously, KW disagrees......... He's scared to lose JP at this point.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Obviously, KW disagrees......... He's scared to lose JP at this point.

well in all honesty can you name one team who would have a dire need for paul??? miles is not one of kw's boys im sure... and kw is a moron not to see that this kid has talent and plays with his heart and soul.... a definate poster boy for the type of teamwork he wants to promote this year............it just doesnt make any sense but is a typical kw move............

San Diego. THe key is the Sox don't know what they have in Burke and they don't know whether Olivo is ready. They also know there is a good chance that Alomar gets hurt, so if Olivo isn't ready, Burke is a ? then at least you have a guy in Paul that is familiar with the pitching and is alright. He's not absolutely worthless and I do believe the Padres or a few other teams would consider picking him up.

Miles still has to play in AAA, imo. Then once he does that and proves himself, then can he go onto the next step and try to prove himself once again. I liked what I saw from him, but his numbers definately fell later in spring. Is that a sign of him hitting a slump or is it a sign that when he started facing better pitching he was overmatched? It may be neither, I wasn't there watching every game so I can't tell.

Miles still has to play in AAA, imo.  Then once he does that and proves himself, then can he go onto the next step and try to prove himself once again.  I liked what I saw from him, but his numbers definately fell later in spring.  Is that a sign of him hitting a slump or is it a sign that when he started facing better pitching he was overmatched?  It may be neither, I wasn't there watching every game so I can't tell.

As usual, I completely agree.

Miles was great the first 2 weeks of ST, but in the last 2 weeks, his average dropped about 80 points. And logic would tell you that he faced scrubbier pitching in the 1st part of ST than in the 2nd part. His final numbers were better than D'Angelo, but not by enough to warrent taking the starting 2B job away from him. Let Aaron start off in AAA, and if he's playing well, possibly bring him up sometime in the summer and let him be a back-up. But, hitting .380 in 10 spring training games doesn't mean much of anything.

I think they will see how Olivo responds in a month period. If Olivo is all well, JP is gone either traded if somebody want his ass or just release him. I like Miles, Manuel compared him to Eckstein, we need pesky guys like him on the SOX who gets on base with lots of energy. Can he play SS? All I heard today at ESPN is how the Sox cant catch the ball and pointed out on Valentin.

3 catchers is pretty ridiculous. If alomar does indeed get hurt, you can find someone else that can backup olivo that is just as good as Paul. The guy is nothing special, i don't see why KW is afraid to lose him. 3 catchers and one infielder is a joke...it would be nice to have harris who could play outfield and infield, and if not miles certainly seemed to play his way onto the team. I don't like going into the year with only graffanino able to play 2,3, and ss. That's kinda dicey. I'm completely against this and don't see the positives in this situation...it seems as if it's supposed to be not losing Paul. However, i don't think i'd lose too much sleep over losing Paul. And i mean you can't even use the guy as a pinch hitter either...this is pretty pointles.

I think they will see how Olivo responds in a month period. If Olivo is all well, JP is gone either traded if somebody want his ass or just release him. I like Miles, Manuel compared him to Eckstein, we need pesky guys like him on the SOX who gets on base with lots of energy. Can he play SS? All I heard today at ESPN is how the Sox cant catch the ball and pointed out on Valentin.

This is the best defensive team the Sox have fielded in the past 5 years or so. Not saying its awesome, but its far better then what we've been used to.

All I heard today at ESPN is how the Sox cant catch the ball and pointed out on Valentin.

Are you suggesting we bench or trade Jose in favor of Miles? If so, I think that's a big mistake, because Jose is one of our most important leaders -- not to mention his 25 HR and around 75 RBI. Valentin made nearly 40 errors in 2000, and nobody seemed to care very much because we were winning. Remember....Winning heals all wounds.

\Valentin made nearly 40 errors in 2000, and nobody seemed to care very much because we were winning.

A lot of us noticed - and cared.

The fact that the need to upgrade ledf to one of the more less-than-satisfying moves in WS history cannot be denied but neither can the desire for an upgrade after cringing all through the 2000 season.

If JosE6 keeps it to 20 errors this year full time, I will be very grateful -

if I have to keep recording E6 on my scorecards all season I will be very unhappy.

\Valentin made nearly 40 errors in 2000, and nobody seemed to care very much because we were winning.

A lot of us noticed - and cared.

The fact that the need to upgrade ledf to one of the more less-than-satisfying moves in WS history cannot be denied but neither can the desire for an upgrade after cringing all through the 2000 season.

If JosE6 keeps it to 20 errors this year full time, I will be very grateful -

if I have to keep recording E6 on my scorecards all season I will be very unhappy.

Yep, the Sox "upgraded", and you see how it turned out. Pretty much everyone hated Clayton and it apparently was very bad for team chemistry. Now the Sox are back to what works -- Jose at SS (did you see their record with him at SS last season? Think that's just a coincidence?). And I don't care if he makes 50 errors as long as he's doing other things to help the team win and overcome those miscues.