Bambi's Daddy is now dead...

Heads22

Friday nite I stayed up late playing poker.....15 foot up in a tree is not a good place to fall asleep.....I nearly fell out of the tree the next morning...it's not really a sport, but hey, it's still a thrill. We have every deer processed too. I think we're processing one and eating it, giving one away for food and donating one to a program to help feed the needy.

Got an 8-point buck at about 4 this afternoon. God, field dressing a buck is an odd ordeal that is a lot different than a doe....just awkward.

9 hunters, 7 deer, 6 bucks over two days. And I won 20 bucks in a game of hold'em. :headbang

Congratulations on your catch! It's a great thrill to put down a good sized buck. I have a 10 and 11 pointer haging on my wall. My wife hates 'em. :lol:

Not a sport.

Closer than grabbing a package from Jewel's butcher shop. Remember, someone had to kill the cow. I respect a vegetarian for criticizing hunting, but when someone criticizes hunting while munching down on their McDonald's Big Mac, I have to laugh. IMHO anyone who eats meat should be required to kill and process an animal. If after that you still want a nice t-bone, you earned it.

The season is just now beginning in south Texas. One of the adjustments I had moving down here is everything is on private land and they charge $$$$ for access. No friendly farmers wanting you to thin the herd. Here it is expensive leases. Besides all the usual expenses of travel, processing, etc. add $1,500 and up for access.

As a side note, we also have a big feral hog population. Those can be had for almost nothing. They love the corn that is put out for the deer.

Closer than grabbing a package from Jewel's butcher shop. Remember, someone had to kill the cow. I respect a vegetarian for criticizing hunting, but when someone criticizes hunting while munching down on their McDonald's Big Mac, I have to laugh. IMHO anyone who eats meat should be required to kill and process an animal. If after that you still want a nice t-bone, you earned it.

The season is just now beginning in south Texas. One of the adjustments I had moving down here is everything is on private land and they charge $$$$ for access. No friendly farmers wanting you to thin the herd. Here it is expensive leases. Besides all the usual expenses of travel, processing, etc. add $1,500 and up for access.

As a side note, we also have a big feral hog population. Those can be had for almost nothing. They love the corn that is put out for the deer.

$1500!? Wow.

I got both of mine in Indiana on private land of a dairy farmer that I used to pick up his milk. They became great friends and invited me to go hunting with them. I had never been before. The first year I got the 10 pointer in about 20 minutes. I think they were more excited than I was. The next year it took about 2 hours to get my big boy (11 pointer, 165 pounds field dressed). I haven't gone again. I'm 2 for 2. :D

$1500!? Wow.

I got both of mine in Indiana on private land of a dairy farmer that I used to pick up his milk. They became great friends and invited me to go hunting with them. I had never been before. The first year I got the 10 pointer in about 20 minutes. I think they were more excited than I was. The next year it took about 2 hours to get my big boy (11 pointer, 165 pounds field dressed). I haven't gone again. I'm 2 for 2.  :D

That's about the starting point. Plus you usually share the corn costs. These deer are finished up with corn for a month or two to improve the flavor of the ones that are processed.

Many of the herds are carefully managed, aerial surveyed, crops planted just for their consumption, etc. It is business for some. For a real sticker shocker, price out some of the guided hunts at the King Ranch.

We also have opportunities for exotics as well. Various animals have been imported and carefully controlled. I have not heard of any of the guaranteed kill hunts like in Africa where they will pen a Zebra, big cat, etc. in and basically let you process it like cattle. But there are some that will charge $X for the hunt and $X++ if you are successful. I've seen some antelopes on one ranch.

Almost everything here is in stands with rifles. Not a lot of shotgun for deer. Also very little archery.

Is that like the one Hank and Bobby from "King of the Hill" went on?  :lol:

I missed that episode.

This time of year it is hard to separate the millionaire businessman and celebrity jets flying down here for hunts from the millionaire drug runner's jets ;)

King Ranch has it's own airfield. At one time the ranch would have been the 48th largest state.