There's a Disorder for everything

mreye

My company sends out a newsletter. The latest started like this:

While most of us look forward to the holidays, whether it's Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, or Kwanza, for some people this is their most difficult time of the year. Over 25 million Americans suffer from some degree of the winter blues. Feelings of longing, listlessness and sadness are not uncommon. These feelings may be associated with the holiday blahs, or with depression, but they may also be symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

I hate winter too, but SAD? Give me a fricking break! :puke

Here's more:

Dos and Don’ts to Survive the Holidays

Don't cling to visions of a Norman Rockwell family moment. That happens only in paintings.

Do remind yourself that the holidays may have been so wonderful in childhood because you had no responsibility for making the magic. If you have grown-up expectations, you won't be so disappointed.

Do make a list of all your traditions, from decorating to Christmas caroling. Keep the ones you love (forget about impressing other people), and cross off the ones you don't.

Don't think twice about asking guests to bring food to your holiday party. Why should you have to do all the cooking when most people are perfectly happy with a potluck?

Don't isolate yourself. Seek out kindred souls and spend time with them. If you're newly divorced, join a support group, volunteer at a homeless shelter, or shop for elderly neighbors so you have some human contact.

Do have compassion for yourself during the holidays. If you're not in a celebratory mood, you're not the only one.

Don't give up your workout. Exercise is one of the best ways to relieve stress

Don't skimp on sleep either—you'll feel cranky and less able than usual to deal with stress. Regular insomnia and oversleeping are signs of depression. A counselor or therapist can help.

Don't spend randomly. Set a limit for gifts—and stick to it.

Reminds me of the school my friend is observing at for the secondary education program. We have a middle school placement (so basically junior high) and during the teacher meetings, the administrators and some teachers talk about how kids need to be medicated, what kids should be medicated etc.

It's insane -- they keep the kids at their desks doing worksheets for the whole day and then wonder why they are fidgeting in the slightest.

Reminds me of the school my friend is observing at for the secondary education program.  We have a middle school placement (so basically junior high) and during the teacher meetings, the administrators and some teachers talk about how kids need to be medicated, what kids should be medicated etc.

It's insane -- they keep the kids at their desks doing worksheets for the whole day and then wonder why they are fidgeting in the slightest.

Where did these teachers get their medical degrees? :rolly

My company sends out a newsletter. The latest started like this:

I hate winter too, but SAD? Give me a fricking break! :puke

This might be more related to people who go into deep depression in the winter since they do not recieve enough sunlight, rather than Holiday blues. As therapy they have to sit under bright lights a few hours a day.

This might be more related to people who go into deep depression in the winter since they do not recieve enough sunlight, rather than Holiday blues. As therapy they have to sit under bright lights a few hours a day.

What? 25 million Americans?