We Got Zook!

I think its funny that before the season, everyone was b****ing that the Big 10 got no respect.  But now, "a weak Big 10" is a selling point to get a coach to the Illini.  :lol:

I never said anything about the Big 10 not getting respect..

IMO the big 10 is weak

I think that Zook will be able to have success here because of that too

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great signing.. Zook is a good recruiter, and the SEC is no pushover conference..

Yeah Florida was 7 - 4 but if you take away the upset to Miss St they lost to three top teams in the nation.. Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU.. those are tough schools to beat

Zook is gonna be able to come into a very weak Big 1o imo and bring in his recruits play his style of ball.. I think its a very very good move for us..

Take away the Mississippi State game?? How do you figure? He lost to Mississippi State, it did happen, it was a loss. If you take away that game, he still has a job. He lost his job because he lost that game. You can't just ignore the fact that they lost to a 3-8 team who themselves lost to MAINE. Even my school beat Maine.

Take away the Mississippi State game??  How do you figure?  He lost to Mississippi State, it did happen, it was a loss.  If you take away that game, he still has a job.  He lost his job because he lost that game.  You can't just ignore the fact that they lost to a 3-8 team who themselves lost to MAINE.  Even my school beat Maine.

....cool

Since you basically b****ed about something I didnt even mean like you took it.. Everyone was saying they had a down year, and I said if you take away the Mississippi State loss their other losses were to three 9 win teams..

I wasnt trying to pretend like it didnt happen :headshake

Great pick up for Illinois. This will show just how good of a recruiter he is. Recruiting for a program that is rebuilding is going to be a lot tougher than recruiting at UF. Regardless, he should make things should be interesting the next of years.

Now IU just needs to figure out how to turn things around, they're getting out-recruited by Ball State.

As for the Big 10 being weak right now, I think the bowl games will be a pretty good measure of where the conference stands.

I think this is a great signing.. Zook is a good recruiter, and the SEC is no pushover conference..

Yeah Florida was 7 - 4 but if you take away the upset to Miss St they lost to three top teams in the nation.. Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU.. those are tough schools to beat

Zook is gonna be able to come into a very weak Big 10 imo and bring in his recruits play his style of ball.. I think its a very very good move for us..

WE beat Tennessee...and we were an average team (ND that is...6-5). I wouldn't consider Tennesee a "great" team this year, let alone one of the top teams in the country. Sure Tennessee has nine wins, but I would not consider them that scary of a team...maybe it's just because I thought we were just that bad. :ph34r:

WE beat Tennessee...and we were an average team (ND that is...6-5). I wouldn't consider Tennesee a "great" team this year, let alone one of the top teams in the country. Sure Tennessee has nine wins, but I would not consider them that scary of a team...maybe it's just because I thought we were just that bad.  :ph34r:

You were. They aren't.

You made that TOO easy! ;)

haha. yea I know I did...

However, Tennessee is really not all that good, I mean they started two freshman qb's. I really don't care what anyone says concerning their talent, adjusting to the college game as a true freshman is extremely difficult and it would seem that it takes at least a year to get comfortable. Probably why their offense hasn't been all that great this year...well that and injuries. Like I said maybe I'm biased in my opinion, but there are plenty other teams in the country that are probably better than Tennessee. (Also, their schedule is something like blah...blah...FLORIDA...blah...blah GEORGIA...and sometimes Auburn or LSU. Again this could be the ND bias seeing as though we always play a tough schedule so my vision of a "normal" schedule is a bit skewed).

If Zook is such a great recruiter, and a great coach who really was a victim of Spurrier's laziness his last few years, why did Florida FIRE him?

there's not a legitimate reason for every coaches' firing.

following a legend isn't easy. fireronzook.com was up and running within days of him being hired, before he'd coached a game. in that climate, really, you're going to be under the gun and probably get the ax at any misstep.

WE beat Tennessee...and we were an average team (ND that is...6-5). I wouldn't consider Tennesee a "great" team this year, let alone one of the top teams in the country. Sure Tennessee has nine wins, but I would not consider them that scary of a team...maybe it's just because I thought we were just that bad.  :ph34r:

You also beat Michigan, does that make them an OK team too :ph34r:

ND wasnt a bad team.. they just showed to play one day then they were nowhere to be found the next week

One caveat to the ND game was that Erik Ainge got hurt halfway through the game, and Rick Clausen had to come in because Brent Schaeffer was already hurt. Tennessee is a solid team, they lost three games; that one, and two against Auburn.

One caveat to the ND game was that Erik Ainge got hurt halfway through the game, and Rick Clausen had to come in because Brent Schaeffer was already hurt.  Tennessee is a solid team, they lost three games; that one, and two against Auburn.

Exactly.. Tennessee is very solid, dont discredit ND too much... they arent terrible

Someone at that fine learning institution should tell its new coach that the s at the end of Illinois is silent.

He only did that a few times, haha, but I noticed it too...

Either way, it is a great move for Illinois.. Cant wait for next season, and hopefully he brings more Florida recruits with him!

Fantastic signing.  His recruiting ability alone makes this a great move.

Welcome to IllinoiS Coach Zook! :cheers

Hell yes...

and the Illini already have the #8 RB in the Nation commited (RaShard Mendenhall).. to add to an already deep RB pos. we are going to be able to turn this around pretty quickly IMO

plus the fact that you never know who Zook might bring with him recruiting wise from Florida to Illinois, I heard a LBer was already switching to Illinois

Hell yes...

and the Illini already have the #8 RB in the Nation commited (RaShard Mendenhall).. to add to an already deep RB pos. we are going to be able to turn this around pretty quickly IMO

plus the fact that you never know who Zook might bring with him recruiting wise from Florida to Illinois, I heard a LBer was already switching to Illinois

I played high school football down the street from RaShard. He's a great back with great vision. He'll be the face of Illinois football within the next three years; you heard it hear first. ;)

I played high school  football down the street from RaShard.  He's a great back with great vision.  He'll be the face of Illinois football within the next three years; you heard it hear first. ;)

s***, I dont doubt you.. I played football against Vince Young, Reggie McNeal, Selvin Young, and Courtney Lewis.. Its easy to see when someone is gonna be badass in college

Im so excited for next season its not even funny, too bad its a long wait :angry:

s***, I dont doubt you.. I played football against Vince Young, Reggie McNeal, Selvin Young, and Courtney Lewis.. Its easy to see when someone is gonna be badass in college

Im so excited for next season its not even funny, too bad its a long wait  :angry:

Hey...in the meantime, we have the #f***ing1 team in the country.

Not too shabby.

This is an amazing time to be an Illini fan. This campus has been buzzing for weeks now.

(I'm currently watching Zook's press-confrence on fightinillini.com, so I'm excited too :drink )

Hey...in the meantime, we have the #f***ing1 team in the country.

Not too shabby.

This is an amazing time to be an Illini fan.  This campus has been buzzing for weeks now.

(I'm currently watching Zook's press-confrence on fightinillini.com, so I'm excited too :drink )

Yeah I am hoping that Zook can get the football games to be as crazy as the basketball games and get more recognition to the football program, that would be a huge step for them

dammit I wish I still lived in Illinois!!!! stupid ass Texas :angry:

I have a funny story about Vince Young

When I was a Junior and he was a senior, we were playing in the Bi District finals of the State Playoffs (Katy Vs. Houston Madison) and Houston Madison had Vince Young (Starting QB at Texas) and Courtney Lewis (Starting RB at Texas A&M) on the same team.. They were scoring like 40 ppg and were undefeated, but thats kinda beyond the point..

Anyways it was late in 4th and we were down by 6 and my friend was at QB.. There wasnt much time left so we were throwing.. Well they put Vince Young in at Safety and he Intercepted my friends pass and went like 70 yards for a TD to seal the game..

I always make fun of him and tell him that when he gets older and has kids and Vince Young is in the NFL he can tell them that he threw a TD pass to Vince Young in High School :lol:

I have a funny story about Vince Young

When I was a Junior and he was a senior, we were playing in the Bi District finals of the State Playoffs (Katy Vs. Houston Madison) and Houston Madison had Vince Young (Starting QB at Texas) and Courtney Lewis (Starting RB at Texas A&M) on the same team.. They were scoring like 40 ppg and were undefeated, but thats kinda beyond the point..

Anyways it was late in 4th and we were down by 6 and my friend was at QB.. There wasnt much time left so we were throwing.. Well they put Vince Young in at Safety and he Intercepted my friends pass and went like 70 yards for a TD to seal the game..

I always make fun of him and tell him that when he gets older and has kids and Vince Young is in the NFL he can tell them that he threw a TD pass to Vince Young in High School  :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Since we are reminiscing...

Funny story about RaShard.

I tried to tackle him...he nearly snapped me in half. :lol:

That's about all ya need to know about his running ability. I did everything right, broke down, hit him hard...and he nearly snapped me in half...and I was a three-year starter LOL. Dude can play.

:lol:  :lol:

Since we are reminiscing...

Funny story about RaShard. 

I tried to tackle him...he nearly snapped me in half. :lol:  

That's about all ya need to know about his running ability.  I did everything right, broke down, hit him hard...and he nearly snapped me in half...and I was a three-year starter LOL.  Dude can play.

:lol:

Thats badass, because I am looking forward to Illini football now.. insted of wondering what D1-AA team we will beat next

I still remember my first ever play on Varsity.. It was a kick return, and Pagitte McGee (Starting LB at Oklahoma State since he was a freshman) knocked the s*** out of me and broke my collar bone.. He hit me dead on his helmet into my collar bone at full speed... It was the hardest I have ever been hit in my whole life