KW conference call re: winter meetings

Guest JimH

I wasn't sure how to provide a link, but it's on the Sox official site. About 25 minutes long, he obviously can't say too much but there are some nuggets.

He discusses Vizquel, R. Johnson, and some other interesting topics.

Most interesting to me ... he likes Uribe at SS and he alluded to Harris having talent but wanting someone to compete with Willie, especially a right handed hitter who can handle tough lefthanders.

He also wouldn't comment on RF situation, other than basically kissing Maggs bye bye, no surprise. He was asked specifically about who might start in RF and he cautioned the media guys that it's way too soon for projected lineups, there will be changes.

One guy asked specifically about Borchard, KW said they had high hopes for him, still do, they hope he's in the plans. Meaning, to me, it's up to Borchard to perform.

On catching, KW said he'd been after Ben Davis for a while, he tried to get Kendall. He likes both Davis and Burke, doesn't know there's a whole lot out there (I still think they'll bring in a veteran).

Interesting listen.

Honestly, what's he supposed to say?

He can't name names, he can't really talk that much about positions. To me, he seemed guarded and intent on not tipping his hand.

He said not to even look at potential lineups at this point, that there will be changes.

Isn't that what everyone wants?

Don't have the time to listen to it? Did he mention anything about the bullpen and/or the rotation?

The part on Willie would make me think that Eric Young would be a perfect fit. I know Cheat has long talked about him in the platoon mold.

Reading between the lines in RF, sounds to me like Kenny plans on making a move their.

Personally I think position wise RF is the first move that should be made. I can live with Willie/Juan and a vet backup but I can't live with Borchard/Escobar or Everett.

Don't have the time to listen to it?  Did he mention anything about the bullpen and/or the rotation? 

The part on Willie would make me think that Eric Young would be a perfect fit.  I know Cheat has long talked about him in the platoon mold.

Reading between the lines in RF, sounds to me like Kenny plans on making a move their. 

Personally I think position wise RF is the first move that should be made.  I can live with Willie/Juan and a vet backup but I can't live with Borchard/Escobar or Everett.

Jason ... isn't E. Young signed/sealed/delivered somewhere? Thought I'd read he'd either signed with someone or was about to. I agree he wouldn't be the worst fit.

He steadfastly would not comment on priorities and was careful not to talk specifically about pitching. He did say Vizquel was part of Plan A, and alluded to Johnson being part of Plan A as well.

Good news is, he's said they've made signficant progress toward Plan B. I do not know what that means, nor care to speculate. But KW said at the end of the year they were going after pitching, so take it for what it's worth.

I agree on your RF assessment. He did go out of his way to tell the media guys to not bother to make penciled in lineups ... there will be changes.

He also commented what we've been saying ... a lot of the player movement won't shake out until January.

To me ... those expecting all the moves to be done in the next 10 days, I think not. And that's just fine with me, the non-tender date was mentioned specifically by KW as being part of the sorting out process.

Jason ... isn't E. Young signed/sealed/delivered somewhere?  Thought I'd read he'd either signed with someone or was about to.  I agree he wouldn't be the worst fit.

Free agent Eric Young is close to signing a deal with the Padres.

Young hit .329/.413/.451 in 164 AB against lefties for the Rangers last season, so the Padres will probably platoon him with either Sean Burroughs or Ryan Klesko. He can also back up Mark Loretta. From rotoworld.

What I think is the Sox make a push at a middle infielder. Judging from Ozzie's comments, he's not comfortable having both Juan and Willie playing everyday.

This means they are probably serious about Renteria. I'm guessing plan B is Renteria and Wright or another pitcher.

The rest of plan b is sit around, wait for non-tenders, field trade offers for one of the bats, and pick up a non tendered outfielder as well as a non tendered reliever or something along those lines.

If they go with that plan they wouldn't have to trade any of the bats either. I expect the Sox to make some noise in the next 7-10 days though.

Personally I think position wise RF is the first move that should be made.  I can live with Willie/Juan and a vet backup but I can't live with Borchard/Escobar or Everett.

I thought you wanted pitching first? Our era was awful, I can't believe a pitcher should be put behind an outfielder.

He also commented what we've been saying ... a lot of the player movement won't shake out until January.

To me ... those expecting all the moves to be done in the next 10 days, I think not.  And that's just fine with me, the non-tender date was mentioned specifically by KW as being part of the sorting out process.

If Williams said this, you'll all have the honor of listening to my complaints for another month. I can guarantee, and I'll bookmark it for proof, that if Williams sits on his ass until January Jaret Wright will already be gone. If the problems of this organization have been properly assessed, and adequate players are located within their price range, then what's the damn holdup?

Who exactly dictates whether or not moves are made until that date? George Steinbrenner? Scott Boras? The "market"? Every passing day it becomes clearer and clearer the similarities between last offseason and this year.

I hope plan B is Hudson. I really believe Beane would deal Hudson cause he probably won't extend his contract, he's got arms coming up and he needs bats. Since they dealt Redman they would probably require a pitcher in return which in our case could be Cotts or could be Garland.

Even if we don't get Hudson I would prefer a ground ball pitcher over a power pitcher just cause we play in Coors Lite. Derek Lowe had a high ERA but his GB/FB ratio was over 5. Which to me means he was getting the ball up, his defense sucked, or just bad luck. He would be a good gamble and could end up relatively cheap $5-8/year. Plus I'm pretty sure he consistantly has a low number of walks.

I hope plan B is Hudson. I really believe Beane would deal Hudson cause he probably won't extend his contract, he's got arms coming up and he needs bats. Since they dealt Redman they would probably require a pitcher in return which in our case could be Cotts or could be Garland.

Even if we don't get Hudson I would prefer a ground ball pitcher over a power pitcher just cause we play in Coors Lite. Derek Lowe had a high ERA but his GB/FB ratio was over 5. Which to me means he was getting the ball up, his defense sucked, or just bad luck. He would be a good gamble and could end up relatively cheap $5-8/year. Plus I'm pretty sure he consistantly has a low number of walks.

Lowe's g/f ratio was 2.87. If it was five he would practically never throw a flyball. He got rocked the last two years and i do not see him posting a sub 4.25 era again as a starting pitcher. But some team will be foolish and give him 8-10 million because of the terrific post season he had.

Every passing day it becomes clearer and clearer the similarities between last offseason and this year.

Like today, who? Last signing I heard of was Todd Pratt. That's the difference?

Free agents don't know the market very well until after the arbitration deadline. Jaret Wright has been linked to the Mariners ($80 mil payroll) and the Yankees ($1 bajillion payroll). The Sox offer $6 mil, or heck, say $6.5 mil. Why would you not wait? It doesn't mean the Sox won't end up as the highest bidder. But maybe we don't pay $7.5 mil to a very injury-prone starter. Patience is a virtue, man.

Like today, who?  Last signing I heard of was Todd Pratt.  That's the difference?

Free agents don't know the market very well until after the arbitration deadline.  Jaret Wright has been linked to the Mariners ($80 mil payroll) and the Yankees ($1 bajillion payroll).  The Sox offer $6 mil, or heck, say $6.5 mil.  Why would you not wait?  It doesn't mean the Sox won't end up as the highest bidder.  But maybe we don't pay $7.5 mil to a very injury-prone starter.  Patience is a virtue, man.

Agreed. No doubt that it's hard to wait, it's basically been killing me to wait for the sox to do something but like you said patience is a virtue. I have faith something will happen that will make everyone(well most people) very happy in the near future.

Lowe's g/f ratio was 2.87. If it was five he would practically never throw a flyball. He got rocked the last two years and i do not see him posting a sub 4.25 era again as a starting pitcher. But some team will be foolish and give him 8-10 million because of the terrific post season he had.

My bad. I had read somewhere that his GB/FB ratio was over 5. It may have been at sometime during the season or something. I checked ESPN and you were right. :smilesanta

I wasn't sure how to provide a link, but it's on the Sox official site.  About 25 minutes long, he obviously can't say too much but there are some nuggets.

He discusses Vizquel, R. Johnson, and some other interesting topics.

Most interesting to me ... he likes Uribe at SS and he alluded to Harris having talent but wanting someone to compete with Willie, especially a right handed hitter who can handle tough lefthanders.

He also wouldn't comment on RF situation, other than basically kissing Maggs bye bye, no surprise.  He was asked specifically about who might start in RF and he cautioned the media guys that it's way too soon for projected lineups, there will be changes.

One guy asked specifically about Borchard, KW said they had high hopes for him, still do, they hope he's in the plans.  Meaning, to me, it's up to Borchard to perform.

On catching, KW said he'd been after Ben Davis for a while, he tried to get Kendall.  He likes both Davis and Burke, doesn't know there's a whole lot out there (I still think they'll bring in a veteran).

Interesting listen.

Damn did he say we'll be flying under the Radar?

On catching, KW said he'd been after Ben Davis for a while, he tried to get Kendall.  He likes both Davis and Burke, doesn't know there's a whole lot out there (I still think they'll bring in a veteran).

Interesting listen.

Only the sharp eye of Kenny Williams sees the true talent in Ben Davis.

Considering the bag of balls Pitt got for Kendall, I doubt he tried too hard; either that or JR told him no increase in payroll. Mike Jackson (resign him for this occasion) and Schoenweiss would have come close to matching the package Oakland gave

Considering the bag of balls Pitt got for Kendall, I doubt he tried too hard; either that or JR told him no increase in payroll.  Mike Jackson (resign him for this occasion) and Schoenweiss would have come close to matching the package Oakland gave

Redman is a lefty that can post a sub 4.25 era. Also rhodes is a good left handed reliever but not for the money he is making. What they got for him was far from a bag of balls.

Considering the bag of balls Pitt got for Kendall, I doubt he tried too hard; either that or JR told him no increase in payroll.  Mike Jackson (resign him for this occasion) and Schoenweiss would have come close to matching the package Oakland gave

And I'm sure Kendall's no trade clause and desire to play on the west coast had nothing to do with the Sox not being able to get him. :rolly

I also like you say only Kenny could see something in Ben Davis despite the fact that Ben Davis was a first round draft choice, and Baseball America had thisto say about him:

Baseball America ranked him the nation's second-best prospect among draft-eligible high school and college players, the best defensive high school player and the prep player closest to the Majors

But of course, only Kenny the idiot sees something special in Ben. :rolly

And I'm sure Kendall's no trade clause and desire to play on the west coast had nothing to do with the Sox not being able to get him.  :rolly

I also like you say only Kenny could see something in Ben Davis despite the fact that Ben Davis was a first round draft choice, and Baseball America had thisto say about him:

But of course, only Kenny the idiot sees something special in Ben.  :rolly

They also rated him that over 7 years ago. Eventually you have to produce consistently. Nothing I would love more than for Davis to kick ass, but it would be nice if KW got us an All Star C like Kendall. But then again, we may never know if that was possible.

They also rated him that over 7 years ago.  Eventually you have to produce consistently.  Nothing I would love more than for Davis to kick ass, but it would be nice if KW got us an All Star C like Kendall.  But then again, we may never know if that was possible.

Peter Gammons is reporting that Pierzynski may be non-tendered. I hate the prick, but if he's willing to help our team out, I'm all for it.

f*** the Twins. :usa

He steadfastly would not comment on priorities and was careful not to talk specifically about pitching.  He did say Vizquel was part of Plan A, and alluded to Johnson being part of Plan A as well.

Good news is, he's said they've made signficant progress toward Plan B.  I do not know what that means, nor care to speculate.  But KW said at the end of the year they were going after pitching, so take it for what it's worth.

I agree on your RF assessment.  He did go out of his way to tell the media guys to not bother to make penciled in lineups ... there will be changes.

To me ... those expecting all the moves to be done in the next 10 days, I think not.  And that's just fine with me, the non-tender date was mentioned specifically by KW as being part of the sorting out process.

I agree. The Sox could make a few moves soon w/ FA signings [Jaret Wright and Renteria] and let the market sort itself out later. The Sox have their SP set, and can wait for other teams to propose trades for their players [PK, maybe Garland, even Lee, etc]. Everyone knows PK would have to be traded, but KW can say publicly that he's content w/ his team as is. The other teams will be scrambling

Power guys are hard to come by and the Sox are a team with it. For a team that misses out on a Delgado + Sexton, PK will have a lot of value. More so as Giambi's problems will boot him out of NY. Even offers for Lee could be heard, and taken up if it improves the Sox.

The key is getting a few priorities done, and then looking for the final pieces through trades, non-tenders, etc. At least one and hopefully two things are done in the next week or so

In listening to KW's take on getting someone for 2b who can hit LHP, I looked up a few names of FA's. None are breath taking. The only way this would make sense is if the Sox think Willie can hit closer to .300 than the .260 in 2004 vs RHP.

Mark Grudzielanek [will be 35]: hit poorly vs LHP in '04, .220/.281 OBP in 82 ab's; hit .360/.449/. 470 in 2003 in 100 ab's; can't play other spots besides 2B

Jose Hernandez [36]: hit .310/.383/.627 in 126 ab's vs LHP in 2004; can play all 3 IF positions; a K machine; no SH's in 2004

Desi Relaford [32]: had a poor 2004, started the season on the DL w/ a pulled hmastring, not sure about any other injuries; was a regular w/ KC but more of a UTL type; can play 3b, ss, 2b and the OF; a switch hitter; hit .300/.409/ .438 in 130 ab's vs LHP in '03 [though hit .393/.507/.518 as a RH hitter-56 ab's]; 5'9", 180 from Georgia [as is Willie and Frank]; can handle the bat and has SB speed. [was 20 out of 24 SB in '03, or '02]

Of these three, only Relaford seems to have any upside. Both Grudzelanek and Hernandez offer some veteran ability, and could give some production. Talk about looking for bargains, these guys will come cheap.