Do you hang up on telemarketers...?

Steff

Woman Gets Threatening Letter After Hanging Up On Telemarketer

El Paso Police Investigating Phone Call

UPDATED: 8:41 AM EST December 8, 2004

A Detroit-area woman received a threatening letter in the mail after hanging up on a telemarketer calling from Texas, according to Detroit TV station WDIV.

TELEMARKETER THREAT

Video: Woman Describes Telemarketing Threat

How Do You Handle Telemarketers?

Read Threatening Letter

Jill Beyer, of Waterford Township, Mich., said she received the letter about one week after she refused to donate money in a recent call from a telemarketer.

"He wanted a donation for the veterans' association, which the veterans don't get that much of that money. That's why I wouldn't donate to him," Beyer said.

Beyer (pictured, left) said the man refused to take no for an answer so she hung up the phone.

"I slammed the phone very hard," Beyer said.

The letter arrived postmarked from El Paso, Texas. The first lines read, "Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address. Many of them live in your own state and most don't give a (expletive)! " (Read Full Letter)

"It makes me nervous. Obviously he's not playing with a full deck and even my kids are nervous," Beyer said.

El Paso police are reportedly taking the threat seriously and are searching for the person who sent the letter.

When I was in HS, I had a part time job conducting phone surveys. Whenever someone was rude to us, we'd put their name back into the 'call later' list. Someone else would call them back within a few days. All we did was play dumb and say: "I'm sorry, I have no idea how you got back on the list, let me take your name off", sure enough they went right back on.

It's never wise to be rude to people who can become pests or worse yet, people who have 'access' to your food, i.e. waitstaff.

When I was in HS, I had a part time job conducting phone surveys. Whenever someone was rude to us, we'd put their name back into the 'call later' list.  Someone else would call them back within a few days. All we did was play dumb and say:  "I'm sorry, I have no idea how you got back on the list, let me take your name off", sure enough they went right back on. 

It's never wise to be rude to people who can become pests or worse yet, people who have 'access' to your food, i.e. waitstaff.

I never say anything to bad waiters/resses. I let my tip do the talking to them...

I never say anything to bad waiters/resses.  I let my tip do the talking to them...

Or at least wait until all of your food has been served. You don't want to know the stuff that happens to rude people's food. The funny part is thos people walk out of the restaurant with that 'Ha, well I guess I told them' look about them.

We let the answering machine take the telemarketers. If we are home we'll listen in case it is important, but mostly we let the machine take it and then hit the delete button.

The only time I was rude to a telemarketer was back when I was 21 and at home. My dad was seriously ill at the time and Discover kept calling for my mom and she told them she wasn't interested once and let me answer the other hundred times. Well, after 2-3 weeks straight of calls from them (after she declined their invitation and then let me say she wasn't there), I told him that she already declined and that if she wasn't taking the call for the 2-3 weeks she wasn't interested and to stop bothering us. They did.

Haven't got one in a long time, but usually I just start messing with them. If they're trying to sell me into a religion (Yes, this has happened to me), I just say "Oh, I'm not a big fan of God", and then they say ,"Oh, you mean you're not a fan of religion?" and I say, "No, I'm not a fan of God. I worship the devil. If you want, I got some pamphlets I could send you without charge"

Click.

Haven't got one in a long time, but usually I just start messing with them. If they're trying to sell me into a religion (Yes, this has happened to me), I just say "Oh, I'm not a big fan of God", and then they say ,"Oh, you mean you're not a fan of religion?" and I say, "No, I'm not a fan of God. I worship the devil. If you want, I got some pamphlets I could send you without charge"

Click.

LMAO! :lol:

I see how long I can keep them on the phone. I like talking about the weather, ask them if they are a Sox fan. My favorite were the replacement window salespeople. My neighborhood was about 15 years old so we were ripe for picking. If they wouldn't take a polite no thank you, I would start the jokes

"you guys are such a pane --- get it PAIN/Pane!!" LOL LOL

"I can see right through that offer!" LOL LOL

"The other guys offered window treatments, but I thought it was a SHADY deal!" LOL LOL

My goal was to have them hang up on me.

My grandfather once answered the door and told a magazine salesperson everyone in the house was blind. He kept looking over the guys shoulder. He also told a vacuum salesperson that carpets caused cancer and he had 6 tons of dirt shoveled into his house to cover the carpet.

BTW, call centers are a huge industry down here. Cheap, bi-lingual help has everyone from Ticketmaster to Convergys opening up huge centers in closed K-Marts and upgraded Wal*Marts.

Look for Tom Mabe in the comedy section of your local CD store. He has at least two disks where he literally waits for a telemarketer to call him just so he can mess with them and record the conversation.

I think the best one was when they called to offer payment protection on his credit card (in case he lost his job or was unable to work, etc...) he put the phone down because some christmas carollers where at the door.

The next thing you hear is a shotgun blast and a bunch of people screaming.

Then he picks the phone up and asks if the protection is good if he goes to jail for murder.

She hung up on him.

:D

BTW, my wife had been rude to a telemarketer and kept calling back and making some rude comments. After the third call I answered the phone and he quit calling back...

My grandfather once answered the door and told a magazine salesperson everyone in the house was blind. He kept looking over the guys shoulder. He also told a vacuum salesperson that carpets caused cancer and he had 6 tons of dirt shoveled into his house to cover the carpet.

That sounds similar to what I told a guy that was going door to door when I was about 14. I told him my mom only reads the Times and we weren't interested. He asked about my dad and I told the guy my dad only reads Gaelic. He was a little speechless, said thanks and left.

All I was told was to if it is Unavailable just leave it alone. Like ss2k4 said, if it is important, leave a message on the machine. Most of the time it is friends and family from Illinois so I might pick it up occasionally...

while working as a telemarketer i was glad when someone who didn't want the card would just hang up and i would usually try to put them in the list to not call back. used to get in trouble all the time from sups because of that and not rebuttling (which we were supposed to do on all but a few states) when someone said 'no.' i finally quit after continually getting in trouble for not rebuttling non-rebuttle states. the only time when i was ever rude back was when the person i was calling was rude from the get go and i normally try getting them so mad to the point they would wanna talk to my sup and i'd either tell them the sup was on break or if i was pissed at the sup i'd let them get yelled at. it was also fun when you had the few guys who would try and talk about other things like texsox says he does or when people would act all crazy on you and would usually try and go with it...