Dustin Hermanson Signed by the White Sox

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The White Sox agreed to terms Wednesday with right-handed pitcher Dustin Hermanson on a two-year, $5.5 million contract that contains a club option for 2007.

Hermanson, who became the Giants' closer in August and saved 17 games in the stretch, was not offered arbitration by San Francisco.

Under terms of the deal, Hermanson will be paid $2 million in 2005 and $3 million in 2006 with the club holding an option for 2007 at $3.5 million. There is a buyout of $500,000.

Hermanson, 31, was 6-9 with a 4.53 ERA in 47 games, including 18 starts, with San Francisco last season.

He opened the season in the starting rotation, going 4-4 with a 4.59 ERA.

He broke in the majors in 1995 with the Padres and has also pitched with the Expos, Cardinals and Red Sox.

-I guess it's a start. He's a pretty versatile pitcher. I just hope he isn't their idea of a fifth starter.

I can say one thing.  The tone is so much different here as compared to WSI in regards to this signing.  Here it seems more to favor the deal while their almost everyone is jumping off a bridge.

They're b****ing that the Sox paid Hermanson 5.5 million, while the Red Sox gave Mantei $750,000, never paying attention to the fact that Mantei wasn't interested in playing for the White Sox. :rolly

This is from Whitesox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...r_cws&fext=.jsp

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Dustin Hermanson on a two-year, $5.5 million contract that contains a club option for 2007. Under terms of the deal, Hermanson will be paid $2 million in 2005 and $3 million in 2006 with the club holding an option for 2007 at $3.5 million (with a buyout of $500,000).

Hermanson, who turns 32 on December 21, went 6-9 with a 4.53 ERA (66 ER/131.0 IP), 17 saves and 102 strikeouts in 47 games (18 starts) with San Francisco in 2004. He opened the season in the starting rotation, going 4-4 with a 4.59 ERA (53 ER/104.0 IP). Hermanson threw a no-hitter for 6.1 innings on July 23 at St. Louis and struck out a season-high 11 on July 3 vs. Oakland.

"Dustin is a pitcher who has performed well throughout his career in a variety of roles, but we envision using him in a setup role," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "With Shingo Takatsu, Damaso Marte, Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts and Jon Adkins, we feel very good about our bullpen heading into 2005."

The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder was moved to the bullpen in August, where he was 2-5 with a 4.33 ERA (13 ER/27.0 IP) and 28 strikeouts. Hermanson converted 17 of 20 save opportunities to become the first Giants pitcher since Scott Garrelts in 1986 to record 10 saves and make 10 starts in the same season. He held opponents to a .224 (22-98) average in relief, averaging 9.3 strikeouts per 9.0 IP.

Hermanson has gone 71-74 with a 4.31 ERA (584 ER/1219.0 IP) and 836 strikeouts in 294 games (180 starts) over 10 Major League seasons with San Diego (1995-96), Montreal (1997-2000), St. Louis (2001 and 2003), Boston (2002) and the Giants (2003-04).

He has won 10 or more games in a season three times, struck out 100-plus batters five times and made at least 30 starts four times. Hermanson's best season came with the Expos in 1998 when he went 14-11 with a 3.13 ERA (65 ER/187.0 IP) and a career-high 154 strikeouts in 34 games (32 starts). He was Montreal's Opening Day starter in both 1999 and 2000.

Good signing by the Sox. Had some so-so numbers as a reliever, but had some pretty solid peripherals too. He allowed fewer homers per 9 as a reliever, struck out more per 9 as a reliever, allowed fewer hits per 9, but also started to walk more hitters too.

Regardless, I like signings like this. He gives us a lot of options, whether we want him to start, set-up, or close. For $3 mill a year? I can handle that.

Now we seriously need to start looking at osuna. He only made 750,000 thousadn last year. I do not see him making that much more this year. Maybe sign him for a one year deal with an option for the second year?

I don't think Osuna is going to even be considered. IIRC, The Sox have been saying that there was 1 bullpen spot and 1 spot in the rotation open. Hermanson fills the bullpen spot, I really want Osuna too, but I don't see it happening.

You are joking right? He is one of the more solid relievers on the market and for very cheap.

No i'm not. He didn't hardly pitch with the Pads. And Sucked with the YANKS. Everytime he would come in to pitch i would bite my fingernails. NO THANKS ;)

No i'm not. He didn't hardly pitch with the Pads. And Sucked with the YANKS. Everytime he would come in to pitch i would bit my fingernails. NO THANKS  ;)

3.73 era with the yankees and a 2.46 era in minimal innings with the padres, 36.2 innings. That sucks. :headshake

This fills out the bullpen and rather nicly I might add. I believe at the end of the season he was the Giants bullpen and pitched 2-3 innings every day. Can someone please post his IP for the last two weeks of the season. The Giant pen was a disaster and he was relied on solely to bail it out.

For God's sake this is a minor pickup and people b**** and moan like we picked up Rob Beck. The guy has ability and that is wht we need in the pen. He has a quality arm.

I think this move is better than what the division favorite Tigers spent on Percival.

Also for those that like to comapre us to the cub, they were looking to bring him in.