Dustin Hermanson Signed by the White Sox

JDsDirtySox

Cross posted from BTF

I'm sure he'll get ripped by both the press and posters here, but really is this a terrible signing? Kris Benson, Paul Wilson, Jaret Wright, Troy Percival anyone?

The White Sox have to suceed with a "moneyball" philosophy. That's not to say they have to value OBP above all else, they just have to evaluate which players are most likely to provide a the best value for them, likely because other teams are undervaluing their services.

Before the signings started I thought Omar Vizquel was going to be on the the best deals on the market, he may still end up being one, but I know I never would have given him a guarenteed third year. My suspicious is that KW wouldn't either.

Before the signings started, I thought that Jaret Wright was going to be staying in ATL because of his inconsistent past. I figured he would avoid arbitration and snag a couple year deal at about $3M/per.

I think Kenny saw both of those guys being undervalued and threw some money at them trying to get them to come to the Southside, but his interest only spurred on others. For some reason if KW values a player, other GMs are very eager to outbid him.

Hermanson is much the same. He had some good peripherals from his time in the pen last season. And the Pen, specifically middle relievers with the ability to step back into the rotation, are probably being undervalued on the open market.

Hermanson, while nothing spectacular, is a solid signing. He fits the Sox plans in that he bolsters a weak bullpen, and provides a safety net for that 5th starters spot that has been a black hole for the last 2+ seasons.

KW's not setting the world on fire, but who are we kidding, the Sox play in the AL Central.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said.  I think it will let Ozzie shorten the leash if the starter is having an iffy day.  You can go Politte, Marte, Hermanson in just about any order (play the match ups)  in the 6-7-8 to get to Shingo.  Just think, veteran professional pitching all day long!

And it leaves the door open for a rookie breakout [manhands, arnie, or diaz] or Cotts and Adkins taking it up a few notches. With a vet like Hermanson able to eat innings, rookies and young guys in the 'pen can pitch until they get in trouble. That may only be 1 batter. But the vets can handle the extra work that comes with young guys pitching in the majors w/o much experience.

As long as Shingo stays a 1 inning pitcher, it's lights out.

:lolhitting

Sweet, he had a record under .500 and an era over 4.5, I guess that automatically makes him suck ass.

Lets ignore the fact that he converted 85% of this saves, and can fill just about any role needed on a pitching staff.

Top that off with the fact he isn't being paid that much compared to what is flying around this offseason.

Oh yeah, and he pitched in a pretty good hitters park.

But other than that, I agree with you.  ;)

Your forgetting something...HE IS ON THE WHITESOX NOW! :bang

Yeah the Cub fans have to be mildly discouraged because all they have really done is retain and then lose some. I know Ryan Dempster has good stuff but I don't like their bullpen at all. I think a full year of helath from a motivated Nomar will be huge for them. I think it was smarter for them to sign Nomar for one year because with him and Sosa off the books in a season, they will have some cash to spend. Anybody else think that Glendon Rusch might not be so hot this year for them?

So, from what I make of this signing and from the article naming the bullpen in '05, is that it could mean one of these things for the pitching staff:

Diaz will not be a RP in 2005 for the Sox, he will be the 5th starter in 2005.

Garland will be dealt either after the Sox sign a #3 starter, or traded in a deal for a SP because Diaz will be in the rotation.

Diaz, Adkins, or Cotts will be included in a deal for a better SP.

im really hoping adkins or cotts is dealt which would give felix diaz and or munoz honest shots at a chance in the bullpen... and of the 2 i think cotts has more upside and he also seemed to me pitched a lot more last year than adkins. I just hope if diaz has another good spring training and then does good in the minors again we do something with him.

I really like this move. I seem to recall Jason targeting DH several weeks ago, but I could be wrong. This a very solid veteran versatile pitcher. As of this moment, the bullpen is basically set and looks to be decent overall. Of course, things could change due to a trade somewhere along the line.

Little things to add on the signing from the Southtown;

"No. 1, I've been after Dustin Hermanson for three years," Williams said. "He's a guy you can look at as an emergency starter. He's well-equipped with his four pitches to be a starter. He prefers to be in the bullpen right now.

"He was our target right out of the gate. We kept our eye on him all of last year and had conversations with people about his makeup. He was our No. 1 focus for our bullpen."

"One of the offseason goals for us was to get a guy in the back end of the bullpen that can also close," Williams said. "Shingo has done the job for us, and was almost perfect. Dustin was looking for a closer's job out there, but also wants to be on a team that wants to win. He's fine with coming in here as a setup guy and knows on certain matchups he can be called on. He's more than happy with that situation."

"Very much so, and it's very concerning," he said. "Less concerning because we've got four quality guys in our starting rotation. We aren't held hostage to do something we're not comfortable with. We do have the confidence with a Jason Grilli (as a No. 5 starter behind Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras and Garland). However, if we can upgrade ... "

The Sox are rumored to be in the running for free-agent outfielder Jermaine Dye, who is coming off a 23-homer, 80-RBI season for Oakland.

is it just me or do others think that mebe as a setup man for a full season dustin hermanson can have an era in the 2's or low 3's.

I don't know about the numbers, but with the conversion of SP's to the bullpen and closers, Hermanson looks like a solid guy to put up better numbers in the pen. As he gets older, with more wear and tear on his arm, going to the pen might help lengthen his career.

With him having 4 pitches, he should be able to get some outs in relief.

im really hoping adkins or cotts is dealt which would give felix diaz and or munoz honest shots at a chance in the bullpen... and of the 2 i think cotts has more upside and he also seemed to me pitched a lot more last year than adkins.  I just hope if diaz has another good spring training and then does good in the minors again we do something with him.

I like Diaz for his control. Adkins ERA was solid. But still gave up more Hits than IP, and a ton of walks. Bullpen guys can't be giving up all those walks.

I think Adkins could be dealt. Diaz can take over for long relief, with Hermanson on board. Cotts I'd be leery about trading. He was just about the best Sox pitcher in keeping inherited runners from scoring, better than Marte.

Munoz should probably start in AAA in late setup with Bajenaru closing.

Also, where does the LHP Kevin Walker just signed as a FA fit in?

Little things to add on the signing from the Southtown;

Does Kenny Williams actually expect White Sox fans to believe that drivel?

"I've been after Dustin Hermanson for three years"

Bulls***! Two years ago he could have been picked up off the scrap heap for nothing. Don't tell me you just bought a bottle of Dom Perignon when it is clearly Korbel. Just freaking tell me it is a quality bottle of Korbel and we needed Korbel. That comment is an insult to the intelligence of Sox fans.

Also, where does the LHP Kevin Walker just signed as a FA fit in?

Walker is pretty much a depth guy who could get a look at a bullpen spot depending on his spring training performance which will be the norm for a lot of these "fringe" pitchers come 2005. Frankly, I don't see him doing anything other than replacing Kelly Wunsch down in Charlotte.

I just glad he's not on my team any more. He blew a 4 run lead with no one on base that lost us our division to the dodgers. He has below average stuff and dows not have the mind set for relief. He can spot start so the sox do have that. Oh yeah he sucked as a starter too.

From another board this guy is a Giants Fan...

ANother great signing by KW it seems.

We were saying the same kind of s*** when Foulke was traded and look what happened with that.

I wasn't...Speak for yourselve.

I didn't understand the trade at first, then I realized it..JR being JR.. Why pay a player what he worth instead trade him away for someone your fans gets excited over, then watch as that player fads into nothing while, the player you traded blossums..

Yet another great move by KW..