White Sox Sign Jermaine Dye

EvilJester99

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure could.

This Yankees-Diamondbacks-White Sox thing makes too much sense though.  White Sox have long expressed an interest in Javier Vazquez, Yankees don't want him, and Diamondbacks are afraid to take him on due to the contract clause allowing him to demand a trade after '05.

Diamondbacks need a 1B, Glaus will play 3rd.  Sox and Diamondbacks have apparantly been talking for a while now, and they know each other's personnel very well.

Would I rather have Tim Hudson than Vazquez?  Of course.  But we don't have the bullets Oakland wants.  They're supposedly not interested in either of Baltimore's two 2nd basemen, so there's little chance they'd want Willie Harris, my slight bias vs. Harris notwithstanding.  Oakland wants a top end pitching prospect, we really don't have one, except for McCarthy and I just don't see it.

The thing is, Arizona would have to get more for Randy Johnson than just Paul Konerko ultimately.  Would I do a straight swap of Konerko for Vazquez?  Yes.

I'm not anti-Konerko like my crabbylicious posting neighbor, but I do feel the White Sox can find a guy to at least platoon with Gload.

Beck, my guess is they're settled on the OF situation for 2005, except maybe for the backups.  Timo is arb. eligible and if he wants too much $$ ... they could cut him loose and bring in someone else.  But I see it as Carlos-Rowand-Dye.

I agree about the 3 way. Both the Yanks and D-backs want to get something done quickly--Ny so they can get their SP's signed, AZ before their only trade partner NY no longer wants RJ.

I still can't see Garland and PK going to AZ, unless a ton of cash is thrown the Sox way. My guess is a deal along the lines of PK [signed to an extension], and a few guys like Adkins, Munoz + Borchard from the Sox [guys who could make AZ's 2005 roster], and cash, and a SP prospect from NY like Halsey could get it done. [Az is after FA SP's as it is, so a major league SP may not be needed in the deal]

If I were the Sox I'd keep Garland and throw some bodies at AZ [like you said, they know the Sox personnel]. That way the 5th spot is taken care of.

the sox then would have Garland and Lee as possible trade bait [their two best values] to fill the leadoff spot, which should be the hardest spot to fill. I just don't see many options for leadoff in the IF. Only through a trade that could move guys around the OF.

The A's prob. still have time to weigh potential deals, moreso than NYY + AZ for RJ. Though Beane may want to work quickly before possible suitors sign other guys

Beck actually, I was thinking more along the lines that Everett, can play LEFT

I meant that Dye can replace Lee's bat in the sox lineup, Rowand would go to LF, and a CFer like Podsednik could be brought in. A healthy and in shape Everett could play LF, but the sox shouldn't count on him being much more than a DH and a sub off the bench. I think he'll be decent, but the sox should make other plans

Jim, I didn't want to quote your whole post, but talking about what could happen in the coming weeks months...

I gotta tell ya - made two more moves (and a couple of minor moves, minor league deals), one being signing a MIF, be it a platoon guy with Harris (Cairo), or a fulltime player at second or short (Polanco/Renteria), as well as trading PK (for this scenario, let's just say Konerko for Vazquez + Cash) -- I'd be real, real pleased with that as an offseason.

You'd have a lineup of, in no specific order:

C-Davis/Burke

1B-Gload

2B-Harris/Cairo, Polanco, Uribe (Depending on the scenario)

SS-Uribe, Renteria (Again, scenario dependent)

3B-Crede

RF-Dye

CF-Rowand

LF-Lee

DH-Thomas

Only problem with the lineup is it's a little righty dependent, but against righties, Harris will/should play and do well, same for Gload.

With a staff of Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez, Contreras, Garland -- it could potentially be pretty dynomite, or it could, at the worst, be just average.

Finally, a bullpen of Shingo-Marte-Politte-Hermy-Cotts-Adkins-Diaz/Baj/Munoz is tons better than going into last year, especially with Adkins and Cotts having another year under their belts.

My thoughts...

First, it appears Kenny is willing to change the dynamic of this ballclub. I appluade him for that. This team needed some wholesale changes, and that is currently happening. So far, it seems Kenny is very serious about putting a contender on the field this year. We have bolstered the pen, it seems the outfield has been taken care of for the time being, and we are left with only two holes (SP and SS).

Second, the likelyhood of Renteria seems to be fading. I hope I'm wrong on this one, but I forsee Kenny trading Paulie for the SP and signing a veteran utility guy off the scrap heap.

Third, the Dye signing is a good move. He is now a two-year stop gap until Anderson is ready to make the jump. By trading for Jurassic last year, and signing Dye this year, Kenny has answered the questions in the outfield...and that answer doesn't include Borchard...that is fantastic.

Fourth, Vazquez scares me to death. He has a nasty contract and I have a feeling he won't be had for anything short of Paulie and some prospects (Anderson perhaps?). Yes, our rotation will be complete, but he is yet another question mark in an already suspect rotation.

OOOOOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEE-OOOOOOOOOO-JERRRRRRRRRRRRR-MAINNNNNNE

Just not the same. :lol:

I agree about the 3 way. Both the Yanks and D-backs want to get something done quickly--Ny so they can get their SP's signed, AZ before their only trade partner NY no longer wants RJ.

I still can't see Garland and PK going to AZ, unless a ton of cash is thrown the Sox way. My guess is a deal along the lines of PK [signed to an extension], and a few guys like Adkins, Munoz + Borchard from the Sox [guys who could make AZ's 2005 roster], and cash, and a SP prospect from NY like Halsey could get it done. [Az is after FA SP's as it is, so a major league SP may not be needed in the deal]

If I were the Sox I'd keep Garland and throw some bodies at AZ [like you said, they know the Sox personnel]. That way the 5th spot is taken care of.

the sox then would have Garland and Lee as possible trade bait [their two best values] to fill the leadoff spot, which should be the hardest spot to fill. I just don't see many options for leadoff in the IF. Only through a trade that could move guys around the OF.

The A's prob. still have time to weigh potential deals, moreso than NYY + AZ for RJ. Though Beane may want to work quickly before possible suitors sign other guys

no way we send both PK and garland. its gonna be one, more likely PK. how bout PK+ borchard + diaz + couple yanks prospects for johnson, and vazquez for us. that would probably work

ESPN radio 1000 just reported the Sox signed him 2 yrs 9 mill.

Good Deal rather Cheap and Dye is still young and has something to prove i think his numbers at the cell will be good plus he is a good defensive OF. I tip my cap to Kenny on this one. :headbang

no way we send both PK and garland. its gonna be one, more likely PK. how bout PK+ borchard + diaz + couple yanks prospects for johnson, and vazquez for us. that would probably work

That's what I was saying--PK and some live bodies that were question marks to make the 2005 roster, with the yanks cash, and prospects.

Teams will be scared of Vazquez, with his big contract and very poor 2nd half of 2004

Just got home. Man am I excited to see we signed Dye. This is a very good move by KW, IMO. If he can stay 100% healthy through out next season than I don’t have to worry about seeing either Borchard or Everett in RF. To KW... :cheers

I still don't think PK to the Dbacks make sense. Don't be so sure that the Yanks don't just keep Konerko. I know that hasn't been rumored, but why oh why would the Dbacks want to spend that much money at 1st and 3rd base.

I wouldn't mind it to be true though cause I think Vazquez with the right amount of cash coming the Sox way could be a good deal. Especially if the Sox somehow keep a hold of Garland.

I too just got home...lol...I feel this is a very good signing. For $4 mill, we get one of the better second tier OFers on the market...he will be a good #5 hitter for us.

Secondly...on this Sox-DBacks-Yanks talk...If Zona truly is looking for a 1Bman(with it being Konerko), and with them apparently either being very close to or having signed Glaus already(am not sure if it has happened, as I haven't checked yet), doesn't that make Shea Hillenbrand available?

I know many here feel Vazquez would stink in USCF due to his GB-FB ratio, among other things...I too feel the same sentiments. However, if we could get Hillenbrand along with Vazquez while getting cash from New York to take on a considerable portion of Javy's remaining salary(I would say anywhere from 35-50% of it), that would save us approximately $4-5 mill this year, wouldn't it? IIRC, Vazquez is making around $10 mill this year, and Hillenbrand will make probably around $2-3 mill...that's $13 mill, and with New York hypothetically taking on $4 mill off Javy's contract for this year, that puts it at a combined total of $9 mill. As of right now, the Sox have approximately $6 mill to spend to reach that $75 mill I believe DBAH0 figured...take Konerko($8.5) and Garland($3.5), off, and then add in the $9 mill we get in Vazquez and Hillenbrand, and that leaves us with rougly $9 mill to spend.

Doesn't Renteria figure to make between $7-8 mill a year?

Not even saying that's what the Sox might be thinking...I'm just saying.

I too just got home...lol...I feel this is a very good signing.  For $4 mill, we get one of the better second tier OFers on the market...he will be a good #5 hitter for us.

Secondly...on this Sox-DBacks-Yanks talk...If Zona truly is looking for a 1Bman(with it being Konerko), and with them apparently either being very close to or having signed Glaus already(am not sure if it has happened, as I haven't checked yet), doesn't that make Shea Hillenbrand available?

I know many here feel Vazquez would stink in USCF due to his GB-FB ratio, among other things...I too feel the same sentiments.  However, if we could get Hillenbrand along with Vazquez while getting cash from New York to take on a considerable portion of Javy's remaining salary(I would say anywhere from 35-50% of it), that would save us approximately $4-5 mill this year, wouldn't it?  IIRC, Vazquez is making around $10 mill this year, and Hillenbrand will make probably around $2-3 mill...that's $13 mill, and with New York hypothetically taking on $4 mill off Javy's contract for this year, that puts it at a combined total of $9 mill.  As of right now, the Sox have approximately $6 mill to spend to reach that $75 mill I believe DBAH0 figured...take Konerko($8.5) and Garland($3.5), off, and then add in the $9 mill we get in Vazquez and Hillenbrand, and that leaves us with rougly $9 mill to spend.

Doesn't Renteria figure to make between $7-8 mill a year?

Not even saying that's what the Sox might be thinking...I'm just saying.

Shea Hillenbrand will not be tendered a contract by Arizona according to numerous reports and rumors throughout the online world.

Solid pick-up? sure why not, but for half the price i'd rather just start Gload.

Someone very well could have posted this portion from the Merkin article on mlb.com but I thought it was newsworthy

"Once Dye made the verbal commitment to the White Sox on Wednesday, though, he would not change his mind. After the deal was finalized, Williams found out that one of the other interested teams started calling Dye while he was taking his physical and worked on him well into Wednesday night with offers of sweeter compensation.

"There were significantly more dollars out there over the next few years," said Williams of Dye's decision. "But he told the other clubs, 'I gave my word to Kenny Williams, and I'm going to honor it.'

"It's a breath of fresh air. I sat down with my own son and had the chance to expand on things such as virtue and a man's character, instead of just turning toward money."

Shea Hillenbrand will not be tendered a contract by Arizona according to numerous reports and rumors throughout the online world.

Solid pick-up? sure why not, but for half the price i'd rather just start Gload.

Gload would start.

Hillenbrand would just come off the bench and play 1B-3B.

Someone very well could have posted this portion from the Merkin article on mlb.com but I thought it was newsworthy

"Once Dye made the verbal commitment to the White Sox on Wednesday, though, he would not change his mind. After the deal was finalized, Williams found out that one of the other interested teams started calling Dye while he was taking his physical and worked on him well into Wednesday night with offers of sweeter compensation.

"There were significantly more dollars out there over the next few years," said Williams of Dye's decision. "But he told the other clubs, 'I gave my word to Kenny Williams, and I'm going to honor it.'

"It's a breath of fresh air. I sat down with my own son and had the chance to expand on things such as virtue and a man's character, instead of just turning toward money."

Wow...I like that a lot.

Sounds kind of like a guy who wants to bust ass and help the team win.

:headbang Wow, that is awesome :o

Wow thats classy...