White Sox Sign Jermaine Dye

EvilJester99

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone very well could have posted this portion from the Merkin article on mlb.com but I thought it was newsworthy

"Once Dye made the verbal commitment to the White Sox on Wednesday, though, he would not change his mind. After the deal was finalized, Williams found out that one of the other interested teams started calling Dye while he was taking his physical and worked on him well into Wednesday night with offers of sweeter compensation.

"There were significantly more dollars out there over the next few years," said Williams of Dye's decision. "But he told the other clubs, 'I gave my word to Kenny Williams, and I'm going to honor it.'

"It's a breath of fresh air. I sat down with my own son and had the chance to expand on things such as virtue and a man's character, instead of just turning toward money."

I liked the guy before this deal, liked him more for signing, like him even more for saying that! :headbang

Someone very well could have posted this portion from the Merkin article on mlb.com but I thought it was newsworthy

"Once Dye made the verbal commitment to the White Sox on Wednesday, though, he would not change his mind. After the deal was finalized, Williams found out that one of the other interested teams started calling Dye while he was taking his physical and worked on him well into Wednesday night with offers of sweeter compensation.

"There were significantly more dollars out there over the next few years," said Williams of Dye's decision. "But he told the other clubs, 'I gave my word to Kenny Williams, and I'm going to honor it.'

"It's a breath of fresh air. I sat down with my own son and had the chance to expand on things such as virtue and a man's character, instead of just turning toward money."

Always the cynic,

1st of all, it sounds like BS from Kenny to make it seem like Dye wanted to play here soooooooo badly, that he turned down more cash.

2nd of all, if it's true, then basically Kenny got lucky.

Always the cynic,

1st of all, it sounds like BS from Kenny to make it seem like Dye wanted to play here soooooooo badly, that he turned down more cash.

2nd of all, if it's true, then basically Kenny got lucky.

I think it makes JD a class act in not going back on his word. Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way ...

In the conference call announcing the deal, KW was asked if he was done making acquisitions. Almost before the question got out, he said "No, we're not done".

So that's good news.

They also asked him about money/budget, etc. The gist of his response was he has enough to add a veteran middle infield utility-type guy. If he wants to make some sort of "impact" acquisition though, he said it's likely he'd have to move some salary.

So ... that says to me any pitching acquisition is likely to come via trade.

I was listening to ESPN 1000 and they had an audio clip of Dye saying this. That absolutely f***ing awesome. Cheers to you Jermaine, may you do well in a Sox uniform. :headbang :cheers

Also had an audio clip of him saying even though he was offered more money, that he lliked what was going on here rather than the other places, and mentioned helping this team get to the playoffs. Once again, cheers! :cheers :cheers

I was listening to ESPN 1000 and they had an audio clip of Dye saying this. That absolutely f***ing awesome. Cheers to you Jermaine, may you do well in a Sox uniform.  :headbang  :cheers

Also had an audio clip of him saying even though he was offered more money, that he lliked what was going on here rather than the other places, and mentioned helping this team get to the playoffs. Once again, cheers!  :cheers  :cheers

Absolutely awesome, makes me like the guy even more. Tony, I agree with what you said if the sox could land vaz and then polanco or cairo I'd be thrilled with this offseason.

Wow ,that makes me like Dye even more. Class act :headbang :headbang :headbang

By the way ...

In the conference call announcing the deal, KW was asked if he was done making acquisitions.  Almost before the question got out, he said "No, we're not done".

So that's good news.

They also asked him about money/budget, etc.  The gist of his response was he has enough to add a veteran middle infield utility-type guy.  If he wants to make some sort of "impact" acquisition though, he said it's likely he'd have to move some salary.

So ... that says to me any pitching acquisition is likely to come via trade.

Its no secret in my mind that the Sox are going to make a deal during the winter meetings or at the very least get the groundwork laid for a deal.

Konerko has to be the guy going and I think in the end the Sox are stubborn in regards to giving up Garland, unless of course they have pencilled a darkhorse 5th starter candidate to replace Garland.

Cause Grilli will not be the 5th starter.

I really haven't said anything about this deal yet. I like it actually. Dye brings to the table all the Sox have needed, he can easily hit .280 and hit 30 HR and drive in 80 when he is healthy. His speed has caught up on him the past few years and won't see many SB's out of him.

*If you read my first post, it was suppose to be in green in the first place*

All along I was hoping we would land Dye. This is a great move for us. I'm definitely very pleased. I'm beginning to have more hope on this team going into 2005. We are still 2 pieces short. The fact of the matter was that the Sox were 4 pieces short going into the offseason, and 2 of those look to be filled with lots of offseason to go. :D

Gload would start.

Hillenbrand would just come off the bench and play 1B-3B.

So why on earth would you pay a guy who doesn't walk and strikes out at will 2-3 million dollars to sit on the bench?

Why not go out and grab a guy like Travis Lee, Greg Colbrunn, John Olerud, Tino Martinez, Eric Karros or something of that sort.