White Sox Sign Jermaine Dye

EvilJester99

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So why on earth would you pay a guy who doesn't walk and strikes out at will 2-3 million dollars to sit on the bench?

Why not go out and grab a guy like Travis Lee, Greg Colbrunn, John Olerud, Tino Martinez, Eric Karros or something of that sort.

Because the only guy on that list that has ever played any 3B(that I can recall) is Colbrunn, and I do not believe he can play 3B anymore either with any effectiveness due to his range disappearing as he gets older.

And I do not see why you are trying to make Hillenbrand out to be a bad player. He has hit atleast .280 15 80 .782 every year over the last 3...not good, but not as bad as you are trying to make him sound. If we can have that on our bench as insurance in case Gload or Crede cannot cut it this year, or if one of them has to be a part of a trade for it to get through(in that scenario I would imagine it would be Crede that would have to be traded over Gload), or just as a guy who can come off the bench and play very well for us over the course of the season, I would be very happy. That helps give the Sox as much depth, if not more depth, then any team in the AL.

If the Sox give up Konerko and Garland get Tracy and Vazquez fine by me. Obviously if Konerko is headed the Dbacks way then it would mean Tracey is available.

Still, I just don't see that type of deal happening, although I'd be pleased if the Sox could get Vazquez while hanging onto Garland. I'm still hoping somehow they pull Hudson, but I just don't know if they could work out a 3 way with the Braves and A's.

I think Garland is better then Suppan but I don't know how many others do. And then give up Anderson and its a similar package to what the Cards are giving up, imo with the Braves getting some of them and A's getting Giles and something.

Then again you could also center the package around Konerko cause the Braves could drastically use a bat to replace JD Drew, but I don't know if they'd want that bat at first.

the Braves could drastically use a bat to replace JD Drew, but I don't know if they'd want that bat at first.

Atlanta just re-signed Julio Franco today, he'll platoon with Adam Laroche, so they've got no need for Konerko.

Because the only guy on that list that has ever played any 3B(that I can recall) is Colbrunn, and I do not believe he can play 3B anymore either with any effectiveness due to his range disappearing as he gets older.

And I do not see why you are trying to make Hillenbrand out to be a bad player.  He has hit atleast .280 15 80 .782 every year over the last 3...not good, but not as bad as you are trying to make him sound.  If we can have that on our bench as insurance in case Gload or Crede cannot cut it this year, or if one of them has to be a part of a trade for it to get through(in that scenario I would imagine it would be Crede that would have to be traded over Gload), or just as a guy who can come off the bench and play very well for us over the course of the season, I would be very happy.  That helps give the Sox as much depth, if not more depth, then any team in the AL.

I liked what he brought to the table in Boston, but after the comments he made I lost interest in the guy.

The fact of the matter is this, you don't spend 2-3 million dollars on a bench player in my opinion especially when you already have Carl Everett making four million next season and on the bench.

A ten million dollar bench is not in the best interest of the team.

Dye is Paul Konerko for the outfield..

He's not going to put up a gaudy average, but he's going to benefit greatly from the short porches, and should easily be penciled in for 30 HR's. I would not be surprised by 35.

He plays good defense in RF, equal to, if not better than, Maggs. He'll ground into his fair share of DP's, and fits right along side the sox other 100K right handed sluggers.

I think he'll put up right around career average numbers, plus some USCF inflation...

.270+/.340/.490 -- 30 HR's 90+ RBI's 120K's