wishfull thinking

toasty

i know it will not happen, but has anyone noticed the somewhat shrinking market for beltran? boras's contract demands are not gonna get it done (10 yr 200 mil) ... anaheim signs finley, not wanting to be left out in the cold come january, even Yankees seem to be balking a bit at that contract price... I am sure it would come down, but boy i wish i knew if JR had some special 'albert belle' money !

if sox could make a competitive offer, he may lean this way... no more jeff kent, probably no more rocket, i dont see houston gettting stronger just yet

No more Rocket, No more Kent, means Houston has the funds for Beltran... And Boras clients go to where the money is, not where they have the best chance to win. That's why they signed with him. He can get them the most money.

ANAHEIM -- The Yankees say they're not going to approach the Diamondbacks with any more offers for Randy Johnson, while Arizona says it's leaving it up to the Yankees to open up discussions.

Listening to both sides, it certainly doesn't sound like the Big Unit will land in the Bronx any time soon.

"I'm here with zero hot on the trade front right now," said Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. "They're free to call me if they want to engage me on any ideas, but they're not on my agenda at all."

"We had discussions with the Yankees, but as you know, they didn't lead to anything at this point," said Arizona CEO-elect Jeff Moorad. "Whether they will or not, that depends on whether they choose to re-engage."

Johnson continues to be a hot topic at the Winter Meetings at the Anaheim Marriott, but with the Diamondbacks' signings of Troy Glaus and Russ Ortiz, the speculation continues that Johnson may decide to rescind his trade demand, as Arizona may be able to compete for the National League West title.

"We'd like nothing better than for Randy Johnson to take the hill for us on Opening Day next season," said Moorad. "That said, Randy, through his representatives, has requested a trade. While we won't just jump at that request, we'll certainly listen to interested teams as we have been. There's nothing imminent, and there may come a time when Randy and we decide that it's best to put those ideas behind us and move forward to 2005."

One baseball official said that Johnson is unlikely to waive his no-trade clause for any team other than New York, which may force the five-time Cy Young winner into completing the final year of his deal in the desert.

Johnson has expressed his desire to play for a contender in the final years of his career, and coming off of a 111-loss season, the D-Backs didn't appear to fit the bill. But with the addition of Glaus and Ortiz, Arizona feels that it can compete in the division, though Alan Nero, who represents Johnson, wasn't sure that the signings would change Johnson's mind.

"My opinion is that it doesn't change it, but I haven't talked to Randy," Nero said. "Randy has a very positive outlook, he just feels determined that he needs to be elsewhere."

Ken Kendrick, Arizona's lead investor, said that the team has not approached Johnson about a contract extension, but he indicated that the Diamondbacks would like to see the Big Unit finish his career in Phoenix.

"We'd be thrilled if he were our starting pitcher at the beginning of next season," Kendrick said during the press conference to introduce Ortiz. "This isn't the place for us to get into a contract discussion with Randy, but we'd love to have Randy be with us and finish his career with us. I think he knows that."

That would leave the Yankees to scan the free-agent market for starting pitchers, something to which Cashman seems to have resigned himself.

"I'm not closed out to any club, but in that particular case, I don't anticipate anything happening," Cashman said of Arizona. "I'll talk to everybody, but at this stage, I don't see any trade happening. I see our stuff coming from the free agent market."

"There really isn't a specific plan in place," said Moorad of a potential Johnson trade. "We've said we'll listen. We're open to hearing new ideas if any team has them, but at this point, our intent can't be anything other than to send Randy out to the mound for Opening Day."

No more Rocket, No more Kent, means Houston has the funds for Beltran... And Boras clients go to where the money is, not where they have the best chance to win.  That's why they signed with him.  He can get them the most money.

you cant tell me that by chance if beltran wants to play at x place, for a bit less money than at xx place where he doesnt want to play, boras could make him sign where he didnt want to?

you cant tell me that by chance if beltran wants to play at x place, for a bit less money than at xx place where he doesnt want to play, boras could make him sign where he didnt want to?

He's a Boras client. End of story. If he wasn't in it for the money he would have different representation. He will delude himself into think that a team will turn itself around simply by his presense there...

ARod to Texas ring a bell.

what, then, do you make of the reports that beltran is not keen on playing in new york? is he going to be held at gunpoint by boras because they might offer the most money?

He may not be "keen" on NY, but if that's the team that comes in with the best offer. That's where he'll end up... It's a simple proposition. If he was interesting in just being paid well he would have some other representative.

Who was the last Boras client who didn't go to the highest bidder?