Why not Larkin?

GoArow33

Wouldn't this be a nice cheap pickup for a year. Larkin could play SS and Uribe could bump Willie from 2B. I doubt Larkin will get more than 3 M for 1 year.

Nationals GM Jim Bowden will meet with free agent Barry Larkin today.

Bowden would like to have Larkin as a utilityman, but the feeling is that the former Red will wait to see if any team eventually wants him as a regular.

No way is Barry Larkin going to get $3 million for 1 season (unless Jim Bowden is still rubber stamping deals). He's still holding out hope for a starting spot somewhere but that's not going to evantuate. He'll take a reserve postition somewhere, and sign a deal a bit less than what Eric Young got ($850,000). His bat is still good enough to hit around .260 - .270 possibly, but his fielding and arm isn't going to have teams knocking down his doorstep to sign him. :o

No way is Barry Larkin going to get $3 million for 1 season (unless Jim Bowden is still rubber stamping deals). He's still holding out hope for a starting spot somewhere but that's not going to evantuate. He'll take a reserve postition somewhere, and sign a deal a bit less than what Eric Young got ($850,000). His bat is still good enough to hit around .260 - .270 possibly, but his fielding and arm isn't going to have teams knocking down his doorstep to sign him.  :o

I'd rather have Larkin in the lineup than Harris.

If you were certain that Larkin would be happy to play about 100-110 games without grousing, I'd be for this.

He's got leadership skills and could help Uribe, Crede and Willie if they were willing to listen.

still got a little pop.

He's just old and his body seems to break down every year.

But worth considering as a utility/part-time starter, the way we used to use Graff.

I don't think and I also hope the Sox have no interest in Larkin. If Vizquel was a key to their offseason retooling, and they refused (I agree with the decision, although I liked the thought of Vizquel at ss) to go an extra year at about $2 million more total than they offered for him because of age concern, then it would make no sense to give a guy who is older than Vizquel would be at the end of the 3 year contract they didn't want to hand out, anything more than minimum to play this year. As dissapointed as I am with Willie Harris, I still think at this stage he is better than Larkin, and he is the guy Larkin would be taking playing time away from. The Sox can do better, and not spend a lot of money.

If he did it had to be one of those, every player gets a pick type selections that get guys like Mike Williams on the AS team.

Maybe so, but if he is willing to be a backup/platoon, I'll take him.

Even at his age, he is a better player than Valdez or Harris.

He's a borderline HOF player, he was the best player on a World Series Championship team and has been an all-star for a large poriton of his career.

And the guy obviously has enough left where it still wants to give it a go for another year.

Gotta admire that.

Also from what I know of him, he is a good guy to have in the clubhouse, something Robbie Alomar is not.

Ok lets figure this out people:

He's not going to outhit Willie Harris.

He'll have a much lower OBP then Harris.

He's not going to be anywhere near as fast as Harris.

...and hasn't had the range Willie has now for quite a few years now.

So how exactly is he an upgrade over Harris? :bang

Willie Harris flat out sucks.

I cannot understand anyone's fascination with him.

The guy is NOT an everyday major league player.

If we go into this season again with him as our everyday 2B, we will not be a contender.

He may be a nice guy, good with the ladies or a fan favorite (or whatever reason he is liked for)...But he should not be a starter on any GOOD team.

The guy has been given a shot, quit making excuses for him and realize he is not worth a s***.

Please explain to me what he has done thus far in his career that has earned him the right to be an everyday player....I can't think of a damn thing.

I am eagerly anticipating Soxfest, where I can ask KW why we are bringing this embarassment of a player back for another season on the Southside....And yes, I will ask (word for word), When are we going to get a real second baseman?

(End of rant).

Maybe so, but if he is willing to be a backup/platoon, I'll take him.

Even at his age, he is a better player than Valdez or Harris.

He's a borderline HOF player, he was the best player on a World Series Championship team and has been an all-star for a large poriton of his career.

And the guy obviously has enough left where it still wants to give it a go for another year.

Gotta admire that.

Also from what I know of him, he is a good guy to have in the clubhouse, something Robbie Alomar is not.

Usually, you're pretty well on the ball with player evaluations. But Larkin was over the hill 3 years ago. He still wants to give it a go for another year and you gotta admire him for that? Robbie wants to give it go for another year. So does Sandy Alomar. Admire them, ok. Acquire them? No thanks. Same with Larkin.