Toronto is looking at lee and konerko

chisox2334

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hinske is an absolute butcher at 3rd while Crede still has the potential to be a GGer. If their O stats are close to the same then there's no comparison.

I believe Hinski would play first. I think the Jays were looking to do that this coming season.

No doubt about it too, plus Hinske is a defensive liability at the hot corner.

Jason, he had a huge improvement defensively in 2004, cut his errors drastically.

As for Toronto pitchers, the guy I'd want is Dave Bush, the righthander. He'd be a very good fit in Chicago.

Guys take a look at HInske's contract. I'd puke if they picked him up. He's gonna get like 5 million plus in in 2006 and 2007.

I was over reading on a Blue Jays board and most of them are puzzled at why the Sox would do this. So I'm thinking this is the Jays spin right now. However whoever the radio guy was said he was fairly confident some type of deal would work out. Said both GM's have been talking quite a bit with each other.

Still, I'd look for Batista, Rios, and another prospect, imo.

Guys take a look at HInske's contract.  I'd puke if they picked him up.  He's gonna get like 5 million plus in in 2006 and 2007. 

I was over reading on a Blue Jays board and most of them are puzzled at why the Sox would do this.  So I'm thinking this is the Jays spin right now.  However whoever the radio guy was said he was fairly confident some type of deal would work out.  Said both GM's have been talking quite a bit with each other.

Still, I'd look for Batista, Rios, and another prospect, imo.

They may do something, but not what's being reported.

Remember, Rippaldi wasn't the GM who made the Siro/Wells deal and that deal blew up for both teams.

I still say, find me a way to get Vernon Wells and I'll be a happy camper. Or a ton of prospects and flexibility. The only thing I can think of is this is a move set to either follow another move or precede another move.

And I fully agree that its nonsense that Hinske and Batista will be coming here for Konerko straight up. That would be garbage.

Remember, Rippaldi wasn't the GM who made the Siro/Wells deal and that deal blew up for both teams. 

I still say, find me a way to get Vernon Wells and I'll be a happy camper.  Or a ton of prospects and flexibility.  The only thing I can think of is this is a move set to either follow another move or precede another move.

And I fully agree that its nonsense that Hinske and Batista will be coming here for Konerko straight up.  That would be garbage.

Yeah it was Gord "dumb" Ash who made the Wells trade.

Alright, would the Jays do a Lee and something for Halladay swap? 

The way I see it Halladay is one of the best pitchers in baseball and is supposed to be 100%. Obviously he's been overworked some by the Jays and if I recall he signed a 4yr 42 million extension sometime last year I think. 

He has three years left on the extension.  10.5 this season and then two years at 12.75.  I got a sneaking suspicion the Jays would consider doing this deal.

I seem to remember a report that Halladay announced his retirement after being hurt last year (done for the season?). It sticks out because it was so surprisng. Does anyone else recall this?

It was interesting to read through this thread, and watch the progression go from..

yeah, let's get Halladay, to

Hinske + Batista is alright, to

Hinkse and Batista = :puke ---

For the record, We should not even be talking to toronto.. Gord Ash is no longer there and they have a real GM now. Plus, they don't have anything we could really use, that they would be willing to give up anyway.

I still say, find me a way to get Vernon Wells and I'll be a happy camper.  Or a ton of prospects and flexibility.  The only thing I can think of is this is a move set to either follow another move or precede another move.

And I fully agree that its nonsense that Hinske and Batista will be coming here for Konerko straight up.  That would be garbage.

Rippaldi? :lolhitting

You mean Riccardi right?

I seem to remember a report that Halladay announced his retirement after being hurt last year (done for the season?). It sticks out because it was so surprisng. Does anyone else recall this?

He just said he was gonna rest and take the rest of the season off because h was over worked.

ANAHEIM -- John Gibbons knows he has a difficult challenge ahead, but he can't wait to get to it.

"I'm really looking forward to going into Spring Training and shaping things the way I want," Gibbons said at his media session at the Winter Meetings on Saturday. "There's only one way I know how to do things. That's my style and I'm going to have to live with it.

"I can't put pressure on myself and say, 'If things don't go well, I'm gone.' I can't worry about that."

Like Jays fans, Gibbons is anxiously awaiting word on how the team is going to replace the offense provided by Carlos Delgado.

"We've got a big hole to fill, we need a couple of bats," Gibbons said. "But J.P. [Ricciardi] is working on that. You are not going to make up for Delgado with one guy. There's not a more dangerous hitter in baseball. It's a big hole to fill and there will be pressure on the guys who replace him."

One of the possibilities is free agent third baseman Corey Koskie.

"That would be nice, I know J.P. is working on that," Gibbons said. "He's a good productive player. He's also a leader type. He's also a Canadian kid, so that would be good for PR. But he's a winner."

Gibbons said he realizes that the Jays may have to manufacture more runs than they have in the past, as opposed to waiting for home runs.

"We'll have to wait until we see how things shape up," Gibbons said. "But if we need to put guys in motion more, we will. I've always been an aggressive guy. I like to make things happen."

Making more use of team speed is natural, Gibbons said.

"I think we need to take advantage of what we have," Gibbons said. "Orlando Hudson has good speed, so do Reed [Johnson], Vernon [Wells] and [Russ] Adams. We have to put pressure on other teams."

Gibbons said he already has toyed with the tops of several different lineups.

"Against right-handers, we can go with Adams first, then Hudson, maybe [Frank Catalanotto] or Vernon, depending on what else we do," Gibbons said. "Against lefties, we could go with Reed at the top unless Adams proves he can hit lefties consistently. It just depends on the matchups."

Any way he looks at it, though, Gibbons likes the idea of Hudson batting second.

"He's a confidence guy," Gibbons said. "When you show confidence in him, he does much better. He did that the last few months of last season. I think he's going to show more power and become an All-Star-type player."

Gibbons also is looking forward to an improved starting rotation. And he thinks a new surface at SkyDome would be a big help.

"Roy Halladay is ready to go, he's back to his normal routine," Gibbons said. "He's a guy you have to count on for 15 wins. We expect [Ted] Lilly to get better and [Dave] Bush to get better. Josh Towers might be in the mix. And [free agent] Matt Clement would be a big addition, no question."

If Clement is added, that would mean Miguel Batista could stay in the bullpen.

"[batista] could be a closer or he could go back to the rotation," Gibbons said. "Right now, you have to look at him as a closer."

Gibbons is hoping that more players competing up to their ability will mean the Jays can be more competitive in the very difficult American League East.

"It's a real tough division," Gibbons said. "But there's nothing you can do about it. There is no use complaining. The only thing you can do is make yourself look better and get everybody to produce."

Now that he has a say, Gibbons is already making plans for Spring Training.

"It should be good," Gibbons said. "You've got to stick to basics and make sure guys are ready to go. All the players need their regular at-bats and you have to get your regular lineup going the last 10 days or two weeks."

But spring is several months away. There are still moves to be made.

"Until things are in place, you can't really know how to proceed," Gibbons said. "But I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, we'll know a lot more by the end of this week."