Leadoff, Shortstop

AddisonStSox

Now with the signing of Hermanson and Dye, it seems Kenny is done in the free agent market. In fact, I think that was even said publicly. All signs point towards one more move, a starting pitcher via trade. There has been a lot of talk about guys like Vazquez and Hudson, but none about a starting shortstop or a lead off hitter.

Which begs the question...

Are the Sox going to have to find players already in their organization to satisfy these needs?

Assuming Paulie or Lee is traded, we would have two/three holes in the club: an outfield spot, a leadoff hitter, and a starting shortstop.

Who will the Sox plug in to fill these holes? Lets try to get fancy with this one...

Leadoff: Gload, Burke, and Willie Harris

Outfield: Jurassic, Escobar, Perez and Borchard

Starting shortstop: Uribe, Valdez, Big Kelly Dransfelt (this would mean Willie Harris is starting at 2B)

Uh-oh.

No, No, vs. RHP

Only if Caballo is traded, Only in Charlotte, Only in case of nuclear winter, Only in Charlotte

Starting shortstop: Uribe, Valdez, Big Kelly Dransfelt (this would mean Willie Harris is starting at 2B)

Yes, Backup (platoon w/ Willie), Dransfeldt is a FA.

No, No, vs. RHP

Only if Caballo is traded, Only in Charlotte, Only in case of nuclear winter, Only in Charlotte

Yes, Backup (platoon w/ Willie), Dransfeldt is a FA.

Ok...

Who leads off then? Are you trying to tell me that we are going to aquire a lead off hitter...cause I don't see it happening; nor have there been any signs to say otherwise.

Now with the signing of Hermanson and Dye, it seems Kenny is done in the free agent market.  In fact, I think that was even said publicly.  All signs point towards one more move, a starting pitcher via trade.  There has been a lot of talk about guys like Vazquez and Hudson, but none about a starting shortstop or a lead off hitter. 

Which begs the question...

Are the Sox going to have to find players already in their organization to satisfy these needs?

Assuming Paulie or Lee is traded, we would have two/three holes in the club: an outfield spot, a leadoff hitter, and a starting shortstop.

Who will the Sox plug in to fill these holes?  Lets try to get fancy with this one...

Uh-oh.

Who will the Sox plug in to fill these holes? Lets try to get fancy with this one...

ross gload, a lead-off hitter? i don't think so. even if he were that type o player, he hits better in clutch, or at least last year he did. and not too many catchers hit leadoff nowadays, they tend not to have speed.

i'm out

We just need a backup infielder.

It's just a shame Ozzie has the best defensive infield in the American league and he's going to piss that away because he doesn't like Willie's attitude.

Would you guys rather he went around saying, I suck, i'll never do anything, I'm the worst player ever.

What pisses me off is he is an IDEAL #9 hitter. For god sakes let Rowand lead off.

I know why Ozzie really hates Willie. It's because he is the exact same player he was without the rookie of the year award. Great defensively, nothing special on offense, no real power to speak of, #9 hitter his entire career. It was good enough for Ozzie as a player but we can't have a #9 hitter who bats .260+ and has a .340+ OBP. Please... Plus him and Uribe Combined make about 1 Mil. Why the hell waste him on the bench?

*Rant Over*

Jeckle - who starts at 2B against lefties?

Because, you know Harris can't start against lefties. It'd be almost better to put the pitcher out there, he's that bad...

Gosh, can't Kenny be given a couple million more to sign Miguel Cairo? Would it even take a couple million more? What'd he make last season?

Jeckle - who starts at 2B against lefties?

Because, you know Harris can't start against lefties.  It'd be almost better to put the pitcher out there, he's that bad... 

Gosh, can't Kenny be given a couple million more to sign Miguel Cairo?  Would it even take a couple million more?  What'd he make last season?

I don't know. I just think we need Willie's defense alot more then we need some guys bat.

If it was a guy like Cairo who would be a part time starter that would be fine but I can't stand the thought of a great defense 2B sitting on the bench for some butcher with the glove just because his BA is 10 points higher.

Besides the more at bats he sees from the left he has he can only get better.

Also I do think he's an ideal #9 hitter because he has speed and can score from 1st on a long basehit or double.

Right now?  Valdez. -- or Uribe I guess, with Valdez as short, to keep our infield as solid defensively as possible.

I honestly don't see them adding even Cario, who'll ask for a starting job, without making a move to free up payroll.

I wonder if thats what the Sox are thinking. Use Uribe at SS and Willie at 2b against the righties and then use Valdez at SS and Uribe at 2b against lefties. So Valdez will basically be the utility infielder...

Right now?  Valdez. -- or Uribe I guess, with Valdez as short, to keep our infield as solid defensively as possible.

I honestly don't see them adding even Cario, who'll ask for a starting job, without making a move to free up payroll.

Can Valdez play second? Or, did he play second in the minors?

Trade Lee and Diaz to

Milwaukee for

Doug Davis and SPod

Fixes our holes, gives Milwaukee a good start to the future, and a legit run producer.

Might have to throw in another prospect.

That trade is too good to be true. Definitely would cost us another prospect.

Trade Lee and Diaz to

Milwaukee for

Doug Davis and SPod

Fixes our holes, gives Milwaukee a good start to the future, and a legit run producer.

Might have to throw in another prospect.

Podsednik (sp?) I wouldn't mind, but Doug Davis? is the sub 500 for his career Doug Davis? Don't be fooled by that ERA he posted last year - A Fluke.

Stay away from him. YUK :puke

Why address that 3 yr gaping hole when he hasn't addressed the 5th starter gaping hole for just as long....

We definitely cannot go into next year with both holes, that's for sure. Most likely, one of them will still be there.

It's really a must that we can get some nice value for Konerko.

Is trading Konerko to Florida even an option?

Can Valdez play second?  Or, did he play second in the minors?

He didn't play at second at all in the minors last season, but when he was brought up he was clearly getting a look from Ozzie/KW at 2B. He played there more than SS.

Also -- Jeckle, we know you like WH, but calling him the "ideal #9 hitter"(AKA your team's worst hitter), is not a compliment, or grounds to make him a starter of any kind.

Podsednik (sp?) I wouldn't mind, but Doug Davis? is the sub 500 for his career Doug Davis? Don't be fooled by that ERA he posted last year - A Fluke.

Stay away from him. YUK  :puke

40-41 Barerly sub-.500. His contract is like pennies compared to others. If you don't count the year he was injured and started only 10 games, he has successively lowered his ERA in each year he's pitched in the majors. Down to 3.39 for 34 starts last year. Raised K/9 to 7.21. Raised G/F to 1.42. I think he's headed in the right direction and would be a cheap solution to the 5-hole mystery we can't solve.

He didn't play at second at all in the minors last season, but when he was brought up he was clearly getting a look from Ozzie/KW at 2B.  He played there more than SS.

Also -- Jeckle, we know you like WH, but calling him the "ideal #9 hitter"(AKA your team's worst hitter), is not a compliment, or grounds to make him a starter of any kind.

I don't mean it as a complement.

His defense alone I think should give him a ticket to the show because he is the best defense player at his particular position on the team maybe.

I'd be willing to survive with his crappy bat in the 9 hole even against LH pitching if that offense was coming from someone else.