Braves Trade Capellan For Dan Kolb

Not a smart move by the Braves. Capellan has an insanely high upside and is one of the best prospects in all of the minors. Kolb has a very low strikeout rate and that does bode well at all for any pitcher, let alone a closer. But then again, John Schuerholz probably knows what he's doing here.

I guess that makes Smoltz a starter again to replace Wright in the rotation. Capellan will be a stud in a few seasons though, and if they can lock up Sheets for the long - term, they'll have a nice 1-2 punch for a few seasons.

The Braves have won 13 straight Division Titles, they rarely make stupid moves.

This is true. Like Cerb said I'm sure Schuerholtz knows what he's doing, however I personally don't like this trade for them. I've seen Jose pitch and I think he's going to be a fricken stud.

Seems like both teams ended up with the guy they wanted. Melvin said he wasn't going to trade Kolb unless he got an offer he couldn't refuse...this must have been one of those offers.

Brewers get a young, promising arm.

Braves get a proven closer and can move Smoltz back to the rotation.

Fine move all around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1944083

According to a team that has spoken with the Cubs, Chicago has at least kicked around the possibility of trying out Kerry Wood as a closer, if they can't obtain one elsewhere.

To which this dumbass Cubs fan as NSBB replied with:

Turning a dominat starter who can go 7-9 innings each time out is a ridiculous idea. 

:dips***

I know making Wood a closer is stupid because he walks a ton of guys, and I recall him getting roughed up in the first inning, but Kerry Wood is a "dominant starter" who is capable of going at least 7 strong every time he's on the mound?

Yeah okay pal. :rolly :fthecubs

Wow, I think the Cubs REALLY need to sign Beltran now... I mean they don't even make a run at Renteria (I don't think the Nomar signing was better than Renteria for the long term), they're having trouble moving Sammy, they're really running out of options for closers, and they're close to bringing a similar line-up back who couldn't generate a run in a close game when their playoff life depended on it.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Cubs attempted to make Wood a closer, this guy can't stay healthy and often has 100+ pitches in the 6th inning.

There's a friend of mine who is a Cubs fan, and when the Cubs gave him the extension last year I mentioned how he had never won more than 14 games in a year, despite all his hype. He would say how the bullpen blows a lot of his games, but my argument is that if Wood learned how to pitch he would be able to go deeper into games and not have the bullpen in his games in the 7th.

I think Wood could make a good closer if he and the Cubs wanted him to do that job.

I'd guess that he would be more aggressive about throwing strikes if he didn't have to be concerned with pitch count and going deep into games.

He has nasty stuff and the right mentality to close if that was the role he was given.

I think Wood could make a good closer if he and the Cubs wanted him to do that job.

I'd guess that he would be more aggressive about throwing strikes if he didn't have to be concerned with pitch count and going deep into games.

He has nasty stuff and the right mentality to close if that was the role he was given.

Do we really know he has the right mentality to close?? I just think we'd have to see him close before we could say that. Anyways the cubs are real f***ed if they can't find a closer. They won't do anything this upcoming year if they go into the year with Latroy as the closer the way their offense is currently constructed, jmo.

Do we really know he has the right mentality to close??  I just think we'd have to see him close before we could say that.  Anyways the cubs are real f***ed if they can't find a closer.  They won't do anything this upcoming year if they go into the year with Latroy as the closer the way their offense is currently constructed, jmo.

From what I've seen of him, I think he does.

He wants the ball, he goes after hitters, he steps up and takes blame when he f***s up - I like his style.

They definitely won't try him at closer this year - I'm talking about later on, like what happened with Eckersley, Smoltz, etc.

They're probably going to try Dempster, Farnsworthless, etc. this year, unless they're "flying under the radar" :lol: with some deal in the works.

Hawkins + Borowski = bad news for them