Nero Says Johnson never turned down the Sox

santo=dorf

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...s_cws&fext=.jsp

The Diamondbacks, Johnson's current team, were to meet with Johnson's agents somewhere around 8:30 p.m. PT on Saturday night to discuss his situation. Arizona could broach a contract extension with the Big Unit, especially with the addition of Troy Glaus and Russ Ortiz through free agency improving their competitive nature, or a list of interested teams could be presented for Johnson's select trade approval.

One of those teams on the list will be the White Sox. Ken Williams entered the weekend believing the acquisition of Johnson was a dead issue, being told by general manager Joe Garagiola that Johnson did not want to pitch for the White Sox. But Williams saw a new chance to strike when Alan Nero, one of Johnson's agents, made it clear Friday that Johnson hadn't turned down the White Sox because he hadn't been asked about a trade to the White Sox.

Williams would not expound any further in regards to the Johnson situation. "It's best that I don't comment on that today," Williams said during a Saturday night media briefing.

:bringit

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitesox.com does not usually put fanciful stories on the web. Tonight's story suggests that it is still possible that the Big Unit might come to the South Side - if a contract extension is on the table. I'd be shocked if it happens, but it's curious that Whitesox.com would put it out there.

Note that Randy was scheduled to meet with his agents at 830 p.m. PST - which is

RIGHT NOW.

I got tired of all this stuff w/ Colon. I'm done thinking about RJ, hopefully Kenny will pull off a reprise and shock me when we get him. It'd be even better if all we have to give up is Borchard, Politte, and Cotts. (Kinda my modern day equivalent of Liefer, Biddle, and Osuna. Yeah, alright, Cotts/Osuna's not that comparable, but anyway...) But officially, I've given up hope. <_>

I still say if KW makes this deal he would have to be the worst GM in baseball.

He's 41. Too much of a risk for a team with our payroll.

Plus we can't afford another pitcher to replace Garland if we trade him.

Just imagine how ESPN will treat this trade if RJ got hurt and Garland had his breakout season in the NL.

It would be awesome the stir that would be created by RJ coming to the southside. I am not holding my breath though. I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell he wants to come to Chicago...he has said only the Yanks. Its probably BS to try and get the Yanks more interested and bumping up their offer....I guess time will tell though.

Reading between the lines, Kenny has or will get approval from JR to up the payroll if he can get RJ.

And frankly he should do the same if we acquire Hudson. Hudson wants 4 years over $50 mil, and we could give him that but most likely we'd have to trade Jose Contreras first. If Contreras doesn't pitch well before July, he could very well be outta here anyways, but the Sox would probably have to pay some of his contract for another team to take him.

Since the Yankees are close to signing Pavano, does that mean they have given up on acquiring Johnson? I assume that if they could get RJ, they will most likely still go after him, but I wonder if this move (Pavano) makes it more likely that the Sox could get RJ.

Since the Yankees are close to signing Pavano, does that mean they have given up on acquiring Johnson?  I assume that if they could get RJ, they will most likely still go after him, but I wonder if this move (Pavano) makes it more likely that the Sox could get RJ.

It depends on whether the Yanks can move Brown along with Vazquez which is now unlikely for 2 reasons. The 2 teams Brown was interested in a trade too, Philly hav their rotation sewn up, and Atlanta could too if they resign Paul Byrd. Wright passed his physical so he's a Yank, and than there's Eric Milton as well.

Since the Yankees are close to signing Pavano, does that mean they have given up on acquiring Johnson?  I assume that if they could get RJ, they will most likely still go after him, but I wonder if this move (Pavano) makes it more likely that the Sox could get RJ.

I think the sox could work out a deal for RJ w/o the yanks. Ariz. can't afford him with their recent FA signings, Glaus, and Ortiz. Ariz's options are very limited and will have to make a move. The Yanks don't seem like they will deal with Ariz directly now. The really don't, with Wright, Pavano, Mussina, Vazquez, and ? locked up.

But I think it could be question of would the sox keep RJ and his $16 mill salary [with it being likely another $16 mill in 2006]. Or trade RJ to the yanks for Vazquez, cash [like $10 million to get Vazquez's salary down to $8.17 mill a yr over 3 yrs, and maybe a guy like Brad Halsey.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Yet the sox getting RJ sounds very possible.