Nero Says Johnson never turned down the Sox

santo=dorf

I'm listening to MLB radio from the winter meetings. Someone( I should probably pay more attention to who it is) keeps mentioning that the sox are going to go hard after rj again. Then they were talking about teams who can spend money and he said if the white sox get rj they could be an interesting team. Anyways, take it fwiw.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then they were talking about teams who can spend money and he said if the white sox get rj they could be an interesting team.  Anyways, take it fwiw.

That's the entire point.

If the Sox can trade for Johnson, they've put the league on notice that they plan on actually contending for the WS Title. With that being the case, you have to get Johnson, and depending on what the deal is, have to go out and get another bat or arm.

If you're going to take a run at the WS, don't do it half assed.

By the way that was Bob Nightingale(sp?) from sportsweekly. Everytime someone brought up rj he said he doesn't think he'll end up a yankee and that the sox are going to go back after him. He said it might take a contract extension from the White Sox to convince him to go there. Interesting to hear.

By the way that was Bob Nightingale(sp?) from sportsweekly.  Everytime someone brought up rj he said he doesn't think he'll end up a yankee and that the sox are going to go back after him.  He said it might take a contract extension from the White Sox to convince him to go there.  Interesting to hear.

Interesting to hear.

Bob is one of the better baseball insiders out there. I would bet the ranch on the Sox giving him an extension if he wants to come here.

Bob is one of the better ones in the business and If I recall he used to cover the Sox in some capacity so I'm sure he still has contacts within the organization.

I'm with Ian, you pick up RJ all of a sudden you look for the Sox to fill whatever hole they created with a smaller fa pickup or along the nontender route, imo.

RJ puts the league on notice and creates a buzz the southside hasn't had in FOREVER.

I'm with Ian, you pick up RJ all of a sudden you look for the Sox to fill whatever hole they created with a smaller fa pickup or along the nontender route, imo. 

RJ puts the league on notice and creates a buzz the southside hasn't had in FOREVER.

Exactly Jason.

All Randy has to do is look to Curt Schilling, traded to a team who had good players, but could never put it all together. He came in and said "why not us", and now Schilling is a baseball legend for carrying and a team to the World Series and winning it.

if konerko were to be moved, would kw go after delgado....or someone smaller in contract?  and if lee were to be moved who would kw target to replace him?

Delgado wants $16 mil over 4 years, he ain't gonna get it, but he's definitely out of the Sox's price range. And Everett would replace Lee in Left Field, allowing Gload to DH.

Is it safe to say yet that Paulie wouldn't be the guy traded? There is a lot of Caballo talk going on.

Would everyone still be on board with a CLee,Garland,prospect for Johnson deal?

Just trying to add a dose of reality here. As much as we'd like to see Paulie and Garland...Kenny seems to be going pretty hard and I think he's going for broke. In my opinion, Lee could be the deciding factor in a Sox-D'Backs trade straight up.

Exactly Jason.

All Randy has to do is look to Curt Schilling, traded to a team who had good players, but could never put it all together. He came in and said "why not us", and now Schilling is a baseball legend for carrying and a team to the World Series and winning it.

That same legend status could happen to him on the South Side. I think thats something that could really interest him. With Dye and Hermanson here you also know that with whatever bat that they deal they can get a guy like Gibbons on the cheap to semi replace his production and then maybe sign a Wilson Alvarez or even Elo (if Garland is a part of the package).

Delgado wants $16 mil over 4 years, he ain't gonna get it, but he's definitely out of the Sox's price range. And Everett would replace Lee in Left Field, allowing Gload to DH.

If the Sox got RJ, I'm assuming they would go one year with a 5th starter (if Garland is a part of a deal) and either one year or if Gibbons or someone like Gibbons is cheap enough multi year.

That same legend status could happen to him on the South Side.  I think thats something that could really interest him.  With Dye and Hermanson here you also know that with whatever bat that they deal they can get a guy like Gibbons on the cheap to semi replace his production and then maybe sign a Wilson Alvarez or even Elo (if Garland is a part of the package).

Right.

If he ends up with the Yanks and they win the Series he plays a small part. If he comes here and the Sox win the Series, oh my god, we'd be talking about him 25 years from now.

Argh they need to trade Kong over Carlos!

That would be nice, I'd much rather give up Pauly too, however this is Randy Johnson. Just thinking of the possibilities of having Randy, Freddy, and Buehrle go the first 3 games of a playoffs series, wow :wub: . Getting Randy makes the sox a world series contender because of that rotation we'd be able to set up in the playoffs.

Here's what we have to ask ourselves:

Are we willing to give our best shot at a WS now and set ourselves up for potential mediocrity in the future?

Can a White Sox team without Carlos, Garland, and possibly Frank make it to the playoffs in 2005 with RJ, Grilli/Diaz, Dye, and Everett?

If the answer to both of these is YES, then we have to trade Carlos, Garland, and a quality prospect for Randy. It's not going to cost less than that people.

If we do make it to the playoffs with a healthy Randy Johnson, Buehrle, and Garcia, we are giving ourselves a good shot at a title.