alot teams after lee and konerko

chisox2334

12/12/2004 8:21 PM ET

Sox practice patience at meetings

GM Williams not giving up on landing Johnson

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Carlos Lee could theoretically be part of a trade for Arizona's Randy Johnson. (Duane Burleson/AP)

ANAHEIM -- Meeting the Chicago media for what would most likely be the final time at Major League Baseball's 2004 Winter Meetings, Kenny Williams seemed to be in a very upbeat and positive mood.

One of the assembled reporters asked the White Sox general manager if his gregarious nature Sunday afternoon was a harbinger of a major move on the horizon. With a smile, Williams pointed out that it was more about his own personal nature than anything to do with the team.

But he wasn't leaving the West Coast disappointed.

"If people did things on my timetable and according to my dreams and desires, things would certainly get done in a timely basis," Williams said. "But I'm not really disappointed. You just have to exercise a little patience.

"There are roads we've traveled down that are designed to improve the team. You never can tell if something will happen sooner or later. Many times, you see a lot of things happen the very next week, so we'll just have to wait and see."

Williams was unable to shed any new light on whether an acquisition of Randy Johnson from Arizona would be one of those moves coming soon. Arizona met with Johnson's agents late into Saturday night, and once again appears to be set on keeping the hard-throwing left-hander unless an offer overwhelms the Diamondbacks. Williams hadn't heard anything regarding the long conversation as of Sunday afternoon.

When asked if he had a straight answer regarding Johnson's interest in the White Sox, after he had been told that the Big Unit would not pitch in Chicago, Williams matter-of-factly answered, "That would be a no." The lack of concrete information or overall uncertainty doesn't mean Williams is giving up on bringing in the long shot.

"I'll continue to talk to anyone who wants to talk to us about ideas in improving the club," Williams said. "Until you are told no on a particular issue, I think it's my job and my duty and responsibility and obligation to the team and to the fans to try to pursue it to the end."

Carlos Lee / LF

Born: 06/20/76

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 240 lbs

Bats: R / Throws: R

More info:

Player page

Stats | Splits

Gallery

Team Site

A number of teams have interest in White Sox left fielder Carlos Lee, who theoretically could be part of a trade for Johnson. Milwaukee reportedly is one of the strongest squads from that group and would seem to have a natural fit with the White Sox in leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik or utility infielder Keith Ginter, who could challenge Willie Harris at second base and serve as the team's backup third baseman.

Williams refused comment on the Brewers' possibility.

The trade route seems to be the only road available for the White Sox in terms of adding an impact player, Williams' primary goal with every move he makes. But with the shockingly high market set for free agents, the trade avenue could be a road traveled by teams other than the White Sox.

That change makes it "a whole lot of fun" for the White Sox, according to Williams. It also could account for Williams' demeanor as the South Side brain trust prepares to return home, even though any significant acquisitions were unlikely.

"No. I'm just moody," said Williams, drawing a big laugh from the media group during a conversation by the pool at the Anaheim Marriott. "Today I'm in a better mood than I was yesterday.

"The free-agent market has surprised many of us. So the only alternative for the majority of the clubs since quite frankly, in my opinion, things have gotten out of hand, is to try to improve themselves in the trade route. That's where we are right now.

"We are always trying to add impact type of guys," Williams added. "Trust me, we are after players that I can one day envision winning a championship for

milwaukee interested in el caballo? how bout lee for sheets straight up. or a bigger trade: lee, Bmac for sheets, ginter,  podsednik

Brewers ain't going to deal Sheets for that, especially when they'd be adding salary. Frankly unless Jenkins is able to play RF or CF, it's hard to see where Lee would fit in with the Brewers' plans unless he played LF.

Sounds to me just the opposite.  That he mainly had some initial talks but that he's going to go the trade route.

Jason, you've said it, and I'll repeat it -- if we trade Carlos Lee, we better damn well get a king's ransom for him. I'm talking, a return that brings us two everyday MLB players (be it another above average starting pitcher and a position player, a dominant reliever, whatever), as well as a pretty solid prospect. Lee is on the verge of being a stud in the majors, Kenny better get all he can for Lee and then some if he trades him...

Jason, you've said it, and I'll repeat it -- if we trade Carlos Lee, we better damn well get a king's ransom for him.  I'm talking, a return that brings us two everyday MLB players (be it another above average starting pitcher and a position player, a dominant reliever, whatever), as well as a pretty solid prospect.  Lee is on the verge of being a stud in the majors, Kenny better get all he can for Lee and then some if he trades him...

Agreed, RJ is the only exception to that rule (at least for me), but even then I'd much rather see Konerko go. To be honest I'd deal Konerko and the entire farm system for RJ. He's that good. It means everyone shifts down in the rotation and wowzers does it send a message to the city of chicago, the fans of the Sox, and to the players.

It also could lure a veteran or two to the southside because they (get this) want to play for a winner. I believe if the Sox acquire Johnson then you see payroll move around 80 million. They probably extend his deal as well.

Konerko and Lee are good players - team should want them. particularly Lee who has power and an improving plate discipline as per his OBP - we need to get a lot for Carlos.

Keith Ginter and Posednik for Lee? LOL Ginter is another whom I saw a ton of times as a minor leaguer and plenty of times on TV with Houston - no thank you. And posednik and his .313 OBP? Uh, I don't think so

if getting rid of lee lands us a pitcher of ben sheets caliber so be it as long as none of the other pitchers in our rotation our part of the package....With Clee gone we got everett to play LF and he can contribute for a year and if he falters it just makes room for brian anderson.... but again and i stress this especially with carlos lee, he only goes for a solid number 2 pitcher at least... so if ben sheets for clee was straight up hell yeah id do it... not only would we easily have the best rotation we would have money to sign les say polanco

the trade that really had me interested was the oliver perez one idont care about prospects if you can get a young pitcher that good you give them all they want in our minors.

Castillo, Lo Duca, and Valdez for Lee.

Just go with me here...regardless, right now, of whether the Marlins would do that, is that a good deal for us? We add a lefty, a lead off hitter, a base stealer, and an all star in castillo, a capable starting C in Lo Duca, and a 4th or 5th starter to fill out the rotation. Also, maybe add in Encarnacion, to replace Lee.

Would Florida do that? Probably not. But I would...I think that's fair value. They get a LF who will probably thrust himself into stardom next year, and they shave off a few million, and we fill multiple holes.

Just go with me here...regardless, right now, of whether the Marlins would do that, is that a good deal for us?  We add a lefty, a lead off hitter, a base stealer, and an all star in castillo, a capable starting C in Lo Duca, and a 4th or 5th starter to fill out the rotation.  Also, maybe add in Encarnacion, to replace Lee.

Would Florida do that?  Probably not.  But I would...I think that's fair value.  They get a LF who will probably thrust himself into stardom next year, and they shave off a few million, and we fill multiple holes.

LOL, u must be kidding. that is a HUGE steal for us.

Just go with me here...regardless, right now, of whether the Marlins would do that, is that a good deal for us?  We add a lefty, a lead off hitter, a base stealer, and an all star in castillo, a capable starting C in Lo Duca, and a 4th or 5th starter to fill out the rotation.  Also, maybe add in Encarnacion, to replace Lee.

Would Florida do that?  Probably not.  But I would...I think that's fair value.  They get a LF who will probably thrust himself into stardom next year, and they shave off a few million, and we fill multiple holes.

We should get them to throw in Beckett and Burnett while we are at it. :bang

Let's put it this way: this deal is more one-sided in OUR favor than the Lee for Ginter and/or Posednik is one-sided in the Brewer's favor

I know.  Bu can't someone dream.  It is always feels like were on the short end of things.  It has to be reversed at least once....

Maybe not.

I like the way you think. It's our turn to get an edge, at least on paper.

2 of those 3 might be a good deal, although I don't trust Castillo despite his good numbers