Life or Death?

southsider2k5

I think he's going to get death. He was convicted in the court of public opinion far before this trial even started and I have to wonder how much of the "Well everybody knows he's guilty" BS had to do with him getting convicted in the first place when the state had no direct evidence tying him to the crime -- only circumstantial evidence like "He bought a boat without telling anybody so he must have murdered his wife."

My God... they sentenced him to death.

It will likely never happen. There are so many possibilities of appeals that by the time they are all exhausted he will hit old age.

Many of the commentators seem to think the guilty verdict will be over turned within the next few years or so.

Did I see correctly that the jury deliberated for TWELVE HOURS before settling on the death recommendation?

I think that's right..

And get this.. they asked to see the autopsy photo's again... why..? They already found him guilty. Perhaps a few of them were questioning their decision..? A bit unsure..?

:headshake

Remember this is just a recommendation. The judge doesn't have to go with it.

Also, if Peterson got life instead, the California Department of Corrections has already said he would be a "special-case" prisoner, which means he would have no contact with the general population. He would still get the same treatment, i.e. outside time, food, TV (yes, they get one in their cell there), but he would be with a much smaller group of men.

If Peterson would actually be put in the general population, I would be all for it. He is just as cold hearted as any other man/woman who has killed and should be treated accordingly.

EDIT: Oh and Steff, the only thing I've heard about them asking for pictures was that they asked to see pictures of her at a Christmas Party, alone and pregnant, while Scott was with his tramp.

Can anybody show me a piece of physical evidence putting Scott at the f***ing crime scene -- DNA, forensics, fibers, fingerprints on a murder weapon, blood on his clothes, linking him to the site where the murder actually took place -- you can't? Oh good. I'm glad he was convicted on such strong evidence

I'm not saying he didn't do it possibly but the evidence the state gave was total s***. "He bought a boat without telling anybody so he had to have murdered Laci" or "He had the wrong kind of lures so he must have murdered his wife." :headshake

Can anybody show me a piece of physical evidence putting Scott at the f***ing crime scene -- DNA, forensics, fibers, fingerprints on a murder weapon, blood on his clothes, linking him to the site where the murder actually took place -- you can't? Oh good. I'm glad he was convicted on such strong evidence

I'm not saying he didn't do it possibly but the evidence the state gave was total s***. "He bought a boat without telling anybody so he had to have murdered Laci" or "He had the wrong kind of lures so he must have murdered his wife."  :headshake

I judged him guilty as soon as she went missing. I said go find the husband and lock him up. Having admitted that, I too am shocked that they felt confident enough to also recommend the death penalty. I will be very surprised if the Judge agrees. Of course if he does, he'll be an activist Judge, and marked as a liberal weak kneed jurist.

You know what is funny? People still are talking about that Jon Benet thing too. That same weekend a baby was found left for dead in Chicago, raped and gang symbols carved into her... and nobody cared. When I found that out, these "vanity cases" lost all meaning to me.

Hellooooo, a middle/upper class white child is worth sooooooo much more than a ghetto one!!![/green]

Seriously that's a good point, Wino.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

My God... they sentenced him to death.

I'm as shocked as you are. Between this, Pavano, and Varitek I've been way off on some of my bolder predictions.

Did you hear the jurors quotes, specifically that red hair ladies? Jesus, all they were talking about was there feelings. Thats the problem with the legal system today, its not the law that settles the case its the 12 jurors and what there opinions are.

Thats not how it should be and Garagos is one of the s***tiest attorneys I've seen in a long time. He didn't even come close in a case that he should of had at least a decent shot at winning.

He's going to get a new attorney, and a new trial though based on the way two jurors were kicked out during deliberation. Coincidentally the two that would of kept that jury hung.

I'll say it again, the evidence isn't there for this. Talk about hwo he had an affair and that he's an asshole, but it doens't mean he murdered his wife.

I think that's right..

And get this.. they asked to see the autopsy photo's again... why..? They already found him guilty. Perhaps a few of them were questioning their decision..? A bit unsure..?

:headshake

Nah, they just wanted to show the other jurors the dead bodies to bring up emotions so they could get the death penalty verdict. They being the more outspoken jurors.

I'm not saying he didn't do it possibly but the evidence the state gave was total s***. "He bought a boat without telling anybody so he had to have murdered Laci" or "He had the wrong kind of lures so he must have murdered his wife."  :headshake

:notworthy I think he did it, but our legal system isn't about thinking, its about knowing.

How is this case so popular, it makes no sense at all.  I don't mean to be insensitive but who gives a s*** about a murder, happens everyday.  Why anyone outside of Modesto, California cares is beyond me.

I ask the same thing. People are murdered every day so why the hell are we more concerned with this one over the rest is beyond me.

I ask the same thing. People are murdered every day so why the hell are we more concerned with this one over the rest is beyond me.

I think everyone is still going off of the "OJ effect", meaning that they have to make sure they "get it right" after the OJ debacle.