Rosenthal Update on Lee

Mr. Showtime

If this trade results in freed up money to obtain a solid starting pitcher, then honestly, I'm all for it.  Offense has not been the reason for the Sox demise over the last few years, the lack of depth in the starting rotation has been.  Not only that, but we would be bolstering our relief core also.  Personally, if we got Pod, Ginter, and Vizcaino for Lee and a low level minor leaguer, I would be pretty content.

Yes, but just look at how many games the last few years the offense has either scored 10 or more runs, or only 1 on a homer. The offense has been extremely inconsistent the last few years. The offense, though not to the extent of SP, is a problem for the Sox.

As opposed to any other lineup the Sox have brought to the table in the last 5 years????  I think the Sox problem has been that they have too many power right handed hitters.  Podsednik may only have had a .313 OBP last year, but was at .373 the year before.  Thats not too bad.  Also I have high expectations that Uribe will become a solid SS and a very good hitter. 

Look the Sox have had over 200 HRs for a team the last 5 years.  Last year, they did it with Maggs and Frank both being out more then half a season.  I am tired of the long ball.  Change in this fashion, I think, is good.  Now, if they can get another solid starter, my Christmas wishlist will be met.

Uribe will always be a streaky player. With a swing that ugly, you have to be happy with whatever you get from him. As Hawk said, he's going to go on tears, but he's also going to slump with the worst of them.

A bit early to make Aaron Rowand our #3 hitter isn't it?

Taking the mound today...Jose Contreras.

Batting 1-3 today...Scott Podsednik, Juan Uribe, Aaron Rowand. :puke

Ugh'. Fingers crossed for that fifth starter.

It looks just as good as, if not better than the Minnesota Twins' 2004 lineup.

Their lineup also did not put fear into teams...it was not one of the best lineups in the majors.

What won the division for them was good, consistent pitching up and down...Santana-Radke-Silva-Lohse-Mulholland was pretty solid and their bullpen was one of the most solid pens in the league too...Balfour-Romero-Rincon-Nathan is a very solid pen, and they have Crain coming up too.

Their lineup scored enough runs to win. That's all its responsibility was.

We have a chance to have that same kind of thing if we were to acquire another SP without having to give up Garland, or if we do have to give up Garland, we'd have to replace him in the rotation with someone who is decent.

I totally agree, the offense has been extremely inconsistent. But one of the main reasons for that was our reliance on the long ball. If you add someone like Podsednik to your team, you put yourself in a better position to manufacture runs. Also, Podsednik is a very good bunter, which fits well with Ozzie's system. Maybe one of the reasons I'm in favor of this trade is that, unlike some on this board, realize that we're not going to get a marquee pitcher like Ben Sheets, etc., in a trade for Konerko or Lee, and if we can turn Carlos Lee into Pod, Vizcaino, minor leaguer, and a pitcher like Odalis or Lowe, I think it's a great tradeoff.

Uribe will always be a streaky player.  With a swing that ugly, you have to be happy with whatever you get from him.  As Hawk said, he's going to go on tears, but he's also going to slump with the worst of them.

Uribe hit at least .286 in 5 out of 7 months. That's not bad in my opinion. If everyone on the team hit like that, we could cover for the slumpers.

Uribe will always be a streaky player.  With a swing that ugly, you have to be happy with whatever you get from him.  As Hawk said, he's going to go on tears, but he's also going to slump with the worst of them.

A bit early to make Aaron Rowand our #3 hitter isn't it?

Taking the mound today...Jose Contreras.

Batting 1-3 today...Scott Podsednik, Juan Uribe, Aaron Rowand. :puke

Ugh'.  Fingers crossed for that fifth starter.

I completely agree, there is absolutely no consistancy at the top of that order. Pods had one good year, one mediocre year. Uribe one decent, streaky year. Aaron has had one good year. NO consistency.

If this trade results in freed up money to obtain a solid starting pitcher, then honestly, I'm all for it.

You're right, it is the way a deal like this makes sense.

My bigest fear then would be that once some payroll was freed up, if the Sox didn't get "the" rotation guy they decided they were going to gun for then any money freed up would just end up back in JR's pockets. Like the money they tried to use to resign Colon last winter. Not that it's a huge chunk of money in this case. But if it was Konerko they were trying to move (which may still happen), and then if whatever trade for the front-of-the-rotation guy they'd go after fell through I could see JR not reinvesiting the $8-10 million or so in freed up payroll on someone of near-equivalent value.