Lee for SPod, Vizcaino, and PTBNL

Buehrle>Wood

Are they going to try and make sure they don't walk Pods so they don't have to face Rowand with a runner on 1st(or 2nd I suppose)? I don't think so.

If anyone benefits in that situation, it is Rowand, being the #2 hitter. If Frank is healthy and hitting in the #3 hole and hitting well...that is Pods on 1B who will steal 2nd at any time and one of the most dangerous power hitters in the game hitting behind you.

.320 30 100 .900 a possibility? You bet your ass it would be.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonetheless, the protection a hitter has is an important factor in the numbers he puts up.

So you are telling me if pujols was on the expos he would not put up similar numbers? I find that hard to beleive. You telling me that if pierre is on the pirates he would not put up similar numbers? I find that hard to beleive.

So you are telling me if pujols was on the expos he would not put up similar numbers? I find that hard to beleive. You telling me that if pierre is on the pirates he would not put up similar numbers? I find that hard to beleive.

My point is all these factors matter. And maybe they would have put up different numbers for different teams, but who knows and who gives a hoot.

Well I thought something would go down soon, never thought it would go down this quickly though. Lemme just say for those ppl who think we can sign Odalis Perez for 3 years $17 mill, it ain't goin to happen. He's very close to signing with the New York Mets, and Washington offered him 3 years $20 million, and Jim Bowden for once wasn't very confident that he wouldn't sign him. That leaves Matt Clement (who will probably sign with Anaheim real soon), Eric Milton (yuck), and Paul Byrd (2 years coming back from arm surgery) as the main starters still on the FA market.

Frankly with the addition of Vizcaino, I don't know what to think of the Hermanson signing now. We've got 5 guys who can rotate in the closer / setup role (Shingo, Hermanson, Marte, Vizcaino, Politte) even though Politte will be used in middle relief in the 6th and 7th innings so it's going to be hard to keep those guys happy. My feeling is we miss out on a starter, and Hermanson is moved to the 5th starter.

Vizcaino should be a handy addition though. He's brutal against lefties and has an excellent fastball, they were just going to make him the closer after Danny Kolb left, so he was rated fairly highly by the Brewers' brass.

I really doubt Ginter is the player to be named later, although he would also be a nice addition on the Southside as he crushes lefties, which is something Willie Harris certainly doesn't do. And Ginter also plays 3B, so you know if Joe Crede struggles, he could take over there for some games as well.

Whether this deal is mainly going to be a success however is with Podsednik. There are many arguments for and against believing Podsednik will rebound and hit about .270 with a .330 - .340 OBP next season.

FOR

He's a damn hard worker

Moving from Miller's Park (Pitching Park) to the Cell (Hitter's Park)

Ozzie will be able to use small ball with him more, and teach him some stuff

AGAINST

Career record in the minors, is nothing flash at all.

Doesn't exactly have a great OBP

Overall I think Podsednik may struggle originally, getting adjusted to his new surroundings and trying to work out the kinks still. I think you may see him pick it up a little as the season goes on however, sort of a Aaron Rowand of 2004 like year, with less homers and less average.

I'll miss Carlos though. In 2003 he was one of most consistent if not our most consistent hitter, and going into that season there were a lot of question marks about him whether he could develop into the player that his talent showed. He did nothing wrong in 2004 either, he just happened to be stuck on a team with a glut of power hitters without a division title to their name in a fairly weak division. He will struggle in the field in RF though, if that's where they play him, but I wish him nothing the best over in Milwaulkee.

Sure to please Cheat:

Similar Batters through Age 28 

Lenny Green (964)

Johnny Mokan (963)

Dan Gladden (961)

Timo Perez (961)

Oh yeah -- to quote myself from BTF.

The only way I can defend trading for a guy whose age 28 comps include fellow White Sox Timo Perez is

1)if the cash saved is somehow turned into another solid starter

or

2)the PTBNL is the aforementioned Weeks or Fielder

My feeling is we miss out on a starter, and Hermanson is moved to the 5th starter.

I think we are a lot closer to that than some of the happy-pants posters think.

That may very well be the situation come ST.

Kenny better make a move for a starter come Soxfest or we're going to tear him a new one.

I personally think that this was a very good trade for the sox. I love Carlos and I think he will be a very good hitter for years to come, but the sox are moving in another direction towards pitching and defense and he doesnt fit that mold. As for postitives, first of all I would challenge anyone to come up with a better defensive outfield in the AL than the one the KW has just put together. NOt to mention that with PODS we can now stop relying on Willie to steal all of our bases because we all know that he does not have the jump, nor the intelligence to steal that many bases. Second of all, slowly but surely KW has solidified our bullpen with a couple of key signings, something that we were all crying about in the offseason. And third, it is obvious that he also freed up almost 5 million dollars of wiggle room in the budget to go out and secure another player where it is needed. I know alot of people are crying their eyes out that our power numbers arent going to be the same, and they wont be able to see the pretty fireworks go off as much, but you have to understand that the lineup that was put together for all power has not worked for us. This team needs to try another direction, and this is it, one of defense and pitching. And as far as trying to improve those two areas, I think KW is on the right track. I am very anxious to see what comes about with the rest of the cash for his last move of the offseason.

I think we are a lot closer to that than some of the happy-pants posters think. 

That may very well be the situation come ST.

Kenny better make a move for a starter come Soxfest or we're going to tear him a new one.

If the case is that we miss out on a starter, we better significantly upgrade one of 2B/SS

Why this trade isn't as terrible as everyone thinks:

Scott's numbers from last year look kind of terrible at first, especially the all important OPS (.677?!). But I'll tell you why he's more valuable than that: stolen bases. I'm sure people have pointed this out before, but I don't know if anyone's looked at it the way I do (and I don't feel like reading the whole thread). Scott's 70 steals represent an extra 70 bases not calculated in slugging percentage. When those bases are counted he comes out with a slugging percentage of around .520 which is roughly in the Lee/Konerko area. That's why a guy who hits .244 can score 84 runs. I think Podsednik will hit somewhere between .244 and .310 in 2005, which would result in an increase in his OBP, as well. Now, I still would rather have Carlos roaming left, but this trade isn't all that horrible, especially if the prospect we get turns out to be a good one.