Sox and Mets targeting Luis Garcia

R.J.

The Mets and White Sox are competing for minor league free agent Luis Garcia.

Garcia, who was the top prospect to change hands in Boston's aquisition of Dustin Hermanson in 2001 and Cleveland's pickup of Chuck Finley the following year, hit .314/.354/.584 for Triple-A Las Vegas last season. He just turned 26 last month, so he's one of the best minor league free agents available.

So THATS what we're spending the savings on.

How many bidding wars with the Mets do you think we win?

He would be a nice AAA player who could possibly help the Sox out for a week or two should injuries pop up. :bringit

Yeah, the only way I can see him possibly making the Sox's roster on the bench is if one of Konerko or Gload is moved, which could still be very possible. But besides this season, Garcia hasn't really dominated the minors as far as I know.

Maybe this guy then.

Ryan Howard - 1B - PHI

Ryan Howard isn't making any demands, but he hopes the Phillies will trade him to a team that will allow him to play.

Howard is already 25, so another year in the minors probably isn't going to help his stock any. Unfortunately for him, the Phillies have already fulfilled their major needs for 2005. They aren't likely to upgrade over Kenny Lofton and Cory Lidle now. Dec. 14 - 4:53 am et

Maybe this guy then.

Ryan Howard - 1B - PHI

Ryan Howard isn't making any demands, but he hopes the Phillies will trade him to a team that will allow him to play.

Howard is already 25, so another year in the minors probably isn't going to help his stock any. Unfortunately for him, the Phillies have already fulfilled their major needs for 2005. They aren't likely to upgrade over Kenny Lofton and Cory Lidle now. Dec. 14 - 4:53 am et

I'm pretty sure Ryan Howard has a minor league option left and I doubt the Phillies are in a hurry to trade him.

Maybe this guy then.

Ryan Howard - 1B - PHI

Howard rips the cover off the baseball. This guy is going to be fantastic in the bigs.

Anyway, do we have any solid 1B prospects in the farm system? Does Rogowski constitute as one? He could be the 1B of the future correct?

Howard isn't worth giving up Garland for. Howard isn't all that much different then Garcia. Howard just had more time in the minors. I don't think Howard is this given to be a god.

For all we know he's in the Julio Zuletta mold (he always produced with the Cubs in the minors...now he's somewhere in Japan).

I don't give up good prospects or players for 26 year old first baseman that are still in the minors.

Plus why do it when there is a similar player out there. Now I'm not saying Garcia is better then Howard, but its not like Howard is anymore proven (in a sense) so why give up something good when you can get a guy for cash???????

I do think it could bring a little validity in PK being potentially dealt. But at the same time you don't sign a minor leaguer to replace a guy of Konerko's caliber. He could platoon with Gload though, I guess.

I think its also a signing that would really help relations with Charlotte. He'd mash with the Knights. Plus the Sox have Rogo and well Rogo down in the minors when it comes to 1st base prospects and he's now out in the outfield.

Howard actually has two options left and I bet they won't move him until the deadline as part of a package for a BIG pickup. People around the league want Howard and I don't think they'd take Judy for him. I think you'd see him in a potential deadline deal for a Sheets, Pineiro, or Kip Wells.

From my handy BA 2002 Prospect Handbook: was STL's #3 prospect heading into the 2002 season.

born Nov, 5, 1978, 6'4", 180 lbs, Bats RH, Throws RH.

"He signed w/ Bos. as a pitcher and threw in the low 90's, btu an arm injury ended his career on the mound. He emerged as a hitter in the Rookie-level AZ league in 1999...He jumped to AA at mid-season in 2001 and performed so well that he was named Boston's AA payer of the yr. He has a loose, balanced swing w/ good leverage and can drive the ball to all fields. He's wiry trong w/ a body like Richie Sexton's, and he's more athletic than might be expected. He showed good pitch recognition and is a potential #5 hitter. Garcia is a good defensive 1B w/ smooth actions, though at times he's awkward going to his left. He played 10 games in the OF last season and could move there if needed."

Insurance in case PK is moved? Sounds more like a guy who could compete for a job in 2006 or in 2005 if an injury occurs

Howard isn't worth giving up Garland for.  Howard isn't all that much different then Garcia.  Howard just had more time in the minors.  I don't think Howard is this given to be a god.

For all we know he's in the Julio Zuletta mold (he always produced with the Cubs in the minors...now he's somewhere in Japan). 

I don't give up good prospects or players for 26 year old first baseman that are still in the minors. 

Plus why do it when there is a similar player out there.  Now I'm not saying Garcia is better then Howard, but its not like Howard is anymore proven (in a sense) so why give up something good when you can get a guy for cash???????

I do think it could bring a little validity in PK being potentially dealt.  But at the same time you don't sign a minor leaguer to replace a guy of Konerko's caliber.  He could platoon with Gload though, I guess. 

I think its also a signing that would really help relations with Charlotte.  He'd mash with the Knights.  Plus the Sox have Rogo and well Rogo down in the minors when it comes to 1st base prospects and he's now out in the outfield.

He's 25, and the reason he's still in the minors is because there's a guy by the name of Jim Thome in his spot. Kind of how Gload was stuck behind Grace and Helton, and he turned out to be a pretty good player when given the opportunity. Maybe he's not worth Garland, but if we have Burnett and Clement, I'd be willing to part with him, and I'm pretty certain it would be enough to get a deal done. Probably won't happen, but it's not a terrible idea assuming the rest unfolded as wanted.

He's 25, and the reason he's still in the minors is because there's a guy by the name of Jim Thome in his spot. Kind of how Gload was stuck behind Grace and Helton, and he turned out to be a pretty good player when given the opportunity. Maybe he's not worth Garland, but if we have Burnett and Clement, I'd be willing to part with him, and I'm pretty certain it would be enough to get a deal done. Probably won't happen, but it's not a terrible idea assuming the rest unfolded as wanted.

All I'm saying is I'd just as well get Garcia who has a high upside as well and wouldn't cost prospects.

He may have great numbers but he's not a guy I pin my hopes on. I'd just as well see Gload/Garcia battle for the 1st base job. Plus I happen to like Gload quite a bit.

I do think his stats trend upward though and thats reason for optimism, but I don't give up Garland for him. I don't mind the idea of Howard, its just that given what the Phils will want for him there are better options, considering the Sox are playing for this year. At the same time this guy will strike out 200 times at the major league level.