Sides for Christmas Eve dinner?

Queen Prawn

I will be making turkey breast and some type of roast beef. So far, I have come up with stuffing, mashed potatos and tossed salad. (Gravy for both is also on the menu.)

I looked for some sides in my cookbooks, but nothing tempted my tastebuds. One possibility is some form of green beans.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other sides for either the turkey or beef? :huh:

:smilesanta :rudolph :santabye

I will be making turkey breast and some type of roast beef.  So far, I have come up with stuffing, mashed potatos and tossed salad.  (Gravy for both is also on the menu.)

I looked for some sides in my cookbooks, but nothing tempted my tastebuds.  One possibility is some form of green beans.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other sides for either the turkey or beef?  :huh:

:smilesanta  :rudolph  :santabye

Yorkshire pudding, very good with the beef, OK with turkey. IMHO a good piece of cast iron is absolutely necessary to have the Yorkshire pudding turn out properly.

I also like to make corn with a bit of green and red pepper tossed in. I like the color on the plate next to the dull colors of stuffing and mashed potatoes. Or you could finely chop the peppers and use them like confetti as garnish if serving plated dinners instead of family style.

I also like to make corn with a bit of green and red pepper tossed in. I like the color on the plate next to the dull colors of stuffing and mashed potatoes. Or you could finely chop the peppers and use them like confetti as garnish if serving plated dinners instead of family style.

That was the other recipe I saw in the cookbook I was looking at last night. That is a definite possibility - it has Christmas colors. I will have to make another veggie side as my mom is restricted on corn, but the way it is cooked should make it something she can eat.

That was the other recipe I saw in the cookbook I was looking at last night.  That is a definite possibility - it has Christmas colors.  I will have to make another veggie side as my mom is restricted on corn, but the way it is cooked should make it something she can eat.

IMHO the key in that recipe is chopping the peppers very small, almost like confetti. It s there for color not taste. The last time I made it, I blanched the peppers and added them at the last minute, it added a bit of firmness to the softer corn.

I like the sweet potato (yam) idea, but I would drop either the stuffing or the mashed to accommodate the dish. You do need something a bit sweeter on the plate, so when deciding on a vegetable, I would think a little sweet. You could also drop either the stuffing or mashed and add risotto with onion, and peppers. Made with chicken stock, and a good cheese, it works with the turkey and the beef.

Will this be family style or plated? Are you planning on a salad course, or putting everything out at once? When I was doing the family Christmas dinner, I preferred a buffet style, and planned it so I could take off the side dishes and replace them with deserts but leave the turkey and standing rib roast for snacking later. Amazing how I managed to reduce the leftovers. I also invited family members to take home doggy bags, it helped with clean up.

You could also drop either the stuffing or mashed and add risotto with onion, and peppers. Made with chicken stock, and a good cheese, it works with the turkey and the beef.

2 of the men at the dinner (my dad and his brother) are from Ireland. I drop the potatoes and I get knocked on my ass lol. As for the stuffing, it's become a tradition at the meal. I like both as left overs so I won't mind making extra.

We will probably have sweet potatos as well since those are my mom's favorite.