New Randy to Chicago talk

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could an Everett, Sweeny, Borchard, Garland, Marte deal get it done?

They wanted an MLB starting outfielder: check!

They wanted a top prospect: check!

They wanted Jon s***head Garland: check!

They wanted Damaso Marte: check!

Would that get it done?  and if it did, we would be ok with that?

thoughts...

Most people here think that's too much to give up. But I'm with ya brother! We've got the depth to replace everything we're giving up, with the exception of Garland. If we get RJ, I think JR will pony up the extra cash to get a 5th starter.

This is really an insane asking price by the D-Backs. Just sign Clement or Perez and Cora or Pierzynski and that should be fine for the rest of this off-season. And Tim Hudson commands a lower price than RJ, especially after seeing their demands.

This is really an insane asking price by the D-Backs. Just sign Clement or Perez and Cora or Pierzynski and that should be fine for the rest of this off-season. And Tim Hudson commands a lower price than RJ, especially after seeing their demands.

I think Kenny may really want to look at Hudson now, ESPECIALLY after the Ginter deal...and I'll tell ya why.

Beane wanted an MLB-ready second baseman and a young arm in exchange for Tim Hudson.

Milwaukee just helped out whoever wants Hudson in a major way. Now, Kenny might be able to swing a deal for Hudson using Garland and some lower level prospects instead of Willie (I know some people still support the little s***).

Hudson's asking price was just knocked down a notch with the Ginter deal. He won't come at such an inflated price now...book it.

Guest 103mph screwball

I'd like KW to try to knock the price down, but I really think the Sox should go for it and get RJ. I agree that the PR would be huge. It would be like free advertising. Sure, there would be a lot of knowlegable Sox fans who would be pissed that too much was given for a 41 y/o pitcher. (probably right) However, I feel a TON of people who are marginal Sox fans or people who have heard of RJ would come to the Cell to check it out. They will see how nice the Cell really is, have a good time, and come back again and again. RJ will pay for himself.

The net result would be an increase in attendance. Someone pointed out that winning is what drives Sox attendance. I agree. If the Sox win more with RJ, the attendance goes up even more.

If the attendance goes up, then the payroll should go up. If the payroll goes up, free agents can be signed more often and the Sox will need fewer prospects for trades and cheap talent anyway.

In fact, if I were JR, I'd let KW sign Clement for 3 yrs 21 million (Chicago discount). This would put us in a better bargaining position with AZ. Then trade for RJ. Talk about a PR Buzz!! I'd expect a IRod type of increase in ticket sales that would pay for the payroll increase. This isn't totally far fetched based on the comments that JR would increase payroll if the right situation came along. Then if the Sox win the World Series they've hit the jackpot. Then maybe free agents like Beltran wouldn't always be pipe dreams.

How do we pay for AJ + Perez, with out giving up any salary?

SB

We don't... kenny seems satisfied with the catching situation...

Perez would be very possible though.

$6M(which is exactly what we freed up) in '05, $7M in '06(Konerko,Everett come off the books), $8M in '07(Frank is done, Contreras & Buehle off the books), $9M option for '08 -- $1.5M option buyout.

That's 3-years/$22.5M, essentially the going rate for SP.

We don't... kenny seems satisfied with the catching situation...

Perez would be very possible though.

$6M(which is exactly what we freed up) in '05, $7M in '06(Konerko,Everett come off the books), $8M in '07(Frank is done, Contreras & Buehle off the books), $9M option for '08 -- $1.5M option buyout.

That's 3-years/$22.5M, essentially the going rate for SP.

You think they're going to bring back Frank next year? They have the option to buy him out.

I'd like KW to try to knock the price down, but I really think the Sox should go for it and get RJ.  I agree that the PR would be huge.  It would be like free advertising.  Sure, there would be a lot of knowlegable Sox fans who would be pissed that too much was given for a 41 y/o pitcher.  (probably right) However, I feel a TON of people who are marginal Sox fans or people who have heard of RJ would come to the Cell to check it out.  They will see how nice the Cell really is, have a good time, and come back again and again.  RJ will pay for himself.

The net result would be an increase in attendance.  Someone pointed out that winning is what drives Sox attendance.  I agree.  If the Sox win more with RJ, the attendance goes up even more. 

If the attendance goes up, then the payroll should go up.  If the payroll goes up, free agents can be signed more often and the Sox will need fewer prospects for trades and cheap talent anyway.

In fact, if I were JR, I'd let KW sign Clement for 3 yrs 21 million (Chicago discount).  This would put us in a better bargaining position with AZ.  Then trade for RJ.  Talk about a  PR Buzz!!  I'd expect a IRod type of increase in ticket sales that would pay for the payroll increase.  This isn't totally far fetched based on the comments that JR would increase payroll if the right situation came along. Then if the Sox win the World Series they've hit the jackpot.  Then maybe free agents like Beltran wouldn't always be pipe dreams.

Did you have that name before? There is someone here by that name already, that's why I ask? If you lost your password or something, we can get you fixed and back with your old account.

You think they're going to bring back Frank next year? They have the option to buy him out.

Depends on his performance, Paulies performance, Paulies desire to test the FA market, whether ozzie still has a job, whether kenny still has a job, etc....

There's too many variables to be sure at this point, but if he's healthy, they'd be stupid not to let frank back @ 11 or 12M in '06, given the overpriced market this year, that's sure to increase in the coming seasons.

Guest 103mph screwball

Yea, I think I used to be 103 mph screwball. I can't figure out my password. I've been lurking for over a year. I couldn't keep from putting my 2 cents in. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me reactivate my old account.

Thanks

Yea, I think I used to be 103 mph screwball.  I can't figure out my password.  I've been lurking for over a year.  I couldn't keep from putting my 2 cents in.  I'd appreciate it if someone could help me reactivate my old account.

Thanks

I sent you a PM regarding it all. You should be good to go, but reply to my PM if you have any questions. :)

I say we sign Odalis Perez right now (or Clement if he gives us a discount) and decide if we should get RJ in January. The D'Backs are asking for a starting outfielder, yet reports are going around saying they have made an offer to David Dellucci, and are going to be entertaining Jeromy Burnitz soon. Hopefuly Arizona will sign either one of them, and KW won't be asked to give up as much for RJ a month from now.

Depends on his performance, Paulies performance, Paulies desire to test the FA market, whether ozzie still has a job, whether kenny still has a job, etc....

There's too many variables to be sure at this point, but if he's healthy, they'd be stupid not to let frank back @ 11 or 12M in '06, given the overpriced market this year, that's sure to increase in the coming seasons.

They won't bring him back at that price.