New Randy to Chicago talk

Mr. Showtime

I figured that after the Lee trade, the Sox had about $6-8 million to spend in free agency.

It would be nice to think that we could go to $10 or even $12mil more, but I think if that was the case, then we would undoubtedly just sign players and not trade.

But unfortunately I just dont see us spending another $10mil without there being some subtraction.

SB

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that money doesn't come between Frank leaving or staying. I think that if we buy him out that it would be a slap in the face to him and he'd leave. I fear that KW's unprofessiionalism will get in the way of bringing Frank back, unless JR steps in like many of you have suggested. We DESERVE to have Frank finish his HOF career here like he wants to. We don't need another Carlton Fisk situation. It always seems like Sox management drops the ball in these delicate situations, but maybe this time they will do it right. I look for Frank to be back in a big way in 05. He showed a good attitude this year and is still slighted by local and national media. Perception is that he is an injury prone malcontent. I don't think that is the truth, just the spin.

We don't... kenny seems satisfied with the catching situation...

Perez would be very possible though.

$6M(which is exactly what we freed up) in '05, $7M in '06(Konerko,Everett come off the books), $8M in '07(Frank is done, Contreras & Buehle off the books), $9M option for '08 -- $1.5M option buyout.

That's 3-years/$22.5M, essentially the going rate for SP.

That's comforting

We can afford another pitcher, because we won't have to pay Mark Buerhle two years from now.

We just saved $2 mill, JR is willing to raise payroll in the right situation and we can expect gradual increases anyway. I hope, when the time comes, they do everything they can to sign MB

Not that this has anything to do with the Sox and RJ, but Sexson signed an interesting deal today, where he only gets $4 million next season, and then $10 million in his 2nd year I think, and then $14 million in his last 2. Like Gene said, the Sox could be trying to do a backloaded contract with Perez or even Clement.

Not that this has anything to do with the Sox and RJ, but Sexson signed an interesting deal today, where he only gets $4 million next season, and then $10 million in his 2nd year I think, and then $14 million in his last 2. Like Gene said, the Sox could be trying to do a backloaded contract with Perez or even Clement.

This is interesting to me... In baseball where contracts are guaranteed, deals are almost always backloaded. In football where contracts can be voided essentially at will, deals are almost always heavily frontloaded.

Yeah, let me know if you can fully understand football contracts and the salary cap because there is a 500 K job waiting for you if you can. Football teams are never really cash poor due to tv, etc. I think it's really dumb and shortsighted for the Mariners to backload the deal because he's virtually unmoveable now. It's not like they are targeting any one-year deal guys either. THey want Delgado who is going to get years. Read a Gammons article in 2007 about the top ten most unmoveable contracts and Richie may be on it.

Yeah, let me know if you can fully understand football contracts and the salary cap because there is a 500 K job waiting for you if you can. Football teams are never really cash poor due to tv, etc. I think it's really dumb and shortsighted for the Mariners to backload the deal because he's virtually unmoveable now. It's not like they are targeting any one-year deal guys either. THey want Delgado who is going to get years. Read a Gammons article in 2007 about the top ten most unmoveable contracts and Richie may be on it.

For the most part I find things "interesting" that are difficult to understand. I certainly don't understand them enough to hold down any paying job. The M's deal is largely to try and keep them under budget this season. I believe that they were operating with abour $24 to 30M(depending on who you beleive) to buy free agents this winter.. This means they are probably going to be a big player in the Beltre derby, along with looking to add another SP (Clement Perez Lowe Millwood)

For the most part I find things "interesting" that are difficult to understand.  I certainly don't understand them enough to hold down any paying job.  The M's deal is largely to try and keep them under budget this season.  I believe that they were operating with abour $24 to 30M(depending on who you beleive) to buy free agents this winter.. This means they are probably going to be a big player in the Beltre derby, along with looking to add another SP (Clement Perez Lowe Millwood)

I believe they already offered Beltre $62 million over 5 years from a report from a few days ago. The Tiggies are also very interested, by most likely, he'll stay with the Dodgers, since it looks like they'll miss out on Hudson now and possibly Clement.

Personally I could give two s***s if Frank is back after this year. If he plays lousy this season in his rebound year then I figure the Sox will do what they can to move him.

In this day and age with high salaries its nearly impossible to keep a guy around his entire career, unless he plays at a high level throughout it.

We'll see what Thomas does this year. But regardless it would be awesome to have him in a Sox uni his entire career, but at the same time, whatever makes the team better I support.

If I remember correctly, the Sox still have the option to buy Thomas out if he invokes his player option but the Sox do not want him back.

I think Frank has the first option. He can take it and the Sox are bound. If he passes, the Sox can either implement their option or pay the buyout.

Anyone else think this new big offer to Clement is KW trying to get AZ to lower its RJ price?

Arizona will still be asking somewhere near the same price for a while...IMO. they still have until july trade deadline to get rid of him....though i think he will be traded sometime in the offseason...arizona still has the option of waiting until july...when a team desperately would need his services. But if Arizona desperately wants to get rid of him now....then i see where the Diamondbacks would take less for him..

Couldn't disagree with you more.  When there is a buzz about a team, it usually reflects in Ws and Ws usually mean more $.

If we are already the favorites in the division, Randy would almost guarntee an AL Central title.

Although attendance was down last year at the BOB, look at the numbers on days where Randy was starting, its histarical.  He was the ONLY draw last year and they still did ok. 

The Sox would not fold with Randy Johnson.

EDIT: With Johnson comes instant credibility.

I wouldn't call us the favorites right now, not even if we added Johnson and gave up 4 players in the process. I won't argue attendance at the Cell if he came, I have learned that there is no pattern.

Arizona will still be asking somewhere near the same price for a while...IMO.  they still have until july trade deadline to get rid of him....though i think he will be traded sometime in the offseason...arizona still has the option of waiting until july...when a team desperately would need his services.  But if Arizona desperately wants to get rid of him now....then i see where the Diamondbacks would take less for him..

Good point, AZ is in a win/win situation... either they trade him now for their high price, or wait until midseason, and either they're contenders and he's willing to stay, or the Red Sox and Yankees will war over him with lots of $$$$. (Obviously there's a risk of him getting hurt, but he was strong last year and AZ will probably take the risk)

No. I think it's KW trying to get a top SP before they're all gone

IMO the sox already have there best pitcher, his name is freddy garcia.... they traded two very young and talented players away for him, not to mention Morse.

No more selling the farm! I understand prospects are just that... but the reason were in a position to contend (For Divisions) in the first place is the contributions homemade products like Frank, Mark B, Carlos, Maggs, and Rowand have made.