Leave me alone... or my mom will beat you up!!!

Steff

Videotape Released Of Mom Attacking Student On School Bus

38-Year-Old Woman Arrested, Charged

POSTED: 7:54 am EST December 15, 2004

UPDATED: 10:39 am EST December 15, 2004

Investigators released school bus surveillance video Tuesday of a 38-year-old mother arrested and charged for attacking a Lake County, Fla., student on the bus.

Police said Rita Gooden (pictured, right) entered a bus out of Oak Park Middle School in October after her 12-year-old daughter and another girl got into a fight with another student.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO: Mom Videotaped Attacking Student

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to a police report, Gooden's daughter and the other girls screamed racial slurs at each other before the altercation.

The bus driver then reportedly asked her to break up the fight. Instead, Gooden was videotaped hitting the teen.

Video

Camera Catches Mom Attacking Student

Gooden was arrested on a charge of felony attempted murder but the charge was reduced to simple battery.

"There was no great bodily harm and no serious bodily injury and nothing that would warrant filing of lets say an aggravated battery of a felony battery," State Attorney Bill Gladson said. "So this is the appropriate charge."

"There was nothing simple about it, she tried to kill my child and that's what she should be charged with," child's mother Paula Ross told Local 6 News.

Gooden's sentencing hearing is scheduled for Jan 6.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

http://www.local6.com/news/3998394/detail.html

Surprised police aren't filing any charges related to the racially motivated slurs.

This incident leads me to reflect back on the dysfunctional afternoons riding home on the school bus. Jumping over bus seats, forcing the younger kids to sit at the front, throwing papers out the window, giving substitute drivers wrong directions to skip stops of certain people

Perhaps POTUSChris can recall days spent on good ol' Bus #6. :D

Our neighbor is a bus driver and she had a situation a few years where a parent tried to get on the bus to scream at a kid. Bus driver said when this happens, the rule is to shut the door and have all the kids duck.

This bus driver could of prevented this from happening.

Surprised police aren't filing any charges related the racially motivated slurs.

Well, it looks as though the mother doing the attacking is black. Blacks can't be charged with hate crimes. I guess it really is impossible for blacks to be racist..... at least in the eyes of the Criminal Justice System. If the mother was white and used racial slurs, she probably would have been charged with a hate crime and, if she wasn't, you could probably count on Jesse and Al picketing until charges were filed.