average outfield stats for last year

soxfan420

AL avg LF -- .281/.347/.453 -- Podsednik would be lucky to even approach average

AL avg CF -- .281/.338/.437 -- Rowand is much better than average, but could regress

AL avg RF -- .276/.344/.440 -- Dye should be about average.

That looks like an average OF at best.

i was lookingat the deffense but offense is ok too.

AL avg LF -- .281/.347/.453 -- Podsednik would be lucky to even approach average

AL avg CF -- .281/.338/.437 -- Rowand is much better than average, but could regress

offense wins you fans

Defense wins you titles...

offense  wins you fans

Defense wins you titles...

Does it really?

Let's look at the Red Sox.

Two very poor fielders in Bellhorn and Manny.

One average fielder in Millar.

Then, average to above average fielders in Cabrera, Mueller, Damon, and Nixon.

IMHO, too much is made about defense. You pitch well and you hit well, then you'll be alright... The reason we haven't won the division the past couple years is because we've never had the right combo of both at the same time.

Does it really?

Let's look at the Red Sox.

Two very poor fielders in Bellhorn and Manny.

One average fielder in Millar.

Then, average to above average fielders in Cabrera, Mueller, Damon, and Nixon.

IMHO, too much is made about defense.  You pitch well and you hit well, then you'll be alright...  The reason we haven't won the division the past couple years is because we've never had the right combo of both at the same time.

Manny played left and made a FEW big mistakes in the playoffs and Bellhorn played second.

the rest of their defense was good.

the nice thing about having a defense is that 99.9% of the time it is going to show up. an offense can get shutdown any day of the week, but a defense will make the plays every day.

Can you figure it out if Dye is in LF, Podsednik in CF, and Rowand in RF? I would like to know that. I am not sure if they are planning to do it the way you specified or not, but I like it better this way. Plus I have heard them comparing Podsednik and his arm to Lance Johnson's. I would much rather see the better arms in the corners.

Can you figure it out if Dye is in LF, Podsednik in CF, and Rowand in RF? I would like to know that. I am not sure if they are planning to do it the way you specified or not, but I like it better this way. Plus I have heard them comparing Podsednik and his arm to Lance Johnson's. I would much rather see the better arms in the corners.

That's like moving deck chairs on the titanic, either way the ship is going down.

And like Willie said, you put your best defensive player in CF, the best arm you have in RF, and whatever warm body you have left in LF.

I'm not conviced the whole sox team is going down, currently as they are, they'd be toast.  But there's still time for kenny to make moves.  Anyway you slice it though, we have a average at best outfield.

You know the stats way better than I do.

I like the outfield as it stands.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind when I actually see it in action. :lol:

You should put the s***tiest arm in LF.  Dye's arm is not s***ty, therefore he goes to right.

This is why Carlos played LF. :)

Ok, I was unaware Dye had a great arm. I have seen Rowand a few times last year and it looked pretty good, that is why I had him moving to right. I am fine with Pods in left as it should have less wear and tear on his body and he will be able to steal more bases if that is the case.

I like how we shape up defensively. They should really help out our pitching staff as far as ERA and staying away from the big inning. Crede is good (great at times) with the glove, Uribe is servicable at SS, Harris has a very good glove, and Konerko can pick (he just can't run). Typically, our pitchers can field their position as well.

On offense, quite simply, we will be weak. I believe Pods will struggle to get on base. When he is on, he will kick ass. Rowand should hit well, and will likely be our most consistent hitter. Konerko should be streaky as usual, but will be our power stud. Dye will put up decent numbers, nothing All-Star like. I don't see how it's reasonable to assume Thomas will be MVP-like because he hasn't swung a bat or seen pitching for a year. Everett blows, and he's fat. I hope Uribe can avoid a sophomore slump because he can be a huge spark plug in this line up. Crede should improve his average and keep his power numbers. Ben Davis/Jamie Burke will hit .250 combined. Finally, I expect Willie to hit better and get on-base more often. Pods and Rock should be excellent mentors for him on the basepaths.