Just a little note

witesoxfan

If we're done because we got shutout by the Royals(by a pitcher who does have good stuff), then so are the Red Sox when their bullpen imploded against the DRays.

Not sure if this has been posted....but I figured I'd point it out. Something tells me that all of Red Sox nation has (not) given up already.

They got beat by a worse team than we did....big f***ing deal. They're all major league teams and every year will beat every other team....unless it's interleague. During interleague....we may sweep the Dodgers(let's hope so)....and in that case....they won't beat us. Odds are....we will lose to every team we play. This one just happened to be us getting shutout by the Royals on opening day. Had this happened in June....we would has said "No big deal." But because it was opening day....we are pissed.

Let's just rock the s*** out of the ball for the next 2 months or so....and then for the last 2 months(being September and October)....and put up 6 runs per from June till August. If we do that....we're good as gold.

Anybody whining about how the season is over after one friggin game needs to be taken outside and shot(that's just a joke, please don't reply with any PC crap about how I shouldn't be asking for people to be shot). I believe the Sox won their opener the last two years, and that sure wasn't a harbinger of good things to come. You know what team currently holds the longest opening day victory streak with 4? The Devil Rays. Think anyone in Tampa is getting ready for the playoffs? Relax all you Chicken Littles, the Sox will be just fine.

Agreed. If we blow ten in a row and look that lethagic, then we have something to b**** about. I would like to add something on the lead post from Chisoxfan, regarding the Boston- Tampa game: It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Boston had 3 or 4 run lead after 7 with Pedro on the mound, and he was dominating. So naturally they take him out, put in Embree, and he comes apart like a 29 cent mop. They leave Pedro in, they win. These lame brain managers all fall into the same pattern. Gotta take him out after 7. When Randy Johnson was with Seattle that happened several times to him in one season (1994, I think), and he got in Lou Piniella's face and insisted on finishing games if he was ahead. He also went right to the press. That Boston game was lost by the manager, end of story.

Agreed.  If we blow ten in a row and look that lethagic, then we have something to b**** about.  I would like to add something on the lead post from Chisoxfan, regarding the Boston- Tampa game:  It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.  Boston had 3 or 4 run lead after 7 with Pedro on the mound, and he  was dominating.  So naturally they take him out, put in Embree, and he comes apart like a 29 cent mop.  They leave Pedro in, they win.  These lame brain managers all fall into the same pattern.  Gotta take him out after 7.  When Randy Johnson was with Seattle that happened several times to him in one season (1994, I think), and he got in Lou Piniella's face and insisted on finishing games if he was ahead.  He also went right to the press.  That Boston game was lost by the manager, end of story.

With you 100% on that one Jim. Another one of my favorites is when a reliever enters the game say halfway through the seventh, gets an easy out or 2, then mows them down in the 8th on 12 pitches. The closer comes in for the 9th, and promptly blows the lead. Why they don't just leave the other guy in constantly baffles me.

Agreed.  If we blow ten in a row and look that lethagic, then we have something to b**** about.  I would like to add something on the lead post from Chisoxfan, regarding the Boston- Tampa game:  It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.  Boston had 3 or 4 run lead after 7 with Pedro on the mound, and he  was dominating.  So naturally they take him out, put in Embree, and he comes apart like a 29 cent mop.  They leave Pedro in, they win.  These lame brain managers all fall into the same pattern.  Gotta take him out after 7.  When Randy Johnson was with Seattle that happened several times to him in one season (1994, I think), and he got in Lou Piniella's face and insisted on finishing games if he was ahead.  He also went right to the press.  That Boston game was lost by the manager, end of story.

With you 100% on that one Jim. Another one of my favorites is when a reliever enters the game say halfway through the seventh, gets an easy out or 2, then mows them down in the 8th on 12 pitches. The closer comes in for the 9th, and promptly blows the lead. Why they don't just leave the other guy in constantly baffles me.

Well, in today's game, closers get paid millions of dollars to come in for the 9th to close out the game (hence the name "closer"). Now that that's the way the game is, you will continue to see starters and relievers being taken out for the 9th, and occasionally you will see the closer blow it (even the best blow a game or 2 a season). Good, bad, or indifferent, that's the way it is.

Yeah, I guess baffled wasn't the correct word to use there.  I realize that when you give a lot of money to a "closer,"  you better get every penny's worth out of him.

Yep, I suppose so.

I actually don't like the term "closer", and think it's very overrated. I think that the main objective should be winning the game by whatever means necessary, and not "we've got to get ____ (enter closer's name) a save -- we're paying him $6M a year!".

Don't misunderstand what I said....I think that having a solid bullpen is ESSENTIAL for a team to be successful, but if a pitcher (be it a starter or middle reliever) is bringing it and it's the 9th inning, why take him out? It doesn't make sense (unless he's on a strict pitch count or something), IMO.

With Perdo arms problems the past couple of years, I'm sure they are trying to be extra careful with him. You have pitchers in the 'pen just for that purpose. I can see the BoSox doing exactly what they did. It makes sense to me. As for closers, I think the position is overrated. Too many saves are set up by the closer beginning the ninth inning and not losing the lead. That's a save??? Shouldn't be. He came in with runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out and a one run lead, then gets out of it... now that's a save.

If we're done because we got shutout by the Royals(by a pitcher who does have good stuff), then so are the Red Sox when their bullpen imploded against the DRays.

Not sure if this has been posted....but I figured I'd point it out.  Something tells me that all of Red Sox nation has (not) given up already. 

They got beat by a worse team than we did....big f***ing deal.  They're all major league teams and every year will beat every other team....unless it's interleague.  During interleague....we may sweep the Dodgers(let's hope so)....and in that case....they won't beat us.  Odds are....we will lose to every team we play.  This one just happened to be us getting shutout by the Royals on opening day.  Had this happened in June....we would has said "No big deal." But because it was opening day....we are pissed. 

Let's just rock the s*** out of the ball for the next 2 months or so....and then for the last 2 months(being September and October)....and put up 6 runs per from June till August.  If we do that....we're good as gold.

most red sox fans ive talked to arnt to excited about this season...feel they are a little weaker than in years past..

You know what team currently holds the longest opening day victory streak with 4?  The Devil Rays.  Think anyone in Tampa is getting ready for the playoffs?

Hu..? Tampa isn't WS ready? No way? Really..?? :o ;) :D

You know what team currently holds the longest opening day victory streak with 4?  The Devil Rays.  Think anyone in Tampa is getting ready for the playoffs?

Hu..? Tampa isn't WS ready? No way? Really..?? :o ;) :D

The Buccaneers have a better chance of getting to the WS than the DRays. Booger McFarland throws a nasty forkball.

Not sure if this has been posted....but I figured I'd point it out.  Something tells me that all of Red Sox nation has (not) given up already.  

They got beat by a worse team than we did....big f***ing deal.  They're all major league teams and every year will beat every other team....unless it's interleague.  During interleague....we may sweep the Dodgers(let's hope so)....and in that case....they won't beat us.  Odds are....we will lose to every team we play.  This one just happened to be us getting shutout by the Royals on opening day.  Had this happened in June....we would has said "No big deal." But because it was opening day....we are pissed.  

Let's just rock the s*** out of the ball for the next 2 months or so....and then for the last 2 months(being September and October)....and put up 6 runs per from June till August.  If we do that....we're good as gold.

most red sox fans ive talked to arnt to excited about this season...feel they are a little weaker than in years past..

I wouldn't have guessed that myself.