WSCR reports on Clement

ManSooLee

I have a very reliable source, who says the Sox #1 pitching target IS Hudson. They want him more than RJ. This same source also said that the initial contact between the Sox and Clement was made by Clement.

Allen, without having a reliable source (such as yourself -- and I'm not mocking you either), that's what I'd think.

If I'm the Sox, and hearing about what 'Zona wants for RJ, why not go the extra step (or, it might possibly be a couple less steps, I think Beane is more realistic in what he's asking for for Hudson than Zona's GM is with Unit) and get Huddy, give him an extension, and have a 1, 2, and 3 that no one (outside of the Cubs with Prior, Wood, and Zambrano) could touch with Hudson, Buehrle, and Garcia.

I also believe that the Score is dead wrong on this offer. I believe the offer on the table is in the area of three years, 24-27 million, but not exceeding 27 million. JMHO... Wanted to add, too, that I think even if our offer is reasonable in Clement's opinion (eight million per), that he'll choose to stay in Chicago, except on the other side of town (our side :headbang ).

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes quite the conundrum, it's like the winter 1997 all over again. After being the runner up in the central for 3 straight yrs the Sox are looking to aquire a pitcher to put us over the hump, sound familiar?

In '97 the choices were:

An aging multi-CYA winner who's career was winding down - Clemens

A young up and coming CYA winner in his walk yr - Pedro

And a 30ish Cub pitcher who had put up good stats there in the previous 2 yrs but not alot of wins - Navarro

Of course the aging multi-CYA winner was not washed up and would go on to win multiple CYA's.

The young up and coming CYA winner would go on to win multiple CYA's while dominating the league(and maybe his era).

And the 30ish Cub pitcher would...........................................come to the Sox.

In '04 the choices are:

An aging multi-CYA winner who's career is winding down - Johnson.

A young up and coming CYA winner in his walk yr - Hudson.

And a 30ish Cub pitcher who has put up good stats there in the previous 2 yrs but not alot of wins - Clement.

Do you ever get the feeling that if you got an opportunity to do a "do over" in life that you'd make better choices or are you resigned to the fact that history repeats itself. Such is life being Sox fans.

Post of the year. I hadn't thought of it that way. Awesome. See folks, this is the power of persuasion. I don't think the Sox should sign Clement any more.

We should throw 7 at him and hope the convenience of not moving to either coast is worth 3 million dollars....per year.  :)

Yeah, so when he rejects the offer then KW and JR can get on TV all glum and consoling each other and we can listen to them whine about how they "tried" and how "it was a fair offer".

I want a pitcher, but clement is no where near a 10 million dollar pitcher.

Maybe not today, but if he can be a $14 mil pitcher in year 3, it's ok. Some of this is always projections. Who do you think will win more games in 2007? RJ or MC?

Yeah, so when he rejects the offer then KW and JR can get on TV all glum and consoling each other and we can listen to them whine about how they "tried" and how "it was a fair offer".

Exactly what I was thinking. I think that have that dog and pony show taped and just mail it in.

No matter what FA you sign, you over paid. The winner in any auction paid the most and hopefully the projection works out.

upnorthsox, excellent post. I notice that in these matters the guys that have been through a Sox build to tear down cycle are a bit more temperate in their views. Great analysis.

Maybe not today, but if he can be a $14 mil pitcher in year 3, it's ok. Some of this is always projections. Who do you think will win more games in 2007? RJ or MC?

Wondering who will be our ace in 2007 doesn't win us any games in 2005. Let's for once put it all together for one year and not worry about 2007. We haven't won since 1917.

I just don't see it fellas.  We don't sign FA pitchers, especially for $10M per year.  I have heard 0 reports.  Until I hear we have him, I can't believe it.  The Sox don't spend $ on FA.  They look for what's a 'servicable" substitute, like Jermaine Dye. 

I smell BS.

...then we must be the world's best at dishing out BS, because our name comes up as 'seriously interested' in every top FA.

Yes quite the conundrum, it's like the winter 1997 all over again. After being the runner up in the central for 3 straight yrs the Sox are looking to aquire a pitcher to put us over the hump, sound familiar?

In '97 the choices were:

An aging multi-CYA winner who's career was winding down - Clemens

A young up and coming CYA winner in his walk yr - Pedro

And a 30ish Cub pitcher who had put up good stats there in the previous 2 yrs but not alot of wins - Navarro

Of course the aging multi-CYA winner was not washed up and would go on to win multiple CYA's.

The young up and coming CYA winner would go on to win multiple CYA's while dominating the league(and maybe his era).

And the 30ish Cub pitcher would...........................................come to the Sox.

In '04 the choices are:

An aging multi-CYA winner who's career is winding down - Johnson.

A young up and coming CYA winner in his walk yr - Hudson.

And a 30ish Cub pitcher who has put up good stats there in the previous 2 yrs but not alot of wins - Clement.

Do you ever get the feeling that if you got an opportunity to do a "do over" in life that you'd make better choices or are you resigned to the fact that history repeats itself. Such is life being Sox fans.

Quote of the Offseason...hard to top that one.

NO TO CLEMENT!!!

:notworthy

I want a pitcher, but clement is no where near a 10 million dollar pitcher.

9-13 last season does NOT equate to that type of contract. You would think Kenny would be spending Jerry's money more wisely than that and I bet he is. So this is just some rumor reported by the radio.