Sox ink Uribe to multiyear deal

YASNY

The Sox avoided arbitration with shortstop Juan Uribe, reaching a three-year, $9.75 million deal, sources said. Uribe will make $2.15 million next season, $3.15 million in 2006 and $4.15 million in 2007. The team has a $5 million option for 2008 with a buyout of $300,000.

This came out from the Podsednik article in the Sun Times.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was a .283 hitter you might be right although that'd still be alot of money even for a 1st yr .283 hitting arb guy.

This is a bargain for a .283, 23 homer, 74 rbi guy who has the potential to be a gold glover at the most important defensive position in the game. I loved watching Juan play last year and I'm happy he'll be around for atleast the next 3 years.

This is a bargain for a .283, 23 homer, 74 rbi guy who has the potential to be a gold glover at the most important defensive position in the game.  I loved watching Juan play last year and I'm happy he'll be around for atleast the next 3 years.

Really. This signing is a no brainer. I don't see how anyone can question it.

Unless ESPN is wrong, he hit .283 last year.

.....And he hit .253 the yr before that.

Like I said, I like Juan and I don't have a prob with us signing him but the $$$ are based on a big statistical jump which can be problematic if he reverts back.

After a similar statistical jump in '99 Pokey Reese signed about the same contract we just gave Juan, after signing that contract there were definite regrets.

So since ARow is a .310 hitter and also a 1st yr arb guy we should be expecting that steal of a $3.5 mil deal, right?

I love the deal. I love the cost certianty, and I love the fact that it is longish term and has a buyout.

KWs strategy of trying to get these guys locked up early is a damned good one. We might over pay once in a while if a guy turns out to be a fluke, but that has got to be outwieghed by the one guy who ends up as a way underpaid superstar.