A.J. Pierzynski

AddisonStSox

Like you said, if we don't happen to land Pierzynski, I don't think it will be the end of the world, but I'd definitely go after the guy most of us wanted at the beginning of this offseason, Placido Polanco. I still think it would be a good idea bringing Polanco in, playing him at second base against lefties (with Crede starting at third), and playing him at third against righties (with Harris at second -- all of this, of course, if Polanco was 'down' with the idea).

It would make our lineup a lot better at the top. It'd give us another option if Pods stumbled, too...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you said, if we don't happen to land Pierzynski, I don't think it will be the end of the world, but I'd definitely go after the guy most of us wanted at the beginning of this offseason, Placido Polanco.  I still think it would be a good idea bringing Polanco in, playing him at second base against lefties (with Crede starting at third), and playing him at third against righties (with Harris at second -- all of this, of course, if Polanco was 'down' with the idea).

It would make our lineup a lot better at the top.  It'd give us another option if Pods stumbled, too...

Polanco will be on the Cardinals..guaranteed. They have openings at 2b and SS, and I've seen nothing to suggest we're going after him. The only options I hear we may go after are Miguel Cairo or Alex Cora.

Polanco will be on the Cardinals..guaranteed.  They have openings at 2b and SS, and I've seen nothing to suggest we're going after him.  The only options I hear we may go after are Miguel Cairo or Alex Cora.

Jesus H Tapdancin' Christ bring me my fifth starter.

Screw Polanco and Pierzynski, as of now, Kenny hasn't even locked up a pitcher.

Sorry for the venting, but I'm praying for Kenny's sake that he gets that pitcher in before making any other moves.

Pierzynski and Polanco are just cherries on top. We need our ice cream first and as of right now, that ice cream is Jason Grilli.

:puke or :crying ---->I don't know which to do.

I'm convinced that KW came up with the term grinder so he could sign cheap players and not get bashed by Sox fans for it. Tell me any grinder that makes more than 3 or 4 million a year? None...they're called talented players. I hope KW doesn't consider someone like Everett a grinder. He's a terrible defensive player that is injury prone...not exactly a grinder in my mind.

I'm convinced that KW came up with the term grinder so he could sign cheap players and not get bashed by Sox fans for it.  Tell me any grinder that makes more than 3 or 4 million a year?  None...they're called talented players.  I hope KW doesn't consider someone like Everett a grinder.  He's a terrible defensive player that is injury prone...not exactly a grinder in my mind.

I'll tell ya what...

If Kenny fails to get his big-name pitcher this off-season, I'm on board with that 100%. Granted the guy has his hands tied, but c'mon, how many more Loaizas are you going to get before you hit a Schoenweis? He hit the jackpot on some of these low-risk, high-reward players and now thats all he wants. Well, it ain't that simple, if it was, anyone could grab someone off the scrap heap and make them a all-star. You are going to have to pay for talent eventually and although he has showed he was willing to do that, more times than not, he's feeding off the dumpster in Toronto or Montreal or the like.

from what I have read and heard -- he was not that well liked in MN and was a definite problem in SF -- hence their signing of Matheny.

The signing a matheny has more to do with Sabean's love for old declining players.

See Grissom,

Vizquel

Tucker

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if I read this a rotoworld one day.

The San Francisco Giants are reportedly close to a deal with free agent utility man Methuselah, who as a type A free agent would cost the Giants their top draft pick.Our take: At the ripe age of 237, methuselah still is in his prime.  He's should produce at a good level for at least the next three centuries.  Look for the Giants to offer him a looooong term deal

I'll tell ya what...

If Kenny fails to get his big-name pitcher this off-season, I'm on board with that 100%.  Granted the guy has his hands tied, but c'mon, how many more Loaizas are you going to get before you hit a Schoenweis?  He hit the jackpot on some of these low-risk, high-reward players and now thats all he wants.  Well, it ain't that simple, if it was, anyone could grab someone off the scrap heap and make them a all-star.  You are going to have to pay for talent eventually and although he has showed he was willing to do that, more times than not, he's feeding off the dumpster in Toronto or Montreal or the like.

What was wrong with the Schoenwies signing?

Everyone bashes it, but I don't see the big deal. He was our best pitcher for the first three months of the season, and then he got bitten with the injury bug. It didn't cost us a fortune. Outside of his b****ing about not being in the bullpen, Schoeney was a fine addition for this team...

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if this has been brought up before, but a few thoughts:

*the sox can check w/ Dustin Hermanson and get the scoop on what was wrong in SF. AJ probably caught Hermy so he'd know what was up

*If AJ's "playing cards before a game" rubbed people the wrong way, didn't he have other people playing cards w/ him?! Was he playing solitaire?! Are the other card players "clubhouse cancers" as well?

AJ always seemed to play well defensively vs the Sox. And has very solid offensive numbers. If he'd be a decent fit personality wise, the sox should probably get him. Maybe in the NL a team can take an easy out in the C's spot, but not in the AL.

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if this has been brought up before, but a few thoughts:

*the sox can check w/ Dustin Hermanson and get the scoop on what was wrong in SF. AJ probably caught Hermy so he'd know what was up

*If AJ's "playing cards before a game" rubbed people the wrong way, didn't he have other people playing cards w/ him?! Was he playing solitaire?! Are the other card players "clubhouse cancers" as well?

AJ always seemed to play well defensively vs the Sox. And has very solid offensive numbers. If he'd be a decent fit personality wise, the sox should probably get him. Maybe in the NL a team can take an easy out in the C's spot, but not in the AL.

Couldn't agree more with you. We already have too many question mark hitters on this team. We can't afford another one at catcher.

Couldn't agree more with you.  We already have too many question mark hitters on this team.  We can't afford another one at catcher.

FWIW-I don't know if this was on another thread, but Buehrle was on the radio Thurs, and was asked about AJ. He sounded very diplomatic, toeing the company line, ie, 'some people had problems w/ him, but if he can help us win fine' etc. Like he was asked about him by mgmt. He was guarded about AJ, when he was more open about other questions and topics. Seemed a little strange

My question is: do any other teams have intertest in him? Do the White Sox even have interest or is it just pure speculation?

I heard on Chi. radio that the sox were looking into AJ, going so far as asking him about the reports he doesn't prepare for games, etc.

My guess is he'd want to go back to the AL where he knows the hitters. I'm not sure who else in the AL would be looking for a C. I know LA is mentioned in the NL

I heard on Chi. radio that the sox were looking into AJ, going so far as asking him about the reports he doesn't prepare for games, etc.

My guess is he'd want to go back to the AL where he knows the hitters. I'm not sure who else in the AL would be looking for a C. I know LA is mentioned in the NL

Kansas City just traded Santiago to Pittsburg. They also got Eli Morerro from the Braves, but I don't know what their plans are for using him yet.

From the Boston Herald:

"The Sox are continuing to have civil, daily dialogue with agent Scott Boras about free agent catcher Jason Varitek [stats, news], but continue to make little progress. Varitek must accept or reject arbitration by Sunday. If he rejects it, the sides will only be permitted to negotiate until Jan. 8. . . .

A report out of Minnesota that the Sox had shown interest in former All-Star catcher A.J. Pierzynski appears to be premature. As long as they continue to have a shot at re-signing Varitek, the Sox will keep their distance from Pierzynski out of respect for the incumbent.

Pierzynski, who batted .272 with 11 homers and 77 RBI in 131 games last season, was put on waivers by the San Francisco Giants earlier this week after Mike Matheny was signed to a three-year contract. The 27-year-old, who was acquired from the Twins on Nov. 14, 2003, made few friends in San Francisco.

Pierzynski was paid $3.5 million in 2004 and is eligible for arbitration. If he clears waivers, however, he'll lose that right when he signs with a new team. . . ."

Interesting. A team can pick him off waivers, but would have to be prepared to probably pay him more than $3.5 mill. in arb. But if he clears waivers, he'd be free to sign w/ any team, at a lower price.

Would the sox claim him off waivers [or any other team] knowing he'd make at least $3.5 mill? Or wait and try to sign him as a FA? From the sounds of it, the sox have tried to talk with him, prob. to gauge his interest in joining the sox and clear up any questions.