Another reason to get pissed off

Rex Kickass

There's unbelievable stuff going on like this everywhere - in the name of national security. I feel much safe now knowing there is no longer an evil Iranian couple hell bent on... on... protecting people from occupational and environmental hazards...?

A professor at my former grad school just spent 3 months fighting INS over their attempts to deport him for national security reasons. The guy is a white Anglo Australian coral reef biologist for crying out loud. It appears his frequent flights and several week stayovers in places like Indonesia and the Philippines etc. looked suspicious to someone. Fair enough, but when he politely pointed out that's WHERE THE #%$&^@! CORAL REEFS ARE, documenting the research he was doing, who he was staying with etc., you'd think that rational thought would kick in. Nosirree, INS forced the college to can him and forced him to pay back 6 months of salary that they say he may have illegally received, made him leave his new home, his wife and 2 kids, and fly back to Australia while the lawyers sorted it out.

Long story short, he's finally back to work stateside, but only at great expense and not before his life was turned upside-down for 3 months. His classes were cancelled and his graduate students just kind of floundered for the semester hoping they'd let him back in.

But I feel much safer knowing that, had he been an EVIL TERRORIST CORAL REEF BIOLOGIST (and not one of the OK ones), his ass would have been soooo busted. :angry:

There's unbelievable stuff going on like this everywhere - in the name of national security.  I feel much safe now knowing there is no longer an evil Iranian couple hell bent on... on... protecting people from occupational and environmental hazards...?

A professor at my former grad school just spent 3 months fighting INS over their attempts to deport him for national security reasons.  The guy is a white Anglo Australian coral reef biologist for crying out loud.  It appears his frequent flights and several week stayovers in places like Indonesia and the Philippines etc. looked suspicious to someone.  Fair enough, but when he politely pointed out that's WHERE THE #%$&^@! CORAL REEFS ARE, documenting the research he was doing, who he was staying with etc., you'd think that rational thought would kick in.  Nosirree, INS forced the college to can him and forced him to pay back 6 months of salary that they say he may have illegally received, made him leave his new home, his wife and 2 kids, and fly back to Australia while the lawyers sorted it out.

Long story short, he's finally back to work stateside, but only at great expense and not before his life was turned upside-down for 3 months.  His classes were cancelled and his graduate students just kind of floundered for the semester hoping they'd let him back in.

But I feel much safer knowing that, had he been an EVIL TERRORIST CORAL REEF BIOLOGIST (and not one of the OK ones), his ass would have been soooo busted.  :angry:

uhmm are you saying a mistake may have been made?I to have an uncle. Cunning terrorists, first they disguise themselves as pilots, now mild mannered coral reef biologists. But wait, you are hanging out with a known terrorist and now coming to his defense. Hmmmm, what do we really know about FlaSoxxJim?

Tex, you have a point. Perhaps my Gulfstream and I should pick him up and go for a little "ride." Maybe Egypt?

Yeah, that was some of Gonzalez' brilliance as well. 'Hmmm, let's see... who's not so hung up on this whole not-torturing-prisoners thing..."

Egypt would be nice though, I think. :D

Jake and Elliot Blues already live there...

Ahhh Elliot the long lost, and little known, Blue's Brother who was left in the orphanage. I heard he went insane and just stared off into the night saying everybody needs somebody to love and he just wanted a little r-e-s-p-e-c-t. They say he had delussions that he was a cowboy on the range and as the riders loped on by him, he heard one call his name

If you wanna to save your soul from hell or ridin' on our range,

Then cowboy change your ways today, or with us you will ride,

Tryin' to catch the devil's herd, across these endless skies

Ahhh Elliot the long lost, and little known, Blue's Brother who was left in the orphanage. I heard he went insane and just stared off into the night saying everybody needs somebody to love and he just wanted a little r-e-s-p-e-c-t.  They say he had delussions that he was a cowboy on the range and as the riders loped on by him, he heard one call his name

If you wanna to save your soul from hell or ridin' on our range,

Then cowboy change your ways today, or with us you will ride,

Tryin' to catch the devil's herd, across these endless skies

Now he goes by one name.............. Tex. :D