Illinois Seeks to Curb Explicit Video Games

chimpy2121

But everyone that sees absolutely no harm in these games is kidding themselves. You cannot tell me that a kid playing these games 4-6 hours per day, which many, many kids do, isn't going to be affected by them. Take the same kid at 10 years old. Scenario one, he plays violent video games 5 hours a day. Scenario two he reads classic books for the same time. Are you really going to tell me the kid would wind up the same no matter how he spends his free time?

Hell if you put it that way it sounds like you have a problem with video games altogether.

Compare a kid that plays Tetris for 5 hours a day to a kid that read classic books for 5 hours a day and you'll get the same results.

How about parents do some damn parenting of their children and regulate rentals themselves?  If it isn't violent movies, or inappropriate content on TV, people are always complaining about trivial bulls***. 

Past generations, including my own, grew up playing ultra-violent video games such as Doom and Mortal Kombat. Only people effected by the violence portrayed in these games are those dumb enough to reinact them in real-life.  Some dumbass in rural Kansas sets his brother on fire because 'Beavis and Butthead did it' is obviously suffering some emotional imbalance.  Unfortunately, its usually the acts of a few which influence nationwide reform.

Feminist Nazi organizations, usually uniting mothers, ruins the lives of others because of their own indiscretions. It won't be long until every violent video game, movie, magazine, book, TV show is blocked because of its "influence" on young children. Governor Blago should worry about the state budget instead of what young children are renting.  Now I understand 5 year old children shouldn't be playing GTA: San Andreas, but a 10 year old is responsible enough to realize a video game is NOT reality.  Tell them not to rent it, and they'll only find other methods of obtaining the game.

I agree, personally that's why I think there should be no age restrictions on what people buy. If a 12 year old wants to buy smokes and Vodka, let him have them!

Seriously, kids are people too. Why do we put these kinds of restrictions on them? And for that matter, why shouldn't they be able to drive and vote too? And go to war! Why do we put these kinds of restrictions on them?

Oh yeah, that's right. We're a society that believes in responsibility. My bad.

Feminist Nazi

Ooops, missed that one the first time around.

Using that term denegrates the deaths of 6 million people in WWII. It also is incredibly demeaning to the women who have fought for equal pay for equal work, voting rights, educational rights, and much more so that women are considered more than property....

That term is disgusting and is completely unrepresentative of the Feminist movement.

I agree, personally that's why I think there should be no age restrictions on what people buy. If a 12 year old wants to buy smokes and Vodka, let him have them!

Seriously, kids are people too. Why do we put these kinds of restrictions on them? And for that matter, why shouldn't they be able to drive and vote too? And go to war! Why do we put these kinds of restrictions on them?

Oh yeah, that's right. We're a society that believes in responsibility. My bad.

Did you just compare playing a video game to driving a 2,000 pound machine or fighting in a war???

:o

If we think that 12 year olds are mentally capable of discerning between fantasy violence as realistic as that displayed in GTA: San Andreas or a movie like Reservoir Dogs, why wouldn't they be mentally capable of driving a car?

I wasn't making comparisons. I was making a point. We believe that minors are, by definition, not the same as adults. As a result we don't treat them the same. They are still allowed the same rights under the constitution as everyone else. But that doesn't mean that they are allowed the same privilege. Nowhere in the Constitution is there an unalienable right to Playstation or Xbox.

If we think that 12 year olds are mentally capable of discerning between fantasy violence as realistic as that displayed in GTA: San Andreas or a movie like Reservoir Dogs, why wouldn't they be mentally capable of driving a car?

I wasn't making comparisons. I was making a point. We believe that minors are, by definition, not the same as adults. As a result we don't treat them the same. They are still allowed the same rights under the constitution as everyone else. But that doesn't mean that they are allowed the same privilege. Nowhere in the Constitution is there an unalienable right to Playstation or Xbox.

12 year olds have been discerning between fantasy violence and reality for a long time. Kids are not as dumb as some of us would like to think.

Have you ever watched Looney Toons? 3 stooges? Tom and Jerry? Generations of people have grown up watching violence on TV.

In all honestly, 12 year olds probably could drive a car given proper instructions. Their physical size might be a resriction though. I remember driving a snowmobile and a 4-wheeler when I was around that age.

I always hear about people that grew up on farms learning to drive a tractor when they were 10.

It amazes me that people compare these games to films. In movies, you oh so rarely cheer for the badguy, and even when you do (Chucky, Freddy, Jason), they are still percieved as "the bad guy". But those films are purposefully silly (aside from the first Nightmare films and the first Friday the 13th films. But nobody really rooted for Henry in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer!

Plus, you are watching movies, seeing certain events unfold infront of you. You have no choice in the decisions made on the screen.

In a video game, it is YOUR choice to beat the prostitue, YOUR choice to kill Kennedy, YOUR choice to steal the cars, YOUR choice to kill in violent ways.

There is a difference between films and video games. I am an avid Horror film fan, though I have drifted away from the ultra-violent. I also despise video games though, so maybe I am off base. But I hate and despise the violence they use, and to me, they are just wrong.

But hey, I don't judge people if they play 'em. As GBH said:

Do what you do, but know why your doing it.

How about parents do some damn parenting of their children and regulate rentals themselves?  If it isn't violent movies, or inappropriate content on TV, people are always complaining about trivial bulls***. 

Past generations, including my own, grew up playing ultra-violent video games such as Doom and Mortal Kombat. Only people effected by the violence portrayed in these games are those dumb enough to reinact them in real-life.  Some dumbass in rural Kansas sets his brother on fire because 'Beavis and Butthead did it' is obviously suffering some emotional imbalance.  Unfortunately, its usually the acts of a few which influence nationwide reform.

Feminist Nazi organizations, usually uniting mothers, ruins the lives of others because of their own indiscretions. It won't be long until every violent video game, movie, magazine, book, TV show is blocked because of its "influence" on young children. Governor Blago should worry about the state budget instead of what young children are renting.  Now I understand 5 year old children shouldn't be playing GTA: San Andreas, but a 10 year old is responsible enough to realize a video game is NOT reality.  Tell them not to rent it, and they'll only find other methods of obtaining the game.

yes all this is is an excuse for bad parenting and a changing culture..and guess what...you're making it a hotter commodity blagoje-b****

If it is good parenting to not allow your child to play these games, shouldn't it be good social responsibility to assure that all kids do not have easy access to these games? Isn't being a good parent also making certain that other kids, those same kids that are on sports teams with your kid, in the same classroom as your kid, do not have easy access to these materials? What good is it if your kid is fine but another kid decides to practice something he learned in a video game on *your* kid's head? What if some kid decides your daughter is going to be his b**** ho and he's going to dominate her like he just did for 14 hours on a video game?

A good parent, and a good citizen, works to make our society better for the everyone, if that isn't possible, then for the majority.