*Official* Clement to Boston

Guest JimH

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's on right now, they just asked him about Orlando Cabrera, not in terms of the Sox but just in general.

Now he (Levine) says Cabrera may have to settle for less years, Cabrera wanted to play for the Cubs, Levine says he'd look great on the south side.

Levine doesn't think the Sosa deal will happen for quite a while, even to the start of the season. He thinks mid to late Jan. before they know if Sosa will still be there, ok fine.

Sox are pushing hard on Matt Clement. Boston and Anaheim are also pushing hard, Levine says that'll make it tough on the Sox.

Levine says the market was initially 3/21M for Clement but now it has gone up to 8.5 or even 9M.

Levine says if they don't get Clement they will "wait for the right pitcher", they're not just gonna throw it at anyone.

Interesting he mentions Cabrera's name on the SouthSide.  It would obviously be a hell of a defensive infield but I wouldn't have much interest in it at all, especially considering the money he's looking for. 

Goodness I hope we get Clement.

Agreed and agreed. Cabrera would be nice, but I'm not concerned with our SS position. I really want to see Clement here.

He is kissing Billy Beane's ass in terms of making good moves this winter.

Levine says the Cubs have 95M committed, at least. They absolutely can't add any big name guys until the Sosa thing is resolved. Ordonez is on the Cubs radar but as a lower priority.

Talking about Pierzynski now.

Levine commenting that KW will personally talk to Pierzynski, see if he gets the right answers. If KW feels ok about it, Levine thinks it might happen. No real new info.

And that's it.

Nothing really new here.

clementt doesnt want to be "the messaih" in boston or anaheim thats why i think he will choose the whitesox since he's a low key guy

He is going to have to carry the load for a while in Boston with Schilling being out for a while and Pedro jumoing ship. not to mention Lowe may be leaving as well.

Nothing to do with Levine, but i just saw this on ESPN.com about the RJ trade:

However, there are reportedly several variations on the trade being considered, including the possibility that a fourth team could be involved.

The only thing I keep thinking when I read this is, Uh oh.

I don't want Clement if he has that attitude.  That's terrible for pressure situations.

I was curious about those quotes by his agent also. I could understand not wanting to go to a place like NY because of media scrutiny and such, but the writer's speculation that he maybe back off on Cleveland because he would maybe be considered their ace, although Sabbathia is a better pitcher, is a huge red flag IMO.

Not sure if Bruce mentioned this in his appearance, but in an earlier update they said Sox are trying to lock up AROW with a similar deal to Uribe's, but no decision either way has been made...

with Clement, I think the longer it goes the worst it is for the White Sox because likely means money is getting pushed up

Not sure if Bruce mentioned this in his appearance, but in an earlier update they said Sox are trying to lock up AROW with a similar deal to Uribe's, but no decision either way has been made...

They told him this was their intention back in October.. glad they are working on it.

I don't want Clement if he has that attitude.  That's terrible for pressure situations.

I think the quotes deals with Clement coming in and replacing Pedro. Any top SP who does go there will be asked to fill in right where Pedro left off. Does Clement have the stuff to be a #2 in Bos? No. Does he have the stuff to be the #3 on the Sox? Yes.

Looking at it realistically, he was the #4 SP for the cubs. Chances are he won't fulfill the Bosox fans expectations of him being a Pedro replacement. Maybe the agent said too much, and voiced some private concerns. But everyone knows how fanatical and unforgiving Boston is. Not as much as NY. But darn close. Any SP who goes there has little room for failure.