*Official* Clement to Boston

Guest JimH

This whole "going nuts on Kenny at SoxFest" thing sounds a bit immature. Don't you guys have anything better to do?

I'm pissed about this too. But 1. There are still other players out there and still time to get them, and 2. I sure ain't gonna throw a hissy fit over something a GM of a major league baseball team did or didn't do.

I understand being passionate, but this is a little overboard. Take a pill.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What???? 4 million was not our offer. Stop making stuff up. An original offer had us at 3 years, 8.5 per. Bruce Levine was just on about an hour ago saying we were in the neighborhood of 3 years, 21 million. Not the so-called 12 million that you said.

Dude, use your powers of logic and reasoning.

I didn't say our offer was $4 million a year for 3 years, I said that was the difference between our offer and the RSox offer (3 years/25 million).

Get it, or do you need more of a breakdown?

I'm not bashing KW as much as I am Sox philosophy and JR.

Can you justify cutting the offer off at 21 rather than 25?  This makes the Lee trade look horrible.

No it really doesn't if you think about it. We can get Odalis and el Duque for MUCH cheaper, and Clement isn't actually a star compared to them.

**WAITS FOR THE, " WERE NEVER GOING TO SIGN PEREZ", response, based on no sources**

I honestly dont think we were as close to getting Clement as many others think. No national source really said we were ever close to the lead. Rather, it was only the Tribune that stated reasons why he possibly would want to stay in Chicago. However, if you noticed, he did choose a team because of location...and it was Boston cause it was close to his hometown. Also, Clement mentioned the chance to win all of his years during his contract. I think the White Sox were hard pressed to convinced Clement we had a better team than Boston or Anaheim.

I think every one needs to settle down. This was the first big-time free agent that we have been on in for a long time and we lost out on him. Well, it sucks, but the bashing over KW for 1 guy is incredible.

Get used to it.

Cheat, most noteably, has insisted the pitchers available during this offseason were unworthy of the contracts that obtained. He's right, but what are we to do? Whine the market is unreasonable and search through the bargain bins?

Next season, IF Johan Santana and Ben Sheets are available, could you imagine Reinsdorf paying either 10 million over 4 years? I'll guarantee both pitchers will garner contracts beginning with this amount. Both are worth the price, but its unlikely we'll outbid other clubs for their services.

This isn't an abberation, just evidence of an emerging pattern.

I'm not bashing KW as much as I am Sox philosophy and JR.

Can you justify cutting the offer off at 21 rather than 25?  This makes the Lee trade look horrible.

1. How do you know they didn't? There were reports that they went to $8.5 million a year which would come out to $25.5 million.

2.How do you know that if the money was the same Clement would choose the White Sox? He has a chance to pitch in a great park that will be sold out every game. With the White Sox, he'll have to pick up tumbleweeds after he gets tatooed in USCF. Really, if you're a pitcher would you rather pitch for a team that has Damon, Ramirez, Renteria, Ortiz, or pitch for a team with Podsednick, Dye, Rowand and Konerko. The Red Sox should get him a lot more runs as would the Angels. I don't think that's a coincidence they were his top 2 choices.

No it really doesn't if you think about it. We can get Odalis and el Duque for MUCH cheaper, and Clement isn't actually a star compared to them.

**WAITS FOR THE, " WERE NEVER GOING TO SIGN PEREZ", response, based on no sources**

you're right, we won't be getting Odalis. Anaheim will be bidding against us once again. What reason is there to think we'll top them this time, especially considering Odalis has already played in Anaheim's backyard.

At this point, I'd be happy w/ Millwood. I don't even see that happening.

This whole "going nuts on Kenny at SoxFest" thing sounds a bit immature.  Don't you guys have anything better to do?

I'm pissed about this too.  But 1. There are still other players out there and still time to get them, and 2. I sure ain't gonna throw a hissy fit over something a GM of a major league baseball team did or didn't do.

I understand being passionate, but this is a little overboard.  Take a pill.

Who the hell is out there that we are gonna be able to outbid for?

f***ITY f*** f*** :headshake

I just logged in and I see that we loose Clement to the f***ing Red Sox. GEEZ...

I can see it now. Hermanson or Grilli as our 5th starter for next season.

The f*** with 2005 if it's going to be that way.

There was a report last night on the espndeportes website that Odalis Perez is interested in joining the Mets and Pedro Martinez.  I haven't heard one thing about the White Sox being interested in Odalis.

Don't worry about the White Sox interest in Perez. It's unlikely they'll sign him. Angels offered a contract similar to Boston, and they can sure as hell be expected to shift the money over to Perez.

There was a report last night on the espndeportes website that Odalis Perez is interested in joining the Mets and Pedro Martinez.  I haven't heard one thing about the White Sox being interested in Odalis.

Mets already have 5 starters, they need bullpen help. All of their starters are high priced guys as well, I doubt they'd move one of they to the bullpen.

Eh, Radar etc. Gotta try. What's done is done.

(Kenny's not quite done, but he doesn't have forever....)

1. How do you know they didn't? There were reports that they went to $8.5 million a year which would come out to $25.5 million.

2.How do you know that if the money was the same Clement would choose the White Sox? He has a chance to pitch in a great park that will be sold out every game. With the White Sox, he'll have to pick up tumbleweeds after he gets tatooed in USCF. Really, if you're a pitcher would you rather pitch for a team that has Damon, Ramirez, Renteria, Ortiz, or pitch for a team with Podsednick, Dye, Rowand and Konerko. The Red Sox should get him a lot more runs as would the Angels. I don't think that's a coincidence they were his top 2 choices.

Again, poor reasoning.

Read the Clement MLB article. "The teams that were still in it were teams that were willing to pay the price," Axelrod said.

That sure as hell sounds like we didn't top the 3 years, 21 million to me.

I agree that Clement still could've chosen the BoSox despite an equivalent offer, but it would've been nice to find out, don't you think?

If you're going to be lowballing guys, don't go trading away Carlos and letting Maggs walk (not going there)

Mets already have 5 starters, they need bullpen help. All of their starters are high priced guys as well, I doubt they'd move one of they to the bullpen.

According to the article, they don't trust Zambrano to stay healthy the entire year, and might look to move him to the bullpen. The Mets seem to be going after every free agent, wouldn't shock me to see Odalis come down to Mets, Angels, and Marlins.

According to the article, they don't trust Zambrano to stay healthy the entire year, and might look to move him to the bullpen.  The Mets seem to be going after every free agent, wouldn't shock me to see Odalis come down to Mets, Angels, and Marlins.

I would not trust zambrano either. I mean he cannot hit the strike zone with a beach ball.

According to the article, they don't trust Zambrano to stay healthy the entire year, and might look to move him to the bullpen.  The Mets seem to be going after every free agent, wouldn't shock me to see Odalis come down to Mets, Angels, and Marlins.

How funny would that be, Kazmir for a reliever! :lol:

Again, poor reasoning.

Read the Clement MLB article.  "The teams that were still in it were teams that were willing to pay the price," Axelrod said.

That sure as hell sounds like we didn't top the 3 years, 21 million to me.

I agree that Clement still could've chosen the BoSox despite an equivalent offer, but it would've been nice to find out, don't you think?

If you're going to be lowballing guys, don't go trading away Carlos and letting Maggs walk (not going there)

Not at the expense of the future of the franchise. You give Clement that money, you are now over budget, and won't be able to add anything else. Counting on Willie Harris and Ben Davis everyday isn't going to win you a division, even with the great 69-75 lifetime Matt Clement.

How do you know that if the money was the same Clement would choose the White Sox? He has a chance to pitch in a great park that will be sold out every game.

With the White Sox, he'll have to pick up tumbleweeds after he gets tatooed in USCF. Really, if you're a pitcher would you rather pitch for a team that has Damon, Ramirez, Renteria, Ortiz, or pitch for a team with Podsednick, Dye, Rowand and Konerko. The Red Sox should get him a lot more runs as would the Angels. I don't think that's a coincidence they were his top 2 choices.

Of course he'd rather choose Boston and Anaheim over the White Sox. Those organizations have shown commitments to winning.

One method of "convincing" a free agent pitcher to choose White Sox as his destination is to overpay........:ph34r:

Well, atleast Shawn Chacon's suitors will be comprised of a few desperate teams.