*Official* Clement to Boston

Guest JimH

According to the article, they don't trust Zambrano to stay healthy the entire year, and might look to move him to the bullpen.  The Mets seem to be going after every free agent, wouldn't shock me to see Odalis come down to Mets, Angels, and Marlins.

First they need to address catcher, and Delgado/Beltran, imo. If they add a pitcher, it will be alower tier guy. They also need drastic help in the pen.

Kenny can do just fine if he gets Perez for what he offered Clement. I've long said I'd just as well have Perez. If he does that, its all good again.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at the expense of the future of the franchise. You give Clement that money, you are now over budget, and won't be able to add anything else. Counting on Willie Harris and Ben Davis everyday isn't going to win you a division, even with the great 69-75 lifetime Matt Clement.

LOL

The future of the franchise, oh my!

We haven't won since 1917 man. We should be going for it all.

You guys can defend JR and the Sox all you want. Personally, I'm not looking forward to the 83-79 (or worse) campaign.

Kenny can do just fine if he gets Perez for what he offered Clement.  I've long said I'd just as well have Perez.  If he does that, its all good again.

Jason, you know this is unlikely.

What, will Anaheim unexpectantly decide their out of the bidding for Perez after losing out on Clement?

Not at the expense of the future of the franchise. You give Clement that money, you are now over budget, and won't be able to add anything else. Counting on Willie Harris and Ben Davis everyday isn't going to win you a division, even with the great 69-75 lifetime Matt Clement.

Furthermore, it has been debated ad nauseam that W-L is a pretty worthless stat

LOL

We haven't won since 1917 man.  We should be going for it all.

You guys can defend JR and the Sox all you want.  Personally, I'm not looking forward to the 83-79 (or worse) campaign.

I'm NOT happy about what KW's doing, but I don't agree w/ that. The very reason we're in this mess is that our minor leagues can't seem to produce one starter with the ability to post a consistent 5.5 era. The future's always important, and we've got to take our farm system more seriously and expect more production there.

Anyway,

I would've liked to have made my entrance under better circumstances. I don't mean to be confrontational with anyone. I just wanted this guy bad for this team.

I felt like he was the piece that would put us in the playoffs. With Freddy, Mark, and Clement 1-2-3, who knows what happens in the playoffs?

Oh well...

To all the optimists, keep it up, b/c I am emotionally cashing out.

Have a good night all.

Jason, you know this is unlikely.

What, will Anaheim unexpectantly decide their out of the bidding for Perez after losing out on Clement?

Don't be too sure. Like I mentioned earlier. I was in my car for a lot of the day. Hectic day at work so I missed most of what was on here and never once heard in the updates any mention of Clement and the ANgels and I've never heard the name Odalis PErez all offseason thus far.

Then again they made no mention of Paul Byrd either. ANgels tend to be under the radar. What the media reports they are after, usually isn't true. Just like the medai speculation that Clement was going to get 27-30 mill. They were well off.

Could they be off on Perez too, possibly. I just have to hope that seattle is done spending and that Cleveland and Toronto just don't really want Perez like they did Clement.

I just wanted this guy bad for this team.

I felt like he was the piece that would put us in the playoffs.  With Freddy, Mark, and Clement 1-2-3, who knows what happens in the playoffs?

You feel the same way that many of us do about RJ. RJ-Garcia-Buerhle in the playoffs crushes all.

How is it sneaking in when everyone realizes he's the last good sp in the fa market?  All eyes are on Odalis now.

Still he is hardly getting any attention.

Turn around tonight offer him 3 years and whatever the hell we offered Clement.

That would take some people by surpise.

LOL

We haven't won since 1917 man.  We should be going for it all.

You guys can defend JR and the Sox all you want.  Personally, I'm not looking forward to the 83-79 (or worse) campaign.

Yea that's right. Boston sells out every game. Their box seats are double the price of White Sox tickets. Anaheim draws over 3 million a year, partly because of the weather advantage they have. Sox fans think almost 2 million is great attendance. They are cheap. They complain they can't buy an upper deck ticket and sit in the boxes. Many only show at half priced night, because they say they can't afford a regularly price ticket, but for some reason they have enough money to by 15 $6 beers and make asses out of themselves. The White Sox can't afford to make a $25 million mistake. It would hamstring the franchise for years. Last time I checked, the season doesn't even start until April. The White Sox will spend that money, they just aren't going to piss it away on a guy who isn't even a .500 pitcher.

You feel the same way that many of us do about RJ.  RJ-Garcia-Buerhle in the playoffs crushes all.

Obviously I like RJ more than Clement.

However, I didn't like the #5 hole that remains by Trading Jon and I didn't want to give Paulie up. I thought a solid SP FA was the answer, but it doesn't look like it will happen.

I don't think there is anyone out there to give us that "sick" rotation. Considering our new-look offense, that is a very bad thing.

I hope any of the foolish posters that state they wouldn't mind Grilli or Schoeneweis also realize who 2 of our other 4 starters are to begin with. Maybe if we had the Cubs top 4 in their rotation, we could risk a number 5 starter who not a lot would be expected from. However, Garland and Contreras are no better than 4 or 5 starters themselves. Every game that Contreras pitches, you never know if he'll make it out of the first inning. And we all know the tribals and tribulations of Jon "Judy" Garland.

On a team with inferior players starting like Willie Harris, Ben Davis, and Joe Crede, this type of rotation will not work. Our offense will not be nearly as good as it was for the first part of last year. Sometimes it really seems that KW has a plan...but it's just ignorant. All these players that he says he has his eye on (Schoeneweis, Hermanson) aren't exactly good major leaguers.

While I'm certainly disappointed in not getting Clement, there's reason to question his health. This is a guy who was really banged up last year with a noticeable drop off in the second half.

The "I love Chicago" story line was bulls***, as usual. It came down to the highest bid.

Sox now need to strike fast IMO and land somebody. Get the catcher, or a 2B. I tend to agree with some other posters that Odallis Perez will stay in So Cal with the Angels.

It's critical they need a solid, established pitcher for the #5 spot ... ready to go on April 1st and not named Grilli or Schoeneweis. The market for a #1-3 guy who could push Contreras and Garland down to #4-5 has or is drying up. Better off to solidy the team by signing an established serviceable veteran, and see what opportunities present themself in June/July, ala Freddy Garcia.

They cannot, and should not, go into the year with a question mark at #5. There are several guys out there who'd fit the bill. Sox need to get that done.

Additionally, if they can't seem to get a #2-3 guy like Clement, then improve the team in other critical areas. Seems to me a good catcher in Pierzynski is out there for them, get that done.

If they were willing to go $7-8M per year on Clement or whatever the # was, you can get three pretty good players for that money.

Who's out there in terms of starting pitching? Orlando Hernandez. Washburn.

The future's always important, and we've got to take our farm system more seriously and expect more production there.

How can they take it seriously?

White Sox dont' have a minor league system because talent is used to acquire players (midseason) ignored in the offseason due to cheapness.

It's an neverending cycle of mediocrity.

Still he is hardly getting any attention.

Turn around tonight offer him 3 years and whatever the hell we offered Clement.

That would take some people by surpise.

s***... I don't know what the f*** KW is thinking about now that Clement is with the Red Sox. If only Kenny would do what you just said then I'll happily eat some crow... otherwise KW can f*** off.

How can they take it seriously?

White Sox dont' have a minor league system because talent is used to acquire players (midseason) ignored in the offseason due to cheapness. 

It's an neverending cycle of mediocrity.

Just for fun...which of the players KW has traded from the minors have actually turned out to be anything? Minus Reed.