*Official* Clement to Boston

Guest JimH

Yea that's right. Boston sells out every game. Their box seats are double the price of White Sox tickets. Anaheim draws over 3 million a year, partly because of the weather advantage they have. Sox fans think almost 2 million is great attendance. They are cheap. They complain they can't buy an upper deck ticket and sit in the boxes. Many only show at half priced night, because they say they can't afford a regularly price ticket, but for some reason they have enough money to by 15 $6 beers and make asses out of themselves. The White Sox can't afford to make a $25 million mistake. It would hamstring the franchise for years. Last time I checked, the season doesn't even start until April. The White Sox will spend that money, they just aren't going to piss it away on a guy who isn't even a .500 pitcher.

You have made a lot of great posts DA, but this is one of your absolute best.

A classic.

Especially the part about complaining about buying a UD ticket and not being able to sit in box seats.

My hat is off to you. :cheers

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still he is hardly getting any attention.

Turn around tonight offer him 3 years and whatever the hell we offered Clement.

That would take some people by surpise.

Not his agent. No way he signs quickly just b/c we seem to be in a rush. It might take his agent by surprise just b/c someone's waking him up, when he knows he'll have a $21 mil/3 yr deal in the morning. If I'm Perez's agent, I'm going to bed early, holding my calls, and having bacon and pancakes instead of cereal tomorrow morning. It's a good night for Odalis.

ugh, this offseason is turning ugly.

I think it could turn out ok. The Sox could sign El Duque, Cairo, and Pierz for the around the same amount of money they would have spent on Clement. But most of you wouldn't be happy with that, so I guess it's still going to be ugly to you.

Furthermore, it has been debated ad nauseam that W-L is a pretty worthless stat

It seems strange then, that the top pitchers always seem to win their fair share of games. It also seems strange then that on your previous response, you mentioned how you weren't looking forward to another 83-79 or worse season, which I believe is reference to the team's W-L record.

I think it could turn out ok.  The Sox could sign El Duque, Cairo, and Pierz for the around the same amount of money they would have spent on Clement.  But most of you wouldn't be happy with that, so I guess it's still going to be ugly to you.

yes we COULD sign all those guys, but you actually think this is going to happen?

I'm a pretty big KW supporter, but he needs to solidify this rotation, i'm not saying the season is hopeless, the offseason is far from over, just getting frustrated i suppose.

-a SP, a middle infielder.

that's all this team really needs right now to be good. It can/should be able to get done.

I think it could turn out ok.  The Sox could sign El Duque, Cairo, and Pierz for the around the same amount of money they would have spent on Clement.  But most of you wouldn't be happy with that, so I guess it's still going to be ugly to you.

I totally agree with you that those 3 moves would make this offseason an absolute success. We didn't get Clement, so it's time to move on. I just would be more confident if I knew that KW wanted to spend the money from the Carlos trade.

Washburn only if he gets non-tendered. Millwood, lowe and of course milton. :wub:

I think Washburn is available regardless. If that's a guy they like, throw the Angels a little something and get him. Personally, I'd rather Hernandez because he knows how to pitch. But that's just me.

Not enamored with Milton, he throws a lot of gopher balls does he not? As for Lowe, Boras client and I think he goes to Detroit anyway.

They should get one guy for sure, a guy who's a proven starting pitcher. And then invite a couple of guys on minor league deals like they did with Person. Build some depth and let these guys compete.

I think Washburn is available regardless.  If that's a guy they like, throw the Angels a little something and get him.  Personally, I'd rather Hernandez because he knows how to pitch.  But that's just me.

Not enamored with Milton, he throws a lot of gopher balls does he not?  As for Lowe, Boras client and I think he goes to Detroit anyway.

They should get one guy for sure, a guy who's a proven starting pitcher.  And then invite a couple of guys on minor league deals like they did with Person.  Build some depth and let these guys compete.

Milton has thrown24 homeruns or more every year of his career. Twice he had 35 and last year he had 43. He would be near sixty here in my opinion. He always has the worst g/f ratio in baseball. A career 0.59 g/f ratio last year. :puke Has always been one of the most overated players and one of the most overpayed in baseball. I hate him more than just about any player in baseball.

KW said that he had money to sign a part-time middle infielder, before the CLee trade. Let's make that $2 million. Take that, plus the $6 million gained in that deal. Shoenweiss is arbitration eligible and would get at least $2 million. Let him go. Ben Davis made $1.4 million last year and is arbitration eligible if I'm not mistaken. Minimally, he'd get $1.5 million. That comes out to $11.5 million to play with. I think you do better than El Duque, Cairo, and AJ.

Why are the Angels going to release Washburn, anyway?

Washburn is arbitration eligible and could get awarded some huge sum ... maybe like $8-9M or so? Big money for someone whose last two years have been rather mediocre. Plus the Angels have a 1-5 pretty well set I believe.

Well we got our salary dump.

No FA pitcher, salary at 65 mill.

Think about it this way, if we are sitting in 4th place in June we can look forward to salary dump II. Konerko and Everett will be gone. This of course will be to get more money for next years FA class. Which again we will have to compete with Anaheim, Seattle, NY, and Boston.

If we play our cards right our payroll could be around 50 mill. More money for JR to get naked and roll around in cool.

We are officially f***ed now.

:fyou