*Official* Clement to Boston

Guest JimH

Remember last year we were having this same talk about Gordon.  We can afford Gordon and we got Mike Jackson. 

We will get some cheap, very very cheap injury prone FA that is lightening in a bottle. 

That is how showey made it into the rotation last year.

my man, my attitude is in the same place right now.... I am going to do all I can avoid to hear KW's comments about this... "we thought we had him, it didn't work out, but you know what? I'm really pleased with the team we have right now, I think we will suprise some people"

:puke

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my man, my attitude is in the same place right now.... I am going to do all I can avoid to hear KW's comments about this... "we thought we had him, it didn't work out, but you know what? I'm really pleased with the team we have right now, I think we will suprise some people"

Detroit will add Lowe to their rotation. They have two closers so their pen is much better. Their offense is stacked from last year and they beat the sox even with inferior teams over the last two years.

Cleveland - Young hungry hitters. Bullpen looks a bit better than last year.

Minny - 2 dominant pitchers who we do not know how to beat.

But hey there is always the Royals.

4th place without dominant pitching 1-5.

So far we added team speed with pods. Everything else is a wash.

I can defenitely see that. I've posted many times that JR is taking lessons on how to run a sports franchise from Bill Wirtz and this is straight out of the Dollar Bill playbook. Make a lowball offer for a top free agent that will surely be outdone by another team then whine to the media about how they "tried" to land the big fish.

Why am I not surprised by this?

Not getting Matt Clement is too bad for the short-term, but only because he was (maybe) the best of a dwindling pool of FA pitchers. I have my questions about him, given his second-half fade the past two seasons.

I'd actually be okay with KW's remark of "waiting til June/July" to see who's out of the playoff chase and trying to dump players, except for the fact that without another legit starter, the Sox may well BE one of those teams. The AL Central is shaping up to be more competitive than last year, so there'll be no coasting in second place, waiting for something to happen IMO.

I'd have been much happier if the Sox had been more aggressive earlier with better pitchers, but better pitchers are very expensive and the Sox have "budgetary restrictions", as we all know by now.

I'm guessing that the Sox will now enter the "Overpay For Perez Or Lowe Derby", make their best offer and see if it's enough.

The Red Sox are so like the the Yankees, its unbelievable. They sign two guys for less money than they are being offered because they want to play in Boston! They are so like the Yankees! Matt Clement wants to play in Boston is offered higher money from Anaheim and a few other teams, yet chooses to play with the Red Sox! They are so like the Yankees!

:rolly :rolly :rolly