Sox claim Bobby Jenks off waivers from Anaheim

CSF

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox roster was updated and it shows Jenks as being 6'3" and 270 lbs.

Sounds like quite the chubster.  :o  More chins than the Chinatown phone book?

Can't be any bigger than Fartolo Colon.

I'll be interested to get a look at the big guy at Tucson Electric Park.

Jenks Q & A from the recent BA Angels top 10 prospects chat wrap.

Q:  Blake from So Cal asks:

a couple of pitcher's questions here...first, how is jenkity jenks rehab going and is he expected to be ready by the time pitchers and catchers report in feb? secondly, w his size, control and developing arsenal of pitches (including a low 90's heater and a splitter), it is no surprise to me that steven shell cracked this year's top 10. however i was wondering what type a pitcher you think he will be ifwhen he reaches the bigs? does he have the upside to be a potential ace or is he a solid #2 or #3?

A:  Alan Matthews: It remains to be seen on Jenks. He was playing catch this fall and making progress after was shutdown for the third time in two seasons because of a stress reaction in his right elbow. He eventually had surgery in August. A pin was placed in his right elbow. I like Shell because he has good control, probably the best in the organization. He projects as a No. 2-3 guy in the big leagues.

Q:  Eric from Los Angeles asks:

At this point is it safe to say that Bobby Jenks future will be out of the bullpen? That is if he has a future in baseball.

A:  Alan Matthews: Well, that might be a safe bet. Jenks hasn't put together a complete season without an off-the-field incident and now is faced with his first major arm injury. He has the talent to be a legitimate major league starter but time is running out, and at this stage of his development, might profile best as a reliever in the majors. He has great stuff and a power arm so the Angels will exhaust all possibilities before cutting bait.