Timo Perez Signs One Year Deal

Southside hitmen

Bulls***. Rex can even tell you himself that they've been trying to get rid of Frank for years.

Reinsdorf likely will not let him. KW might not like him, but I'm pretty sure Reinsdorf likes him a lot...so much so that he either lent him or just gave him $1 mill to help pay some debts Frank had prior to the 2003 season.

Frank will end his career in a White Sox uni.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gload > Everett

Now that we have Timo as a back up to an already filled outfield, Everett needs to be traded.

Post All-Star Splits:

Gload: 57 129 17 47 10 0 5 72 24 12 17 0 2 .364 .410 .558 .968

Everett: 43 154 21 41 7 1 5 65 21 8 26 1 0 .266 .320 .422 .742

Everett struck out more times.

In fact:

Lee: 70 267 52 86 14 0 20 160 49 22 35 4 1 .322 .376 .599 .976

Gload has less HR's but for all those OPS guy's he makes it up with the +.400 obp.

Now Everett on the other hand had an OBP

Gload should start at 1b, Konerko DH.

SB

Timo Signs 1-year deal .... with the Chicago White Sox. :puke

Keeping Timo becuase of a few clutch hits is about as stupid as getting rid of Kieth Fouke because of a few blown games, you neglect all of their other performances, Keith's good, Timo's bad.

You always remember clutch hits, so you value them above all else.

Case: Joe Crede's walk-offs --- You all remember them. -- How many times did Crede go down with the tying/winning run in Scoring position in the 9th this season. That's not as easy to aswer is it..

You all remember Shingo's blown save, but who remembers his 7th save where he threw only 8 pitches.(alright the second part of that is kinda made up, but I don't remember them, and I'm to lazy to look 'em up)

Timo is an excellent value for a year. If Everett has a great first half and Big Frank is healthy and contributing, they can trade Everett for some pitching. He'd be owed something under $2 mil for the rest of the year and the Sox could even pick that up. Everett as trade bait isn't a bad thing.

Timo Signs 1-year deal .... with the Chicago White Sox. :puke

Keeping Timo becuase of a few clutch hits is about as stupid as getting rid of Kieth Fouke because of a few blown games, you neglect all of their other performances, Keith's good, Timo's bad.

You always remember clutch hits, so you value them above all else.

Case: Joe Crede's walk-offs --- You all remember them. -- How many times did Crede go down with the tying/winning run in Scoring position in the 9th this season.  That's not as easy to aswer is it..

You all remember Shingo's blown save, but who remembers his 7th save where he threw only 8 pitches.(alright the second part of that is kinda made up, but I don't remember them, and I'm to lazy to look 'em up)

I'd agree with you, but it's not like we're asking Timo to be our everyday right fielder here. He saved our ass a few times coming off the bench last year. If I remember correctly, he made some big hits for the Mets in the time he was in New York. I don't think he's anything special, but I just don't see how having him as a bat off the bench hurts us at all.

Gload > Everett

Now that we have Timo as a back up to an already filled outfield, Everett needs to be traded.

Post All-Star Splits:

In fact:

Gload has less HR's but for all those OPS guy's he makes it up with the +.400 obp.

SB

Now compare Timo's post-ASB splits to either Everett or Gload, .246/.285/.338. Why?

I want to see Gload play too, but IMO he doesn't get those #s again. If he does, there's no way the Sox could justify not playing him everyday.

I dont like Timo either, but my dislike at $1mil is considerably less than my dislike for $4mil, because that money could be spent on some one who could actually play. I mean not even an oustanding player, just a guy like Grudz who can sub in for Willie against lefties.

It makes no sense to waste Gload, and we need to see if he can be an every day player.

SB

Gload > Everett

Post All-Star Splits:

In fact:

SB

Holy s***. I didn't even think about that. While Frank is injured, Everett doesn't have to DH. Gload at 1B, Pauly DH is very pleasing to me.

I dont like Timo either, but my dislike at $1mil is considerably less than my dislike for $4mil, because that money could be spent on some one who could actually play. I mean not even an oustanding player, just a guy like Grudz who can sub in for Willie against lefties.

It makes no sense to waste Gload, and we need to see if he can be an every day player.

SB

Exactly. Let's diss the guy making 1 mil who actually did something last year

for the guy making 4 mil who did nothing and that we trade for every year.

Trade his carcass for prospects, use that money to stay in the Clement bidding or even to use at the break. I have no problem with Escobar taking Everett's roster spot.

I don't like this because it doesn't help give us another option in the outfield if we're facing a tough lefty. We would have been better off letting Escobar be our 5th outfielder, so he could face tough lefties instead of Podsednik in guys like Randy Johnson, Santana, and C.C. The million we spent on Timo could have helped out greatly in getting another infielder. You know this all boils down to the fact that Timo is one of Kenny's "guys". He has trouble letting go of guys that he brings in.

SB

I just have a much higher opinion of Everett than most posters here. Last year he had a bad season, he usually gets on base at a much better clip, and I don't know why he wouldn't return to form. He has some power from the left side of the plate, something the Sox need. I like Gload too. But if signing Timo means we move one or the other (which I doubt, but we'll see), then I'd say the signing was a much worse move than it looks.

I agree that the $1 mil alone, if this is our end-of-the-bench player, is not anything to cry over. It doesn't help the team, though.

White Sox re-signed outfielder Timo Perez to a one-year, $1 million contract.

Perez, who turns 30 in April, hit .246/.285/.338 in 293 AB in his first season with the White Sox. He's not a great defender, and he's a lousy basestealer. There are better reserve outfielders willing to play for the minimum. Dec. 17 - 5:16 pm et

So true.

I do remember at the end of last season, both KW and Ozzie mentioned that Timo was playing hurt most of the yr, that the injury affected his hitting.

His defense was solid, could play all 3 spots, good bat off the bench. Maybe a little rich. But he's an Ozzie guy, who can handle the bat and has a good glove. Must be his "intangibles" are off the charts :D

I do remember at the end of last season, both KW and Ozzie mentioned that Timo was playing hurt most of the yr, that the injury affected his hitting.

His defense was solid, could play all 3 spots, good bat off the bench. Maybe a little rich. But he's an Ozzie guy, who can handle the bat and has a good glove. Must be his  "intangibles" are off the charts  :D

He makes me sick how he catches the ball.

His defense was solid, could play all 3 spots, good bat off the bench. Maybe a little rich. But he's an Ozzie guy, who can handle the bat and has a good glove. Must be his  "intangibles" are off the charts  :D

It was a leg injury they kind of kept quiet, I think a quad pull that just wouldn't go away. I remember Ozzie joking that he was the only CF in the league you had to pinch run for.

If he's not hurting we may see a little faster Timo. He was never a base stealer but it could help on ground balls and bunts. Last season, I think he showed he's a good bunter but couldn't get down the line.

Timo's defense is flat out awful. His arm is solid, but his range is worse than almost everyone else in baseball....besides Carl Everett. Because of his terrible range, he has to play on the warning track for almost every hitter. With Rowand, Podsednik, Dye, Everett, Gload, and Escobar, we had absolutely no use for him. Terrible signing in my opinion, but thankfully it wasn't a multiyear deal. Money could have been spent much more effectively.