Barry Zito, Mark Mulder

DBAHO

Aritcle from Ken Rosenthal that mentions the White Sox;

A's general manager Billy Beane might not stop with his trade of ace right-hander Tim Hudson. Beane figures to make at least one more significant deal this off-season, and one of his two prized left-handers, Barry Zito or Mark Mulder, could be the next to go.

Three arbitration-eligible players with rising price tags — designated hitter Erubiel Durazo, outfielder Eric Byrnes and reliever Chad Bradford — also could be vulnerable as Beane tries to ensure that the team remains competitive despite its low-revenue position.

Beane evidently wants to retool on the fly, moving pricey veterans for inexpensive youngsters. The three players Beane acquired in the deal — left-hander Dan Meyer, right-hander Juan Cruz and outfielder Charles Thomas — are all likely to crack the A's Opening Day roster. And all three have between zero and three years of major-league service time, enabling the club to control their 2005 salaries.

The Orioles are interested in Zito, and could offer Beane the same package that might have landed Hudson — left-hander Erik Bedard, Class AAA right-hander John Maine and Class AA right-hander Hayden Penn. The teams are not currently talking about Zito, according to a major-league source, but the discussions could be revived easily.

Given the rising cost of free-agent starting pitchers — and the shortage of starters on the trade market — Beane probably could exact a high price for Zito or Mulder. Zito will earn more than $5 million next season with a $7 million club option for 2006. Mulder will earn $6 million in '05 with a $7.25 million club option for '06.

The Dodgers, Cardinals, White Sox and Red Sox are among the teams seeking quality starters. The A's might take a step back if Beane traded another member of the now-defunct Big Three for youngsters. But because the team is unable to afford its top pitchers long-term, it would be in better position to contend in future seasons.

Durazo, who stands to make at least $4 million after a 22-homer, 88-RBI season, could be attractive to the Angels or another American League team in need of a power-hitting DH. Byrnes might be even more likely to be moved — his name surfaced in the Hudson talks, and the addition of Thomas left the A's with a surplus of outfielders.

i can see us making a run at mulder because it would be a good fan related move him being a sox fan and all... also with him in our rotation and les say garland going to the A's i really wouldnt mind an incomplete rotation with our top 3 being mulder, buerhle, and garcia.... and contereas as inconsistent as he is can be shutdown any game against any opponent

I think it's pretty clear that BB is setting up his farm system to keep the A's among the top teams in baseball for the future. That being said, I can't see him parting with either guy for anything short of BMac & Anderson

Even if it does BMac and Anderson I say go for it. It has been too long since the White Sox have won a post season series. With a 1-2-3 punch of Mulder-Buehrle-Garcia we can very well do that. Also, both Mulder and Zito have two guaranteed years here. Even if we do trade away two of our top prospects it proves to whoever it is that we do get ( I hope Mulder, went to HS at Thornwood, grew up a Sox fan ) that we care about winning now and that they should stay on the team. That, coupled with Mulder's history could make him sign an extension here, so even if we don't do it all this year we still have 2-3 years locked down with Mulder-Buehrle-Garcia at the top of the rotation, than we can build the offense around it accordingly. I'm tired of not making the playoffs, I want the Sox to be competitive now.

i would give up our 3 top prospects in a heart beat they might want will harris instead of one of the prospects i'd give him up to, assuming we sign a 2b.

But BB would be crazy if he traded one of them with 2 years left, he is probally going to use them both this season trade them next season, and get what he can.

Can you imagine a rotation with Mulder-Buehrle-Garcia at the top of it. That is three guys who will all chew up over 210+ IP. Than if you were able to hold onto Garland you would have 4 guys who all could throw for more than 210+ IP. You could carry a 6 man pen and a huge bench. This would bring soo much depth and different looks to the Sox.

BMac, Anderson, and Marte for Hudson...sure, in a heartbeat.

BMac and Anderson alone for Mulder...not a chance in hell.

If you thought Clement's second half stats were bad...you are in for a surprise...

Mulder, second half of 04 -

5-6, 6.13 ERA 1.59 WHIP, BB/9 of about 4, K/BB of 1 with a HR/9 of 1.5

For our top 2 prospects? No thanks

BMac, Anderson, and Marte for Hudson...sure, in a heartbeat.

BMac and Anderson alone for Mulder...not a chance in hell.

If you thought Clement's second half stats were bad...you are in for a surprise...

Mulder, second half of 04 -

5-6, 6.13 ERA 1.59 WHIP, BB/9 of about 4, K/BB of 1 with a HR/9 of 1.5

For our top 2 prospects?  No thanks

Don't forget about Mulder's chronic hip problem as well. No doubt the Sox if they don't trade for him, will pursue him in FA whenever that is. (2005 or 2006 I think).

Be very leery of Zito, there are attitude and velocity problems there. IMO that's who BB will try to dump and I wouldn't pay nearly as much for him as for Hudson.

As I said with Hudson, if you're willing to take Kendalls's contract you will seal the deal with Beane. EOS.

Of course you have to be willing to deal with Beane and if Steff's source is right then KW is too miffed over a few words said in a book to do what's right for the team. That's truly sad.

Btw, I didn't realize Byrne was arb eligible. SPod may not be Beane's prototype player but he'd be of definite interest to him as a replacement for Byrne.