NY Rumors about Vazquez

fathom

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at the mlb.com report of the possible RJ trade. How in the world do the Yankees pull off such a great deal? They are sending away Vasquez (3 yrs/$34 mil) and two overhyped prospects in return for one of the most dominant left-handed pitchers in baseball history and Ishii (a decent SP who could win 15 games with an offense like the Yankees). I just don't understand why the Dodgers would be a part of this? I don't know, I'm just ranting, but the fact that the Yankees have the payroll to sign anyone and can bamboozle any team into s***ty trades is just getting under my skin. Alright, I'm done.

I was just looking at the mlb.com report of the possible RJ trade.  How in the world do the Yankees pull off such a great deal?  They are sending away Vasquez (3 yrs/$34 mil) and two overhyped prospects in return for one of the most dominant left-handed pitchers in baseball history and Ishii (a decent SP who could win 15 games with an offense like the Yankees).  I just don't understand why the Dodgers would be a part of this?  I don't know, I'm just ranting, but the fact that the Yankees have the payroll to sign anyone and can bamboozle any team into s***ty trades is just getting under my skin.  Alright, I'm done.

One thing is that it gets Johnson out of the national league.

And they save a bunch of money, which they can use to sign Drew; just like we took a one-sided deal to get a bunch of money to use to sign___________, or fatten JR's wallet, whichever

First, the article doesn't even mention the White Sox. No indication our interest or involement in trade discussions. Secondly, Williams has stated Vazquez rumors were false.  And before you reply "He never dismissed the possibility of Marte/Garland- Konerko was the one deemed untradeable," understand Williams speaking out on this trade (during his "under the radar" phase) immediately sqaushes any possibility of White Sox obtaining him via trade.  How much sense does it make for KW to reveal his intentions, while past deals were avoided or ignored?  I'd place more trust in my assessment of a dead-trade than an idea that Williams MAY trade Garland/Marte because he didn't rule it out.  Williams failed to rule out possibility of trading Contreras or Cotts, doesn't necessarily mean either are departing this organizaiton.

Furthermore, Vazquez does not compensate for the loss of Garland/Marte. 

If this deal were to occur, we're taking on money AND STILL haven't filled the 5th starters role.  Why are we creating these trade scenarios in which starters are marginally replaced instead of upgraded?

34million remains on Vazquez's contract. Only scenario Williams should approve this deal if Yankees were willing to stomach 10 million.  Is this feasible for either team at this point? With questions relating to their starting pitching, wouldn't Dodgers be better served keeping an 8 million dollar Vazquez? Can you expect Steinbrenner to pay 10 million of Vazquez's contract when Unit's arrival is imminent? If Yankees eat at least 10mil, coupled with Garland/Marte/Lee's departure, 5 million is available.  To summarize this deal: Vazquez replaces Garland, Marte is gone, and 5 million is available.  If Williams were to no absolutely nothing, Marte/Garland remain and 7 million lingers.

I honestly don't understand what's so difficult about either signing Perez, or upgrading various IF positions and acquiring a cheap starter.

Why bother trying to add a guy like Vazquez? Because Vazquez is a #1 or a #2 when pitching like he did in the 1st half of last yr. Garland and Perez on their best days can be solid #3's or 4's.

What is pretty clear is Vazquez wouldn't be a good fit for LA if they sign Drew and Lowe [which they sound like they want to do. Hence if Vazquez was put on the market, the Sox would be a good bet to go after him.

Is Vazquez "marginally" better than Garland or an $8 mill / yr Odalis Perez? No question. Perez scares me, and isn't a sure thing [a guy who can go 6, 7 IP's everytime out there] for the rotation and looks like his price will shoot threw the roof as teams scramble to fill holes in their rotations. Yet Vazquez's all star 1st half is more in line with what he's capable of doing, as he's shown steady progress. The 2nd half looks more like an aberation, with a change is his motion/ bad mechanics. And he's been a workhorse in previous yrs.

Looking at the Mulder and Hudson deals, Vazquez could be had for a decent price. The trade market has been set, and Vazquez will come cheaper in terms of talent than both of them.

The sox can add a #5 through the non-tender route, or sign Schoeneweis [he was solid as the #4 last yr before he got hurt] SS as the #5 can allow him to pitch in the bullpen when off days allow. The bullpen can absorb Marte's loss, with the additions of Vizcaino and Hermanson, and Cotts and Adkins being used better. Or the sox can add another bullepn arm who was non-tendered.

As far as salary goes, Everett wouldn't stay anyway. PK can DH when Frank is injured and Gload plays 1B. A team in need of a bat could use him and the Sox could get some prospects equal to Rauch and Majewski.

Granted it boston gammons, but he is on the dan patrick show talking about how Javier Vasquez doesnt want to go to LA because of family issues. His wife I guess goes to her parents when Javier goes on the road and LA would be too far. So maybe the trade is a real possiblity. Garland and Marte for Javier. The dodgers sign lowe and drew and they looks pretty good.

Other teams interested in Vazquez include;

The Orioles are one of several teams interested in acquiring Yankees right-hander Javier Vazquez if he is sent to the Dodgers in the Randy Johnson trade.

The White Sox, Angels, Phillies, Mets, Marlins, Cardinals and Rangers all like Vazquez, though payroll limitations would be a hindrance for most of those clubs at this point.

Vazquez, 28, is owed $34 million over the final three years of his contract.

I still think it's a horrible trade for LAD, but if they are that hard up for NYY prospects that were evaluated by ARZ as non-starters then I guess Vazquez would have more worth to NL teams.

I don't buy the O's, Angels, Rangers, or CWS being interested at 34M/3 but STL, PHI, FLA, NYM, make sense as do a few other NL teams. His NL numbers are far better than his AL numbers.

What a dick.

According to Newsday, Javier Vazquez refused to report to Los Angeles for a physical, killing the Randy Johnson trade.

Vazquez has no right to reject the trade, and he wants to continue with this stance, the Yankees could probably suspend him without pay. It's unlikely it will come to that, though. Dec. 21 - 9:40 pm et

This may effect the trade...

The Dodgers and J.D. Drew have agreed to a five-year, $55 million contract, the Bergen Record reports.

That's a better deal than what they reportedly offered Adrian Beltre. A healthy Drew might be worth as much as Beltre, but this a player whose career high in games played is 145 and whose second highest total is 135. He shouldn't have gotten this much money. Dec. 22 - 12:54 am et

I would say it's a fairly safe bet that Vazquez is moved before spring training. He effectively killed this deal that King George so badly wanted. He also failed late season for the Yankees. I doubt he'll ever wear Yankee pinstripes again.

To follow up that thought, he might come cheap if KW wants to swoop in and take him off their hands.

Whether Arizona even wants Vazquez is uncertain. His value might have taken a blow yesterday when Dodgers General Manager Paul DePodesta, in a conference call with reporters to discuss the deal's demise, said he had a health concern about one of the players. It was an apparent reference to Vazquez, who would have gone to the Dodgers in the complicated trade, along with two Yankees minor leaguers.

Be careful KW.

I would say it's a fairly safe bet that Vazquez is moved before spring training.  He effectively killed this deal that King George so badly wanted.  He also failed late season for the Yankees.  I doubt he'll ever wear Yankee pinstripes again. 

To follow up that thought, he might come cheap if KW wants to swoop in and take him off their hands.

Vazquez should definitely come at a lower price than before the RJ trade was nixed. Mostly because it sounds like LA is trying to blame Vazquez for backing out of the horrible deal [when it probably was the fact that LA was just purging salary and all their fans knew it].

Form the sounds of it, Vazquez was on vacation and was going to take a physical after he was done. LA spins it as his refusal for the reason to back out. DePodesta seems over his head. Getting Penny and Choi in a big deal but then looking to get rid of them right away. Getting Finley in 2004 but not resigning him for 2005. Now this debacle.

My guess is the yanks will deal directly w/ AZ, and then the sox can try getting Vaz from them.

A friend of mine who lives in NY says the Whitesox are talking to the Yankees about Vasquez according  to WFAN..

I think maybe Marte and a  high prospect might bring Javier to the south side.. If we do get Vasquez and sign Hernandez... We will have 3 pitchers who  started for the yankees  last  year

I can see the Yanks wanting to get the right players for Vazquez and then trading them for RJ [provided AZ wants and can use those players]. Leaves other teams out of it and they can get RJ on their own.

Or at worst, Vazquez could get players the yanks need and can use. They may feel RJ isn't worth all these hoops and go hard after Beltran

For an organization handcuffed with payroll limitations, why the hell would Reinsdorf shoulder Vazquez's salary? NY eating an extremely reasonable amount of 10 million still leaves White Sox paying Vazquez 8mil/yr. We don't have these funds lying around. Teams witholding an extra 10+ million don't lowball arbitration eligble players (Schoeneweis/Davis) to save $500,000.

If Vazquez killed this deal by refusing an LA trade, his stock steadilly fall From quotes posted in the Daily Southtown, Yankee's President Randy Levine openly questioned DePodesta for unprofessionaly backing out of the deal. Doesn't appear as if Steinbrenner has JV pegged as official scapegoat; yet.

Garland/prospect is the most i'd offer for Vazquez. Not reasonable, but our rotation is complete. Sox lose nothing if trade discussions fall through. In any trade talks concerning Vazquez, there should be absolutely no scenario in which Marte is included. Sox desperately need a strong bullpen with potential health risk Orlando Hernandez joining the rotation. Statements such as "bullpen absorbs loss of Marte" are no longer reasonable. If Perez were signed in place of El Duque, yes, maybe Marte's departure would be less damaging. Not as our rotations currently stands.

For an organization handcuffed with payroll limitations, why the hell would Reinsdorf shoulder Vazquez's salary?  NY eating an extremely reasonable amount of 10 million still leaves White Sox paying Vazquez 8mil/yr.  We don't have these funds lying around.  Teams with an extra 10+ million don't lowball arbitration eligble players (Schoeneweis/Davis) to save $500,000. 

If Vazquez killed this deal by refusing an LA trade, his stock should be steadily sinking.  From quotes posted in the Daily Southtown, Yankee's President openly questions DePodesta for unprofessionaly backing out of the deal.  Doesn't appear as if Steinbrenner has JV pegged as official scapegoat; yet.  King George and JV's agent may are doing their best to ensure his value doesn't plummit. 

Garland/prospect is the most i'd offer for Vazquez. Likely not reasonable, but our rotation is complete. Sox lose nothing if trade discussions fall through. In any trade talks concerning Vazques, there should be absolutely scenario in which Marte is included. Sox desperately need a strong bullpen with potential health risk Orlando Hernandez joining the rotation.  Statements such as "bullpen absorbs loss of Marte" are no longer reasonable.  If Perez were signed in place of El Duque, yes, maybe Marte's departure would be less damaging. Not as our rotations currently stands.

Why Vazquez? Because he's a #1, #2 starter. If the Sox were willing to give Clement $7 mill a yr, Vazquez is worth $8 mill.

I just don't think the Sox are done. Hernandez will make $2 mill, + incentives. The key is do the sox have confidence in him being the 5th SP? With days off etc, he'll be used less to save his arm. Garland could then be a valuable trading chip. No way do I see the sox heading into 2005 with 3 question marks in Jose, Jon and now El Duque. But having Jose as the 4th SP and Hernandez in the 5th spot is less worrisome, with an addition of a guy like Vazquez.

Vazquez's price [in terms of talent, salary] is falling. "Losing" Marte and adding Vazquez wouldn't sink the sox. It would improve it. Marte is less valuable now than he was at the start of 2004 for one big reason--he's now proven he isn't a closer. Getting a #1, #2 SP for a set up man [even as good as the 2002, 2003 Marte], is a good trade.

Set up guys who have the stuff and makeup to be closers like Dotel, Mota, Lidge and K-Rod aren't worth trading. But set up guys who haven't been able to close games like LaTroy Hawkins and Marte aren't as valuable, esp if a team has other options [like the Sox do, in Vizcaino, Hermanson, Cotts].