MVP Baseball 2005

Awesome game. I got in 3 games in my owner mode tonight. Won all 3, but they were close games. Most I've scored is 5 runs and that was an extra inning affair against the Tribe.

My stadium is garbage thus far, but this owner mode seems kind of cool. I'm gonna have to get my team in budget though cause I have Chipper riding the bench (McPherson is my starter, lol). Plus I just hate Chipper and drafted him on accident.

Hitting is hard in this game, but I was saying the same thing the first week or two last year and then started hitting the piss out of the ball. I love the new pitching mode and how the margin to get a perfect pitch is so much smaller.

I did improve Pyrzinski in the game. Absolutely no reason why Ben Davis is rated better.

Really smooth game play and I think the transitions when it comes to robbing homers, diving for infield catches and such are a lot better as well.

I've yet to hit a homer with a lefty though, but I've only hit one in 3 games (Vladdy). Morneau hit one to the fence and it got robbed.

One other cool thing I noticed is that the other team actually calls pitch outs...cause the bastards got me gunned out, haha.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is playing the computer? I hated playing the computer last year because the computer NEVER swung at a pitch that wasn't a strike, no matter how close it was. Basically I had to lay the ball in there all the time because I couldn't be too fine and got hammered.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
How is playing the computer?  I hated playing the computer last year because the computer NEVER swung at a pitch that wasn't a strike, no matter how close it was.  Basically I had to lay the ball in there all the time because I couldn't be too fine and got hammered.

its better...but that down low curve gets them every time

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
How is playing the computer?  I hated playing the computer last year because the computer NEVER swung at a pitch that wasn't a strike, no matter how close it was.  Basically I had to lay the ball in there all the time because I couldn't be too fine and got hammered.

You can school the computer pretty easy with a low breaking ball for the second strike then go up out of the zone for strike three. It depends alot on the players plated disapline.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Pitch outs piss me off it's impossible to steal bases. Rocco got thrown out 4 times, Freel 3 times and Byrnes once. I gotta learn how to steal.

I was running myself out of rallies every time. ALthough I wasn't getting many hits either. Like half my team is hitting under .200, lol. Dion Navarro is the only guy any decent cause for some reason the other team never throws any strikes to him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 05:01 AM)
I just upped his contact in both regards.  He's not right around Spod overall.  Don't remember what he's at. I'll post it tomorrow, but I think I moved him up around 78 or so.

Ahhh, sounds good.

For owner mode did you do a fantasy draft or just end up using default rosters?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)

Usually I try and nit pick the zone or will waste a pitch or two and then come back. Seems to work alright and sometimes they'll even call a pitch out of the so called zone a strike. They also seem to chase.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
I was running myself out of rallies every time.  ALthough I wasn't getting many hits either.  Like half my team is hitting under .200, lol.  Dion Navarro is the only guy any decent cause for some reason the other team never throws any strikes to him.

I think we have very similar teams I have Mornaeu at 1st and Navarro on the bench. Ricky Weeks, Jack Wilson, Hank Blaylock, Eric Byrnes, Rocco Baldelli, Willy Mo Pena, Victor Martinez. Carlos Zambrano, CC Sabathia, Jason Davis, Dennis Tankersly, Tony Armas Jr. Juan Cruz, JC Romero, Damaso Marte, Felix Rodriguez, Danys Baez and Brad Lidge.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
I think we have very similar teams I have Mornaeu at 1st and Navarro on the bench. Ricky Weeks, Jack Wilson, Hank Blaylock, Eric Byrnes, Rocco Baldelli, Willy Mo Pena, Victor Martinez. Carlos Zambrano, CC Sabathia, Jason Davis, Dennis Tankersly, Tony Armas Jr. Juan Cruz, JC Romero, Damaso Marte, Felix Rodriguez, Danys Baez and Brad Lidge.

I got Morneau, Brian Roberts, Hernandez, McPherson, Milton Bradley, Lance Berkman, Vladdy Guerrero, Mark Prior, Roy Halladay, Zach Day, Edwin Jackson, CC Sabathia, Joey Nathan, Billy Wagner, Octavio Dotel, Jairo Garcia, Kyle Farnsworth, Blakely, Ryan Howard, Jayson Werth and a few others.

Gotta deal some of the higher price players I have to get my team in budget. I want to mainly pick up some more young guys. I'm gonna try and get Rocco and Upton.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
When you start owner mode, make sure you set your budget to HIGH or whatever on the options screen. Its far down. You can buy the more seats upgrade right away, which you NEED or your stadium looks like s***.

Ya I set mine on high and got the Level 2 seating upgrade right away, stadium doesn't look half bad.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
When you start owner mode, make sure you set your budget to HIGH or whatever on the options screen. Its far down. You can buy the more seats upgrade right away, which you NEED or your stadium looks like s***.

Haha, great, you guys tell me this now, LOL. My stadium holds 20,000 and I still haven't been able to get myself a hot dog stand. But my soda stand is selling like mad.

Its kind of cool, its like sim city or rollercoaster tycoon meet MVP.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Haha, great, you guys tell me this now, LOL.  My stadium holds 20,000 and I still haven't been able to get myself a hot dog stand.  But my soda stand is selling like mad. 

Its kind of cool, its like sim city or rollercoaster tycoon meet MVP.

Same thing happened to me, my friend told me about it when i was 2 games into my season too.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)

Pssh, my minor league looking stadium rocks. :D

Edited by Rowand44

f***.

Just found out that ps2rosters.com won't be releasing their rosters anywhere from 3-6 weeks, that's a b****. I might just have to spend a day or so doing it myself, as long as I get the top prospects, that's good.

I'm gonna spend a s***load of time on the Sox minors, though. I'm definitely hoping to create just about everyone in the system, everyone who still has 'prospect' status, at least.

Oh yeah -- another cool thing about this game is the 'Baseball America Top 100 Prospect' feature. For example, look at Nick Swisher -- go to his player profile, and flip through the different screens, and you'll see the little BA Top 100 logo.