MVP Baseball 2005

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Is there any secret to hitting in this damn game? because I sure can't :angry:

make sure you use the analog stick when you hit. this allows you to pull the ball or push the ball, or hit flyballs or groundballs.

Edited by rangercal

Fantasy Draft, White Sox:

Order:

CF- Podsednik

SS- Cintron

LF- Bonds/Dowd

3B- A-Rod

1B- PK

DH- Hafner

RF- Hidalgo

C- Pierzynski

2B- Figgins

Bench:

C- Einar Diaz

2B- Alex Cora

SS- Alex Gonazalez (not the Cubs one)

RF- Ruben Sierra

CF- Tom Goodwin

Rotation:

Mark Prior

Rich Harden

Javier Vazquez

Edwin Jackson

Kip Wells

Bullpen:

LRP- Jeremy Affeldt

MRP- Shiggy Hasegawa

MRP- Uggy Urbina

SU- Arthur Rhodes

SU- Scott Williamson

CP- Robb Nenn

My AAA is practically ALL Top 100 prospects.

The Top 100 Prospects I have include:

MLB:

3. Edwin Jackson, SP Los Angeles Dodgers

AAA:

24. Jung-Hoon Choi, SP Los Angeles Dodgers (Greg Miller)

25. Darryl Buhler, SP Seattle Mariners (Felix Hernandez)

27. Derek Larmour, SP St. Louis Cardinals (Anthony Reyes)

31. Kevin McCracken, SP Los Angeles Dodgers (Chad Billingsly)

43. Jose Capellan, SP Milwaukee Brewers

47. Bryant Tyner, CF New York Mets (Lastings Milledge)

54. JD Durbin, RP Minnesota Twins

56. Pat Lidge, RP Oakland A's (Huston Street)

70. Curtis Granderson, RF Detroit Tigers

77. Larry Baert, SS Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (Erick Aybar)

80. Darren Roberts, C Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (Jeff Mathis)

81. Jon Bukvich, 1B Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (Kenny Morales)

82. Jim Ennis, LF Arizona Diamondbacks (Conor Jackson)

83. Matt James, 3B Cincinnati Reds (Edwin Encarnacion)

88. Sam Gent, SS Milwaukee Brewers (JJ Hardy)

AA:

90. Blair Pioveson, 3B Kansas City Royals (Mark Teahen)

91. Jorge Cordona, C Pittsburgh Pirates (Neil Walker)

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
That's the hitters eye. Watch the ball right after it is released and if it is red, its a curveball/splitter, white is fastball, and green is offspeed. It took me a while to figure that out because I didn't read the manual, but it really helped my hitting. I just sit on fastballs and slap line drives all over.

WTF, I had no idea of this hitters eye your talking about. Jesus, I'm a moron. I'd of never of known this if I hadn't actually read this.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
WTF, I had no idea of this hitters eye your talking about.  Jesus, I'm a moron. I'd of never of known this if I hadn't actually read this.

cocain's a hell of a drug

What do you guys (so far) think is the hardest pitch to hit in the game?

And, the hardest pitcher, too?

For both accounts, I'll go with Johan Santana, and his circle-changeup -- in two games against him, I've been held to three hits over 18 innings, no runs. His changeup goes from 80 MPH, and that damn pitch looks like it's a foot off the plate, and then it hits the outside corner, and then he comes back with a 97 MPH heater.

Ugh.

And, while I haven't faced him yet, I assume Shingo is damn hard to hit. 56 MPH frisbee, followed by a 88 MPH heater...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
What do you guys (so far) think is the hardest pitch to hit in the game?

And, the hardest pitcher, too?

For both accounts, I'll go with Johan Santana, and his circle-changeup -- in two games against him, I've been held to three hits over 18 innings, no runs.  His changeup goes from 80 MPH, and that damn pitch looks like it's a foot off the plate, and then it hits the outside corner, and then he comes back with a 97 MPH heater.

Ugh.

And, while I haven't faced him yet, I assume Shingo is damn hard to hit.  56 MPH frisbee, followed by a 88 MPH heater...

santana is tough, so is oswalt.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
Think i've finally found the right combination for my dynasty.

All star difficulty, no sliders.

And i'm playing out a game, then managing the next.

So far i'm 3-3 (played 2-1) (managed 1-2)

what exactly are sliders

Excellent.

I'm starting to play some damn good baseball, early in the season, as I'm off to a 6-1 start.

So far, my middle infielders have been great for me, both Uribe and Iguchi. Crede has been garbage, although he did come up with a clutch two run homer in Cleveland. Rowand is slumping but hitting the ball hard, and Dye has been awful. Same with Podsednik.

My pitching staff is lights out, I'm going to keep turning up the difficulty on the pitching meter, as well as adding to CPU Contact.

Steve, I know you're not playing with sliders, but turn foul balls up a lot. You have some real, real awesome AB's where you really need to work to get a strikeout. I remember, this one AB where Travis Hafner must have fouled off five in a row, brought the count full, and I got him on a backdoor curveball. It was an awesome AB...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
Steve, I know you're not playing with sliders, but turn foul balls up a lot.  You have some real, real awesome AB's where you really need to work to get a strikeout.  I remember, this one AB where Travis Hafner must have fouled off five in a row, brought the count full, and I got him on a backdoor curveball.  It was an awesome AB...

I know what you mean, when i was playing w/ the sliders and I was playing against my friend......he had a 12 pitch at-bat, that's unheard of in videogames.

I don't use any of that crap for hitting--strike zone, ball cursor, hot/cold, color-coded ball--and I can hit fine on all-star. If you guys got rid of it too you might find it easier, all that junk distracts your concentration off of the ball.

I'm now 29-15 in my first season of owners mode. I traded away Pauly and Jason Schmidt because they had big salaries and I was going to lose them to FA anyways. In return, I got a lot of prospects, including Edwin Jackson (#3), Scott Kazmir (#4), and Chin-Hui Tsao (#13). So now I have about 10 top 100 prospects.

I threw my first no-hitter this year against the Cubs with Joe Kennedy. If not for an error by Huff, it would have been a perfect game. I won the other two games in that series 16-6 and 1-0 to sweep the scrubs.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
can someone help me steal! I cant get a stolen base even with Podsednik. How do you steal?!?!?

Are you getting a big lead before you steal? Use the right analog stick to get a few extra steps before you take off.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
I don't use any of that crap for hitting--strike zone, ball cursor, hot/cold, color-coded ball--and I can hit fine on all-star.  If you guys got rid of it too you might find it easier, all that junk distracts your concentration off of the ball.

I find it more difficult to hit without all of that stuff, but I much prefer it and play that way. A friend and I played without all of that and with the hitter's eye turned off the other night and I beat him 1-0 with a run in the bottom of the 16th inning!

With the hitter's eye, I just beat Seattle in a Spring Training game 8-0. Seemed too easy.

Edited by Rex Hudler