Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
I saw 'two for the money' last night, it was pretty entertaining.

Yeah, it's ok.

Did you watch the extras that come with the DVD?

The guy the film is based on has a lot of interesting things to say about sports gambling.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
I hate musicals.  I really, really hate musicals.  I don't get them, I don't pretend to be cultured, and "get the message".  I hate musicals.

For the most part, I really like musicals. And I don't think it's really a matter of being cultured or not, because some of my favorite musicals are completely campy. It's more a matter of willingly suspending disbelief and allowing that characters can and do break into spontaneous song (backed by an unseen orchestra no less) and that is a key way in which plot and story and character davelopment advances.

I think it also helps to flipflop the way you perceive musicals. For most people who don't like them, the musical bits get in the way and they just wait for that part to be over so they can get back to the story. For people that like musicals I think it's often the non-musical story parts that get in the way and it just seems like filler to get from one musical number to the next. West Side Story, for example, is forever going to to be thought of as the work of Leonard Bernstein (composer) and Stephen Sondheim (lyricist) and not as readily that of Arthur Laurents (playwright).

Good musicals just pack so much story and character advancement into each number I find it hard not to be impressed by them.

I agree, I think most of the time the musical numbers seem out of place and kind of goofy. I love Moulin Rogue, :huh . The musical numbers actually tell the story. The vision and the attention to detail in that film is amazing, to actually make it come to life on film is astonishing.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
I agree, I think most of the time the musical numbers seem out of place and kind of goofy.    I love Moulin Rogue,  :huh .    The musical numbers actually tell the story.    The vision and the attention to detail in that film is amazing, to actually make it come to life on film is astonishing.

yeah i like moulin rouge too...i know there've been others but i can't think of em. I like the old time musicals...and disney movies have been pretty ace.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
I agree, I think most of the time the musical numbers seem out of place and kind of goofy.    I love Moulin Rogue,  :huh .    The musical numbers actually tell the story.    The vision and the attention to detail in that film is amazing, to actually make it come to life on film is astonishing.

My favorite musical was "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and UnCut."

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
yeah i like moulin rouge too...i know there've been others but i can't think of em. I like the old time musicals...and disney movies have been pretty ace.

"I'm siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinging in the rain"

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Saw the 4th Harry Potter movie, and its the best of the series so far IMO.  They chopped a lot out of the book, and still got down to 2.5 hours.  Good rental movie if you are into the series or the books at all.

I haven't watched the movies or read the books.....they seem a little "childish" for me to view or read. I would just like to know if I'm missing anything in my life if I miss this series.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
I haven't watched the movies or read the books.....they seem a little "childish" for me to view or read.  I would just like to know if I'm missing anything in my life if I miss this series.

Not at all.

'A History of Violence' is a wierd, mixed bag. Great performance by William Hurt and Ed Harris was good as usual. Unfortunately, they have the smallest roles in the film. The kid who played Mortensen's son was awful and there was some hot sex thrown in at some awkward times. Overall, predictable and average, luckily it doesn't drag on for three hours. Hurt's performance makes it tolerable.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
lololololol

brian i owe you so much!!!! OMG FUSLCKHJdofjha;ldkfjs ahahhahahha on st. pattys day no less hahahahahahah oh god i love you brian pLZ MARRY ME K?

Did Samuel L. Jackson whip a guy with a snake? Oh man, that movie looks so f***ing stupid, but I'd be lying if I said I don't wanna see it at all.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
lololololol

brian i owe you so much!!!! OMG FUSLCKHJdofjha;ldkfjs ahahhahahha on st. pattys day no less hahahahahahah oh god i love you brian pLZ MARRY ME K?

Uh...no.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Did Samuel L. Jackson whip a guy with a snake?  Oh man, that movie looks so f***ing stupid, but I'd be lying if I said I don't wanna see it at all.

What about the snake crawling out of the fat lady's shirt?

I watched "A History of Violence" last night, and i dont think I have been that dissapointed in a long time. Basically, that movie sucked balls if you ask me. The acting was awful, the plot REALLY REALLY sucked(how can you kill Ed Harris after 10 minutes of screen time? That guy was the only good thing the movie had going. ).

Overall, I give it * out of ****.

Probably late and been discussed, but I dont care. :)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 07:48 AM)
I watched "A History of Violence" last night, and i dont think I have been that dissapointed in a long time.  Basically, that movie sucked balls if you ask me.  The acting was awful, the plot REALLY REALLY sucked(how can you kill Ed Harris after 10 minutes of screen time?  That guy was the only good thing the movie had going. ).

Overall, I give it * out of ****.

Probably late and been discussed, but I dont care.  :)

C'mon dude, make an effort, it's on the previous page :P

'A History of Violence' is a wierd, mixed bag. Great performance by William Hurt and Ed Harris was good as usual. Unfortunately, they have the smallest roles in the film. The kid who played Mortensen's son was awful and there was some hot sex thrown in at some awkward times. Overall, predictable and average, luckily it doesn't drag on for three hours. Hurt's performance makes it tolerable.