Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
I disagree. The end showed that the cycle of violence led all involved to nothing good. They were all either dead or fearing that they soon would be dead. No more sense of patriotism for Bana, just a final realization that he had done nothing good by basically being a terrorist himself. And then they showed the WTC at the end to show how the violence had spread far enough to affect us.

Oh I got the final scene, and it was good. But the movie just seemed to peak about an hour in and die off slowly. I found myself checking the clock several times. It wasn't a bad film, but I don't think it deserved all the praise it got.

Speaking of overrated movies though, I hated Crash. I really, really dislike it when films try to be "intelligent" and instead just beat you over the head with the issues. There's racism in America, surprise! That movie offered no new insight or perspective on the situation.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 02:00 AM)
They have Pirates up to $135.6 million now, about $60 million more than what Bruckheimer had predicted. This record should stand til the next one comes out.

i saw that...it made me throw up a little.

I saw The Sting last night (Newman, Redford classic) on AMC for the first time; what a great movie.

I've been unimpressed by the Spiderman movies.

I've been thinking about getting Netflix lately. What are some opinions or experiences on it? Blockbuster is a ripoff. Family Video isn't bad (2 movies, 5 nights, 1 buck), but I often find myself wandering around the store for up to an hour before I find something. My girlfriend and I are pretty picky when it comes to movies (luckily we have similar tastes), so I thought being able to browse through Netflix and choose that way would be good. Thoughts?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Watched Clay Pigeons for the first time this past weekend. Highly entertaining. Although Vince Vaughn's accent was a little shaky he still played a great role.

Good flick. I liked that one more than I expected to.

That movie, A Scanner Darkly, is that animation the type used in those annoying commercials?

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
watched underworld evolution and firewall yesterday. both were alright. would like firewall better if it weren't cut from the typical harrison ford movie mold....

What? You mean quiet and unassuming old man with a happy family gets f***ed with by random-accented villain and said old main turns into ass-kicking machine that takes out ~10-20 bad guys by himself?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
I saw The Sting last night (Newman, Redford classic) on AMC for the first time; what a great movie.

I've been unimpressed by the Spiderman movies.

I've been thinking about getting Netflix lately. What are some opinions or experiences on it? Blockbuster is a ripoff. Family Video isn't bad (2 movies, 5 nights, 1 buck), but I often find myself wandering around the store for up to an hour before I find something. My girlfriend and I are pretty picky when it comes to movies (luckily we have similar tastes), so I thought being able to browse through Netflix and choose that way would be good. Thoughts?

First, The Sting is so good it hurts. I love that movie. Proven mathematical formula: Newman + drunk (or at least fake drunk) + cards = Instant Classic. As for Netflix, I really love the site. As you rate movies, the site recommends movies based on your preferences. I actually just finished watching a Netflix recommendation called Downfall, it was absolutely fantastic. Personally, I don't really watch a whole lot of the new mainstream movies, but I have heard that people have problems getting the hot new releases from Netflix.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)

Care to explain?

Blockbuster online has had the exact same pricing for comparable plans from Netflix for months. I get 2 at a time/unlimited per month for $14.99 plus a free in-store movie/game rental every week. At my rate of watching, this has given me the equivalent of 3 at a time. If you live near a Blockbuster, there's no reason to choose Netflix over them.

Before I chose my plan, I picked 10 movies in my head and checked both Netflix and BB for availability. I think the final result was that Blockbuster had 8 and Netflix 6, erasing any doubts I had about selection. Netflix was faster when they were small, but now most reports show that the two are about the same. Netflix also got alot of bad press for reportedly "throttling" the rates of frequent movie watchers though it was never confirmed.

As for Firewall, I found it very atypical of the standard Harrison Ford fare due to the glaring lack of finger pointing (there used to be an awesome gallery of all his finger pointing scenes that I was gonna link here).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
What? You mean quiet and unassuming old man with a happy family gets f***ed with by random-accented villain and said old main turns into ass-kicking machine that takes out ~10-20 bad guys by himself?

that would be it... :lol:

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
Care to explain?

Blockbuster online has had the exact same pricing for comparable plans from Netflix for months. I get 2 at a time/unlimited per month for $14.99 plus a free in-store movie/game rental every week. At my rate of watching, this has given me the equivalent of 3 at a time. If you live near a Blockbuster, there's no reason to choose Netflix over them.

Before I chose my plan, I picked 10 movies in my head and checked both Netflix and BB for availability. I think the final result was that Blockbuster had 8 and Netflix 6, erasing any doubts I had about selection. Netflix was faster when they were small, but now most reports show that the two are about the same. Netflix also got alot of bad press for reportedly "throttling" the rates of frequent movie watchers though it was never confirmed.

As for Firewall, I found it very atypical of the standard Harrison Ford fare due to the glaring lack of finger pointing (there used to be an awesome gallery of all his finger pointing scenes that I was gonna link here).

I was talking about their normal, go-to-the-store-and-pick-a-video-up prices, not their online plan. The blockbusters around me all have crap selection anyway.

And I think netflix's 2-unlimited plan is $9.99

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Blockbuster is Satan. Even if they charged $1 a month and all the rentals you wanted, I would still avoid them.

...i would take that deal.

i've been watching a lot of movies this summer

Se7en - kinda crazy, but still very good. kevin spacey is one of my fav's

Taxi Driver - very very very good but somewhat disturbing

25th Hour - Edward Norton is a good actor

The Jerk - Absolutley hilarious movie, one of steve martin's firsts

Catch Me If You Can - Cool story and interesting

Four Brothers - disappointing, but i didnt really expect much other than an excuse for violence and shooting

Traffic - good

Snatch - Great cast in that movie

The Hunted - some of my friends didnt like it, but i did

Usual Suspects - kevin spacey rocks, and a twist at the end

Saw II - i usually hate gory movies but the Saw movies are so well done

Good Will Hunting - watch it

American History X - extremely interesting movie, edward norton is good

Heat - Hot damn this movie is very very very good

Fight Club - i heard a lot about it and for some reason never got around to seeing it until now. right now its my favorite movie

Tokyo Drift - sucked

Weekend at Bernies - Funny but it gets kind of old

you can probably tell i like movies about crime and thefts and i like Kevin Spacey, Edward Norton, Robert De Niro, Benicio Del Toro

Saw Munich....Tooooooooo long. It was OK not Oscar Nomination worthy though....maybe because Spielbergo's name was on it.

Running Scared....Great violence and action. Thoroughly enjoyable movie.

Derailed. Last 10-15 minutes were great.....the rest of the movie sucked.

Primer. Excellent concept, liked the movie....i think the science talk could have been toned down a lot though.

Rented and watched Syriana on Saturday. Another let down. The movie never really developed the plot. It was broad, but shallow. The "vast conspiracy" and such was barely played out, and instead we got pointless scenes with Clooney's kid or the lawyer's alcoholic father. I don't see what all of the acclaim was for that movie, either.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 06:07 AM)
Rented and watched Syriana on Saturday. Another let down. The movie never really developed the plot. It was broad, but shallow. The "vast conspiracy" and such was barely played out, and instead we got pointless scenes with Clooney's kid or the lawyer's alcoholic father. I don't see what all of the acclaim was for that movie, either.

Saw the same movie this weekend, had a similar response. I found the story line to be fairly well thought out and quite deep, but it was not presented in a way that allowed any of the threads to fully develop. I came out of it wishing they'd have tried to do the film pulp-fiction style, giving each storyline a chance to fully run its course before flopping off onto the next one. It bounced around way too fast to develop anything.

Anyway, at least Dr. Bashir's finding work.