Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally saw Hero. Damn was that a really good movie. Highly recommend it. Some really cool martial art scenes and a pretty good story.

Warning, you better be able to read if you see the movie though cause it is in subscripts. Its a Japanese movie.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I finally saw Hero. Damn was that a really good movie.  Highly recommend it.  Some really cool martial art scenes and a pretty good story. 

Warning, you better be able to read if you see the movie though cause it is in subscripts.  Its a Japanese movie.

And by Japanese Jason means Chinese. ;)

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
I would place this up with "Halloween" and "Escape From New York" as Carpenter's best work.

Not in the top 3. His remake of The Thing, poor man's Alien though it was, is still up there on the intensity scale and has to be considered superior to Precinct 13.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Not in the top 3.  His remake of The Thing, poor man's Alien though it was, is still up there on the intensity scale and has to be considered superior to Precinct 13.

Flaax, what about "They Live"? "I came to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Flaax, what about "They Live"?  "I came to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum."

Well, while Rowdy Roddy Piper certainly is a sign of quality B-movie cinematic entartainment, I'd have to put they live a little further down on the list of Carpenter offerings. I'd put Vampires, Prince of Darkness, and even The Fog (and I think I'm the only person who ever say that film) above They Live. I've not yet seen Ghosts of Mars so I don't know how that compares.

Maybe it's a guilty pleasure admission, but I think one of Carpenter's best films - and one that shows he's got some depth - is the now near-cult status action/comedy Big Trouble In Little China. The guy put Kurt Russell to work for a while there, didn't he? Then there was Starman which I really disliked.

Saw Maria Full of Grace--really an incredible movie. Definitely made me rethink my lifelong dream of being a drug mule. Anyway, highly recommend, the lady that plays Maria was really amazing...